Active Now

Thebigd
Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Education » What is the best purchase you ever made, and why? What is the worst, and why?

What is the best purchase you ever made, and why? What is the worst, and why?

Posted - December 16, 2020

Responses

In 1977 I bought a 1974 Olds 88 for $2400. Low mileage, best car I ever had, never any problems with it. Finally sold in 1988 for $300.

Worst purchase was an older 10' x  50' house trailer I paid $5000 for. Was simply just not suitable to be lived in for a cold Canadian winter.
      December 16, 2020 11:57 PM MST

Robotic vacuum cleaner is up toward the top of that list.  My iron bacon press is another fave.  I don't cook bacon; I use it to toast sandwiches or flour tortillas. 
      December 17, 2020 12:52 AM MST

Thanks! I've been wondering about those robots for ages.
    Did you have to change your furniture in any way? For instance, remove floor rugs, or lift furniture onto wheels or legs?
    Our place is tiny and cluttered - so tiny that I get down on my knees with a dustpan and brush or a bowl of water and a wet cloth to clean the floor.

Creative use of useless item - sounds like you're a good cook! :)
      December 17, 2020 1:20 PM MST

I really love the Roomba.  I bought the least expensive one of the iRobot brand.  The only things I've done to make my place "robot ready" was to have wires where it can't get hold of them.  I have two of them, one for upstairs and one for down.  I put a strip of felt around the front so it doesn't mar my baseboards.  The furniture legs have gotten some marks but I just wipe them with scratch cover.  The convenience is so valuable to me.  When I run the downstairs one I pull the dining chairs away from the table for the vacuum gets under the table and all around each table leg well.  One thing I did find was that some of the brands and models are taller than others.  The Roomba is short enough to get under the edge of the kitchen cabinets really well.  I almost bought another brand and thought to measure that space...so glad I did.  Right now is probably the best time to find a deal  I think I paid $189 for mine and they were on sale.  I think they were $269 regularly.  That was several years ago.  They are still going strong.   I use the hand washing method in my bathroom floors.  The roombas do a good job on the hard floors too though.  Oh, and I named mine.  I have Zeke downstairs and Junior upstairs.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 19, 2020 12:35 PM MST
      December 17, 2020 11:55 PM MST

You’d think the manufacturers would have thought of including the felt strip to keep the product from marring or marking up furniture, right? The fact that you bought yours several years ago might mean that more recent models have been improved upon by having that feature. 
      Great write-up, by the way. 

December 18, 2020 5:49 AM MST

I'm not sure.  I bought my second one a couple months after the first and there is a difference in how they sense an upcoming block like a wall or furniture leg.  The older one keeping going pretty strong but the newer one slows down considerably until it has made contact.  One of cool things is that it will not fall down the stairs.  It will run right up to the edge of the stairs and reverse itself.  I wish there was one to do the stairs.  If I had grass to cut I would get the robot electric lawnmower.  :) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 19, 2020 12:39 PM MST
      December 19, 2020 12:04 AM MST

December 19, 2020 6:55 AM MST

Zeke and Junior! Ha ha! I love it. :)
    Thanks for the info. If ever I'm lucky enough to live in a larger place I'll get a Roomba on your recommendation.
    That was such a good write up that I reckon if you wanted it you could get a job with a consumers' choice magazine.
      December 19, 2020 12:38 PM MST

Thanks. 
      December 20, 2020 12:58 PM MST

The best purchase I made was buying the co-op apartment in which I live after my landlord's bank foreclosed on him for non-payment of his mortgage.  I have a one bedroom apartment about half an hour from Manhattan, paid cash, so I have no mortgage.  It is worth 500% more than I paid for it.

The worse purchase I made was buying a used Pontiac 6000 when I first learned how to drive.  Every Tuesday and Thursday it was being towed to the mechanic for repairs.  I finally sold it to some kid who wanted it for parts and used that money as a deposit on a brand-new Saturn.
      December 17, 2020 3:17 PM MST

Wait, how come you get to buy an entire planet? I didn’t even know they’re up for sale! No one tells me anything! Grrrrrrr. 

December 17, 2020 5:22 PM MST

It was on sale - I couldn't resist. :)
      December 17, 2020 7:14 PM MST

Brilliant! I'd love a one bedroom apartment only half an hour from Manhattan. Imagine living saturated with all that culture! How wonderful!

First car - education is expensive - I trust you've forgiven your younger self. :)
      December 19, 2020 12:46 PM MST

It's remained a safe neighborhood over the past 42 years.  It's become a more inclusive neighborhood, which I like and you can't say that about too many other places.  
      December 19, 2020 9:36 PM MST

Best: the floor plans for converting unused basement space into individual cells for sequestered sandwich-making wenches working areas for the food service volunteers who hang out in my place . . .

Worst: that danged marriage license. 

Wait, my wife is listening?  Why didn’t you say so? Er, um, I‘d like to edit my responses, please.

Best: that blessed marriage license. 

Worst: those danged floors plans for converting unused basement space into individual cells for sequestered sandwich-making wenches working areas for the food service volunteers who hang out at my place . . .

(Cough, cough.)

December 17, 2020 5:37 PM MST

Chortling out loud! :D
      December 19, 2020 12:48 PM MST

My home. As a residence, base, haven; not an investment.
      February 6, 2021 3:28 PM MST