Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Was Alfred Hitchcock a genius?

Was Alfred Hitchcock a genius?

Posted - October 16, 2016

Responses

Me too.  He created not just one but many masterpieces.
      October 16, 2016 6:47 PM MDT

Pretty much, yeah.  That illustration of him in the opening scene,and the whole opening scene, sure was.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 20, 2019 9:54 PM MDT
      October 16, 2016 6:57 PM MDT

Hitchcock used the close-up and human facial expressions like no other director. If people in general just watched maybe ten of his films and maybe ten Michael Curtiz movies, people would become smarter human beings with better souls. 

You want to learn about movies and life, become an arduous viewer of Hitchcock and Curtiz films. This post was edited by peaceofmind50 at November 6, 2016 4:28 PM MST
      October 16, 2016 7:12 PM MDT

I wouldn't go that far, but he was, undoubtedly, the best director of his generation. He had the outstanding gift of scaring the crap out of people by playing on their anxieties. And what made him such a natural, was his own severe anxieties. Like being terrified of police officers, or anybody official position of power, for example. Even the sight of a cop uniform would make him extremely nervous. He could understand people's fears. And that certainly helped bring out the best in him, and he was the best at it. 
      October 16, 2016 9:03 PM MDT

Great points, here, righty1!
    :)

It's hard for me to officially declare someone a 'genius.' But he would be one I could, I think.
    Though I would say I find many of his films are masterpieces of, dare I say, 'genius?' Ha! Seriously, I don't know --  but I love his movies and from what I've seen/heard/read about him, I find the guy as fascinating.

Now -- director Michael Haneke? Oh, my, I love his stuff! (As unnerving as most of his films are!)

Hi righty1 -- How are you by the way? I don't see you often enough anymore.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 20, 2019 9:54 PM MDT
      November 6, 2016 4:33 PM MST

Hi Welby! :)

I think he's probably the closest a movie director can be to being a genius. Psycho, Birds, and Rope are all masterpieces to me. They are ridiculously good movies. 

As for Haneke? I don't know much about him, tbh, so I can't say. I do, however, like his beard. It's a perfect shape. So if his movies are as good as his beard, the will no doubt be great! lol :)

I'm doing ok, I guess. I don't have much time for being online right now. I'm going through a pretty rough divorce, I'm on antidepressants for anxiety, and I haven't really any energy and patience to stay online long when I do. But that's just the way it is right now. 

See you around, bud. 
      November 10, 2016 2:46 PM MST

For some reason, I only now came across your reply here. Sorry for taking literally years to respond.
    Based on your recent posts I'm assuming things are going a bit smoother this year for you as opposed to three years ago.

May 20, 2019 9:26 PM MDT

OMG! I don't even remember writing about that. 

But, yeah, things are much better for me now. :)

Thanks! :)
      May 22, 2019 4:27 PM MDT

I'm glad to hear!

Yeah, Haneke DOES have a good beard.
    I highly recommend any of his movies in general. I've seen quite a few of him. The first one of his I saw, and most striking for me, is his original 1997 "Funny Games." NOT his American remake that he himself made with the same title - - I've not seen it; have no desire to see it since I've heard it's basically a shot-for-shot remake of the original, only in the English language. The original [and original cast] are perfect to me. I figure why would I bother watching another one? 

Image result for 1997 funny games movie poster This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 22, 2019 6:25 PM MDT
      May 22, 2019 6:22 PM MDT