Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Is it politically correct to use the word 'negro'?

Is it politically correct to use the word 'negro'?

Posted - December 9, 2020

Responses

No!
      December 9, 2020 5:31 PM MST

You seriously need to ask?
      December 9, 2020 5:34 PM MST

It's not PC to talk at all anymore.  No matter what one says, some Karen somewhere is going to be offended.
      December 9, 2020 6:16 PM MST

You've offended both actual Karens and "Karens" everywhere now. Way to go!

:)
      December 12, 2020 9:48 PM MST

Dependiende en el contexto e en el idioma. Por ejemplo, la palabra tiene otro significado en español que en inglés.

Depende del contexto e en el idioma. Por ejemplo, la palabra tiene otros significados en español que en inglés.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at December 12, 2020 12:14 PM MST
      December 9, 2020 7:22 PM MST

Спасибо ... согласен...I don't speak Spanish, but I understand what you are saying. Thanks.
      December 9, 2020 8:42 PM MST

That’s not fair of me to exclude the English translation.

Depende del contexto e en el idioma. Por ejemplo, la palabra tiene otros significadoa en español que en inglés.

It depends on the context and on the language. For example, the word has other meanings in Spanish than it does in English.
    ~

December 9, 2020 10:29 PM MST

Thanks...agreed.
      December 12, 2020 1:22 PM MST

Myself, I always try to subordinate my own innate sense of morality to that of the crowd. I mean, people are so smart and so sensitive and far-seeing these days - they can be 100% trusted like never before. Anyway, having to think for yourself and make objective assessments and generate opinions about things is so godawful tiresome. I read a book about this once, I think it was in a book, or it might have been on the Internet. Wait, no, I heard it from that young guy working at the gas station on George Washington Boulevard - oh, are we are still allowed to mention the name of that dastardly, manipulative bastard?    
      December 10, 2020 7:17 AM MST

What word would you have us use? Please, feel free, tell us what we must call ourselves lest we inadvertently make ourselves persona non grata, all over again. This stuff makes me want to puke into an empty coconut - or in a missionary's skull. Most of those supposed artefacts of pre-colonial days are probably fake - the supply of missionary meat was always meagre at best, and anyway, the supply fizzled out decades since - except, ahem, where I come from. Pass me the hot sauce - if you'd be so kind.

December 10, 2020 8:20 AM MST

I'm told African American is the correct phrase now.

I dislike the term "politically correct". It implies that something is only correct in a political context but no other.
    But terms of acceptance and respect should never be matters of mere politeness or diplomacy;
    they should come from the heart, from a willingness to call a person by the term chosen by the members of the group with which they identify.
    If that name changes from time to time, then so be it. This post was edited by inky at December 12, 2020 1:24 PM MST
      December 10, 2020 5:05 PM MST

Sorry to add to the confusion, but even among people of the ethnicity to which they most apply, the “correct” or “proper” or “accepted” or “acceptable” term is under hot debate. Being of that ethnicity myself, I will render my perspective.  

Many people of my ethnicity, myself included, do not consider African-American nor African American to be the appropriate term. I am Black. It is not demeaning, insulting, derogatory, inaccurate, etc. There are some people of my ethnicity who disagree and prefer African-American or African American to be appropriate. They are not wrong. I am not wrong. If they choose to be referred to in the way they consider befitting, and I choose differently, neither of us are wrong. There are deeply-rooted reasons for each of our stances, many revolving back several generations, decades, centuries, and crossing a variety of geographical, political, emotional, and historical lines. Unfortunately, some people become extremely offended if others refer to them in ways they find incorrect, I am not that way, because I acknowledge that from the outside looking in, it’s not easy to understand or know which is correct. It’s also important to note that you are not incorrect in what you have written, I just want to make the distinction that there is not merely one simple answer that encompasses the entire issue.

Now, as I stated above, I know this is confusing, because if it is a conundrum for us, the people in question, then there’s no way it cannot be confusing for people not of this ethnicity.

The impression of a what is supposedly a correct term or the correct term evolves over time. Black, African-American, Afro-American, Colored, Negro, Mulatto, and deservedly unmentionable ones have had their turn in the box, as can be seen throughout history.

A term that I do despise with seething anger is “people of color”. All people have color, even Albinos. To assume that it’s respectful to call me “of color”, what does that say about someone who is “not of color”? Is he or she transparent? See-through? Invisible? Non-existent? Or does it go the other direction; better than, higher than, more than, more important than, etc.?

