Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Each state is allowed TWO US Senators. Know how the number of congressfolks allotted is calculated for each state?

Each state is allowed TWO US Senators. Know how the number of congressfolks allotted is calculated for each state?

Ever hear of APPORTIONMENT? There are 435 seats in the House. At the conclusion of each CENSUS (taken every ten years) the results are used to caclulate the number of house memberships (seats) to which each state is entitled. MAKES SENSE.

So why isn't the Senate 100 seats apportioned likewise?

Why should a state with very few people get the same SENATE leverage as one with huge numbers of people?

HOW IS THAT FAIR?

It's like dumbing down a class to accommodate the lowest intellectual capacity. How is that fair to the bright kids?

Why not throw out electoral college altogether and simply go by the most logical thing...WHO GOT THE MOST VOTES?

Why can't the people's choice RULE? A government by the people for the people OF THE PEOPLE.

We vote for the person we want. PERIOD. Votes are counted and the winner takes the job! Anything else is a mickey mouse way to cheapen and dilute the will of the people.

This time around the pandora trump wants to OVERTURN THE ELECTION and just give him the job again. He LOST BY OVER 7 MILLION VOTES. Why give a loser the job? He got the job in 2016 and LOST the popular vote by almost 3 million. This time he lost by doubled plus. REJECTED by the people. He wants to ignore that.

You see what not getting his way does right? 24/7 whinya** lies! AARRGGHH! No one can shut him up. Why is that?

Posted - December 14, 2020

Responses

Yes. Each state gets 2 Senators.  Senators are representives for the STATE.  Without this being the case the Constitution would never have passed. 
      December 14, 2020 6:15 AM MST

According to Madison, the idea behind equal representation in the Senate is partially to recognize that each state is equal.
    IE: California is no more important to the federal government than Wyoming is.
    Another part of the reason is to prevent a populous state from passing legislation that is strictly for its benefit, at the expense of less populous states.  The Senate is a "check and balance" on the House.

https://www.cop.senate.gov/about/origins-foundations/idea-of-the-senate/1787Federalist62.htm

December 14, 2020 7:18 AM MST

Moneywise California is a giant and Wyoming is an ant. Money talks. Sorry I don't buy it for a minit Walt. We have 55 ELECTORS. How many does Wyoming have? I'm just sayin'....Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 18, 2020 3:07 AM MST

Money changes.
    Until the gold rush - Wyoming would have been ranked more important to the US than California, due to ranching (food).
      December 18, 2020 7:18 AM MST

So MONEY is the deciding thing? Always and forever? Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      December 19, 2020 11:20 AM MST

No - I was pointing out that money makes no difference, as far as the "equality" of each state in the Senate.
    Neither does population.  (Well, at least once a territory reaches a population allowing it to become a state and get Senate representation.)
      December 21, 2020 7:20 AM MST

So if California contribute one billion dollars each year to the federal government and Wyoming contribute one cent it would make no difference? I see. Interesting philosophy. Money makes a difference everywhere else. One exception? Hard to swallow offhand superficially. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy First Day of Winter Monday to thee and thine! :)
      December 21, 2020 7:45 AM MST