Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Are you buying yourself a Christmas gift? I'm getting an Ipad so I can video with my grandkids.

Are you buying yourself a Christmas gift? I'm getting an Ipad so I can video with my grandkids.

Posted - December 22, 2020

Responses

Hanukkah came early this year, Thur, 10th to Fri, 18th Dec. Did you celebrate at all?
    Are your parents still alive?

That I-pad's a great idea with Covid around, and I'm sure your grandkids will love seeing you that way.
    They'll think it's cool.

(I reckon laptops and pads beat phones any day. They're great for long-form posts on the Mug.)

We don't do Xmas, but do do Summer Solstice (cloudy and spitting rain this year).
    I splurged and bought brown nylon saddle bags so I can take horse feeds and lunches for myself and a friend when out riding.
    I got Ari a dark green rain jacket of his choosing.
      December 22, 2020 8:29 PM MST

We don't celebrate the holidays as others do, but I would like to see my grandkids more often. My son and his clan live on our west coast...2500 miles away. My daughter's brood only live about 15 miles away, but we still cannot see them very much. My parents are long gone.
      December 23, 2020 7:51 AM MST

You can’t say you don’t have a smart phone anymore! :) They do everything a smartphone can do. 
      December 23, 2020 6:51 AM MST

I am getting a keyboard with it so I can use it as a computer downstairs. I have an upcoming surgery and I will not be able to come up here for a few weeks and I don't want to miss all of your smiley faces.
      December 23, 2020 7:53 AM MST

December 23, 2020 8:05 AM MST

I think you’ll like it, So much better than sitting at a desk on a olden days computer. 
      December 23, 2020 9:59 AM MST

Not if my wife is around. She will be watching TV and getting stoned and talkative and annoying. That's why I come up here.
      December 23, 2020 10:56 AM MST

You should load your iPad up with music and invest in some noise-canceling wireless headphones. 

December 23, 2020 11:30 AM MST

What’s wrong with olden days stuff?  Hello? Hello? I can’t ever hear these whippersnappers when I call them on their eye-dropper phones or whatever it is they those contraptions. Grrrrrrrr. 

~

December 23, 2020 2:07 PM MST

What is the surgery for? Is it a knee? How soon?
      December 23, 2020 1:25 PM MST

I do not participate in the commercial side nor in the commercialization of Christmas, because I believe they further contribute to the dilution of the true meanings of it.
    ~

December 23, 2020 7:48 AM MST

It's not a Hanukkah/Christmas gift. I misstated the question. It will be a convenience. And I agree with you. This post was edited by Element 99 at December 23, 2020 9:59 AM MST
      December 23, 2020 7:56 AM MST

I agree with that view.

If I were a Christian, I'd want to treat Xmas and Easter as times to reflect on and practise the paths to wisdom and unconditional love.

There are so many ways to practice those things without engaging in consumerism.
      December 23, 2020 1:30 PM MST

Many of us believe Christianity is not about so-called holidays but about a relationship. Even if we withdraw from this world we still life in it. I believe only God is capable of true wisdom and unconditional love. Which does not mean people can't be wise as well or help others. But for many of us all we can really say is that through Christ and only through Christ are we hanging on. 
      December 25, 2020 8:43 PM MST

I've often heard something slightly similar from Muslims: only God is perfect and because the demands of Islam are so high, almost every Muslim regards themself as a 'bad' Muslim. I reckon that would be tough.

But then I have something similar going on with myself. I find I cannot fully live up to my own ideals.

I guess it's part of the inevitability of being fallible. We make unintentional mistakes for all sorts of reasons. Or occasionally we knowingly give way to temptation and then regret it later when we experience the unavoidable consequences.

What do you mean when you say, "hanging on"?
      December 25, 2020 10:26 PM MST

My friend got her grandkids an iPad for the same reason. She has health issues and can't see them in person. But she says all she get is video of the kids snatching the iPad from each other and running away laughing. Good luck with yours.

Since I buy myself whatever I want, whenever I want, I'm not specifically buying anything for Christmas. I also don't buy gifts for others so my annual tradition to make a significant donation or gift to a person or organization each year. This year I donated socks and knit caps to local EMT's who pass them out to the homeless population in our city.
      December 23, 2020 8:07 PM MST

I think that's wonderful! Hand-knitted socks are the best - more comfortable, warmer and more durable. What fabulous gifts to those who need it most! :)
      December 25, 2020 10:29 PM MST