____

December 10, 2020 9:27 PM MST

Thanks for the clarification, Randy.

Whenever it's appropriate, I'll ask the individual how they like to be referred to when describing them.

Unless appearance is having a direct affect on what's happening in someone's life and is relevant to the topic of conversation, it's unnecessary to describe how they look. 

I must admit, I like the term "black" - for me it seems simple, direct and easy.

Are there specific groups for whom the different terms have different meanings, and what are they?

It's true that all have colour, even Albinos. It's a bit weird to imagine a truly colourless person; would their inner organs be permanently visible? 

I'm a palish white if living in a cold climate, but honey-coloured living here in the subtropics. I have far more moles than I'd like, and need to get an annual skin cancer check. My eyes are grey and my mouse-brown hair has just begun turning grey at the temples. I don't object to being called white - but I'll admit to feeling a bit uncomfortable about its resonances. I cannot escape the fact that my kind and my ancestors have been among the ones who did some of the worst.

Descent

Using his sword,

plunged in cunts, guts and necks,

Harold the Red conquered Brionne, in Normandy,

and became the duke, or “Herr,”

that built a medieval fort, and its court.

His son was an aide de camp 

bearing messages with a sword,

as William struck 

through lungs and livers in England.

When William won,

he thanked my ancestor 

with an earldom in Oxfordshire.

Then his descendant, 

with a Bible as his sword,

stole the land of the Wongi people,

and with it their Tongue 

and their Dreaming,

with the blessing of the Crown.

My ancestor herded and locked them 

in chains behind high fences 

near Kalgoorlie goldfields,

and with whips and tortures

turned them into slaves.

Oh, Wongi! Oh! 

How can “Sorry” be enough?

Who can live with this?

With such a pedigree,

is it any wonder

I took the “cour” out of Harcourt

and became a Hart?

149 words @ 120 ppm = 1.241 mins / say 1¼ mins

© Manna Hart, Tyalgum, Aug, 2018

December 10, 2020 10:03 PM MST

Is that a yes or a no?
      December 12, 2020 1:25 PM MST

Complicated. 

~

December 12, 2020 2:45 PM MST

Good point about 'people of color'. I'd not really thought about it being offensive, and had thought about the fact that all people have a color/tint/hue. But I didn't think about it provoking seething anger, and have used the term because of the Black/African-American debate. I've engaged with people about that debate, because I'm pretty sure other countries don't use terms like African-French, African-English, African-Australian, do they? But I'm getting off topic, I think. It's my understanding from my (unfortunately rather limited) experiences with, um, black people, that most Black people (is "black" supposed to be capitalized?) prefer to be referred to as "Black". 

(I'm now wondering if this is even going to make sense). Yes, I'm high. 

I do think that "people of color" had good intentions. Its language is based on  person-centered discussion and language used in a wide array of services and educational material. It's good stuff, generally speaking. I agree that 'person of color' is a bit of a fail. 

December 12, 2020 9:45 PM MST

In their time, many (NOT ALL) such monikers or appellations or terms are born of good intentions, or at least innocent, mundane intentions.  The passage of time, however, and the evolution of social norms, cultural norms, political norms, etc., morphs references to groups of people from acceptable to unacceptable and vice-versa.

Some people assume that saying “people of color” is not only respectable and respectful, but also downright complimentary. Those people can be found using the term to refer to themselves or to others. 

~

December 12, 2020 10:36 PM MST

Yes, I see your point. The same can be said about the way other sub-groups of people are now, and have been referred to in the past. 

Homosapiens are so complicated compared to other species! I guess that's what having such an advanced brain gets us! 

Imagine if other species argued about how they were sub-grouped. 

(Overheard at Westminster Dog Show backstage  "We are not really natives of Australia, I demand we change the name of our breed from Australian Shepherd! )

Deep thoughts. 
      December 13, 2020 8:59 AM MST

I don't think I have ever heard anyone use that term when referring to people.  
    I would say generally no ot is not politically correct. 
      December 10, 2020 6:10 PM MST

• It's correct to use the word 'negro' in Spanish.  It means black.  I say personas negras in Spanish, so I would say black people in English instead of negroes

The exception is the translation of proper names.  In Spanish, I say Soy de Río Negro.  In English, I would say I'm from Río Negro instead of I'm from Black River.
      December 12, 2020 12:34 PM MST