Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Is the cdc stopping people from going thru their families stuff after they die?

Is the cdc stopping people from going thru their families stuff after they die?

my sister died back in sept, my brother was going to pay someone to go thru her stuff, we dont live in the same area she did, i asked my brother recently why noone's done that yet, i was hoping maybe they couldve sent some family pictures or whatever, he said noone could go in there cause the place is taped up, not sure why it would be, she died, noone killed her that i know of and she didnt have covid, and neither do we so why cant anyone go there and go thru her stuff even 3 months later?

Posted - December 18, 2020

Responses

Not to my knowledge. Did she own or rent?  If rent the landlord may get rid of her stuff if no one empties it out for the next tenant. 

If owned with a mortgage, the bank will forclose if payments are not being made. 

Possible either landlord or bank locked it for nonpayment.
      December 18, 2020 4:19 PM MST

she rented but she cant pay if she died
      December 18, 2020 4:39 PM MST

The landlord likely locked it up. But someone would have to talk to the landlord about the stuff. I think sometimes they rent a storage building to put the items in and the just let it go up or auction.  I am sure there are laws they must follow that would vary by state.  Sorry. This post was edited by my2cents at December 18, 2020 5:43 PM MST
      December 18, 2020 5:42 PM MST

Perhaps there is some legal red tape to get through. Generally, only executors of the estate can have access to the deceased's assets. The CDC is not the holdup.
      December 18, 2020 6:34 PM MST

The CDC can't stop anyone from doing that.
      December 18, 2020 6:36 PM MST

Again, you are asking the wrong people.  Whoever put the tape up....that's your target information source.
      December 19, 2020 12:19 AM MST