Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Most bills are thousands of pages long and most legilator's don't ever bother reading them!" Really?

"Most bills are thousands of pages long and most legilator's don't ever bother reading them!" Really?

If they don't READ them how do they know whether to vote con or pro?

Oh right. They do the partisan thing!. Whatever bozo wants bozo gets. Sigh. What a crock.

Posted - December 21, 2020

Responses

For me, it's not so much that I dislike most politicians but more that I don't trust most politicians. I think you're right about most politicians not liking each other. Even those of the same political party attack each other and would do almost anything to get what they want.

When I was in high school my three favorite classes were English Literature, American History, and Government Class. Most of the students hated Government and American History but I loved every minute of it.

Today, however, it's more of a chore for me to listen to and read about anything associated with politics and government. I feel that way not because of political party affiliation or preference but rather because I'm disturbed about what it has become as a whole. There's actually no real good reason for it to be this way either. At least in my opinion.
      December 25, 2020 1:06 PM MST

Well, when I can't trust someone, I don't like them, so there's that. :)  I agree that even within each party, there's a sort of competition foe who can get the most for their constituents.  It's really all well and good to want a lot for those who elected you, but not at the expense of others whether your party or not.  

I didn't pay much attention to politics until later in my life when I realized how important it was to be and informed voter, but things may have begun to turn sour by that time.  Rarely in my adult life have I felt that the government was looking out for the best interests of the citizenry.  

The greed, graft, corruption, etc. have become so ingrained in politics that it may take another American Revolution to fix the problems.  
      December 25, 2020 5:23 PM MST

I can understand where if you can't trust someone you would dislike them. I've heard rumblings about another Revolution for a few years now. Moreso as of late. Right here in Michigan, the citizens are fed up with the governor's draconian lockdown measures and there has been a lot of backlash and flaring tempers because of it. There are a few of our politicians that care about the people here. But many of the others, as per usual, either don't care enough to do anything about it or they are more concerned about their political careers than they are about the welfare of the people.
      December 26, 2020 7:51 AM MST

We've had our lockdowns in NY, too.  After the first one, the viral rate went way down.  When they began opening things up again, it increased.  Personally, I don't feel that asking people to wear masks in public and distance from one another is that big a hardship.  In NYC, we are densely populated and the masking has helped.  I understand that lockdowns are bad for the economy, but so is thousands of people dying.  

As for out politicians, like everywhere else, there are good ones and bad ones.  Our Mayor De Blasio is the biggest idiot imaginable.  Fortunately, he can't run for another term and I can't imagine anyone looking to replace him being worse, but I guess that could happen.
      December 26, 2020 7:57 AM MST

I agree the lockdowns are bad for the economy. I also agree that thousands of people dying is bad. To be frank, though, people will die and are dying during this lockdown and they will die if America opens back up and goes back to work. Wearing a mask and social-distancing helps to be sure but it's not now nor ever will be a cure-all. And no, I'm not a callous person. It's just that common-sense tells me this.

How many will die if America opens back up no one knows because they can't predict how many will get Covid-19, to begin with. Nor will they be able to predict the severity of it if they do catch it. The "models" the "experts" use are rarely ever accurate so that's a bust. So what's the answer? Is there an answer? Do we choose between a continued lockdown and going back to work, or is there a happy medium between the two? I will say this though, in my opinion, a lockdown for a sustained and prolonged period of time will cause a lot more grief and hardship than we already have.

This post was edited by rusureamisure? at December 27, 2020 6:55 AM MST
      December 27, 2020 4:04 AM MST

Perhaps had we ALL followed the directions in the beginning and shut down for a month or so, we could have stopped the spread.  Putting on a mask is not against the Constitution and, as you can see, those who refused to do so in the Midwest and Southwest are enjoying the rewards of their rebellion.  Maybe none of it would have made any difference, but I can tell you that when bars and restaurants reopened here in NYC, the virus rate increased and hospitalizations and deaths followed.  Same after the Thanksgiving holiday and I suspect after Christmas and New Year's as well.  This is one year out of a lifetime and people just can't give up doing what they always do for the good of everyone.  
      December 27, 2020 7:00 AM MST

While I was only 6 at that time I remember my parents, who were Kennedy supporters, being very solemn.  I remember we could only get funeral stuff on radio and TV. The difference is that in those days all people accepted the fact the you had to strive and work for your daily bread.  No one questioned that, everyone understood that.  So parties were less polarized idealogically and did not feel that their very existence was threatened by one another. 
      December 25, 2020 10:24 AM MST