Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Has your motor vehicle ever been stolen?

Has your motor vehicle ever been stolen?

Posted - December 9, 2020

Responses

No.  Who'd want it?   
      December 9, 2020 10:26 AM MST

Not this one. 
      December 9, 2020 12:09 PM MST

Please don't steal it.   :   (
      December 9, 2020 12:17 PM MST

No. But my Dad did have a truck stolen a few years back.  He had just bought it from the person. And had not even had the chance to get insurance on it yet.   
      December 9, 2020 2:16 PM MST

Thankfully, I have never had that particular bad experience.
      How about you?

~

December 9, 2020 3:10 PM MST

Twice.The first one was stolen by someone who wanted to go on a joyride and was found by the police early the next morning. The second was by my stepdaughter right out of our driveway. At least she put fuel in it.
      December 9, 2020 5:08 PM MST

December 13, 2020 9:54 AM MST

Ari's was stolen by an ice addict.
    Fortunately, the police found it and we got it back.
      December 9, 2020 4:02 PM MST

Ice addict?
      December 9, 2020 5:08 PM MST

The illicit street drug crystal meth is also known as “ice”.
    ~

December 9, 2020 7:25 PM MST

Not know that I did.
      December 9, 2020 8:35 PM MST

Not yet, but let's not jinx it by talking about it.
      December 10, 2020 7:59 AM MST

• Nope. I've had two bikes stolen from me, though. 
      December 11, 2020 12:22 PM MST

When I was 15 years old, I received my very first brand-new 10-speed bicycle as a Christmas gift. Prior to that, all the bikes I had ever owned were either used or were complied from bike parts that my two brothers and I collected and built on our own. We’d get parts from junk piles, trash cans, given to us by friends or neighbors, trading and swapping with friends, etc. We grew up poor, so new items were really a luxury that we could never afford. It was a great experience, though, because from about age 7 or 8, I began to learn everything there was to know about the workings of a bike and how to assemble, disassemble, troubleshoot, repair and modify them. It also taught me about the use of tools, which, by the way, we also acquired piecemeal. Our bikes were conglomerations of several brands, makes, models, colors, types, sizes, but most importantly, they worked. Whenever they didn’t work or stopped working, we set ourselves busy at getting them in running order. We were not anomalies either, because our whole neighborhood was poor, it was a rite of passage to build your own bikes. [One day, I should recount on here how we improvised with lack of brakes or no bicycle seat or making our own contraptions to ride three or four kids on one bike. Yet I digress. Back to the story.] Another aspect of being poor kids was lack of transportation. We could barely afford bus fare on a regular basis, so those Rube Goldberg* bicycles of ours took us everywhere around town and back.

Anyway, my mother shocked and surprised me that Christmas with a giant box that took up the entire living room. It was a new bicycle, assembly required. I immediately set about with my makeshift set of tools and spent hours painstakingly following the written instructions, something I had never seen before nor knew they actually existed, and put that bike together. Polaroid cameras were the selfie-like fad of the day, and there are probably three or four shots of me beaming with the finished product. I don’t know how my mother swung it; she was just as poor as she had ever been and was one year into her divorce from my stepfather (after 10 years of marriage), I was so grateful to her you wouldn’t believe it. 

I was all over town on that bike, it was a beaut. I took great care of it, I was in heaven. Until that day. I can’t remember if it was two weeks or two months, but my bike got stolen right from our back yard. The loss truly taught me something about owning nice things; someone somewhere might be lurking in the shadows waiting to take them from you. Hmmmmm, I wonder if psychologically, it has something to do with my reluctance for extravagant possessions . . . 

~

*Rube Goldberg. Look it up, ’lennials. 

December 13, 2020 9:58 AM MST

Yep
         A 1971 Porsche 911
    Right out of my drive way
    People said they saw a tow truck back up to it
    and take it away.
         Then there was the attempt to steal
    my 71 Alpha Romeo. They backed it into the middle of the St
    but couldn't get the steering wheel to unlock so they left it in the 
    middle of the Street. Cops woke me up sometime later.
      December 13, 2020 9:22 AM MST

Did you get your Porsche back?
      December 13, 2020 12:22 PM MST