Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever ignore the sign that says "Last gas station for 100 miles"? It was true. But had you gassed up completely or didn't check?

Ever ignore the sign that says "Last gas station for 100 miles"? It was true. But had you gassed up completely or didn't check?

Do you take precautions?
Do you double check to make sure you have taken care of everything?
Do you do preventive maintenance so you don't break down at a bad time?
Are you a good owner? Do you treat your belongings with care and kindness?

Are you completely ad lib and just wing it?

Posted - December 23, 2020

Responses

I try not to let my gas gauge go below half a tank.  Who knows what may happen and if I have to evacuate quickly, I want to be able to get as far away as possible before I run out of gas.
      December 23, 2020 2:26 PM MST

That's us too L. To a T. Never know what lies ahead. Give yourself a little padding. Some wiggle room.Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday Christmas Eve day 2020! :)
      December 24, 2020 1:46 AM MST

Merry Christmas Eve to you and yours. :)
      December 24, 2020 11:46 AM MST

Thank you sweetie and right backatcha! Safe travels while we stay at home. I know you know precisely what I mean by that! The sun will come up tomorrow....:)
      December 24, 2020 1:14 PM MST

I'm staying home as well.  Not taking any chances.  I just read that the TSA screened its highest number of travelers yesterday (nearly 1.2 million) since the pandemic began.  Buckle up kids - it's going to be a bumpy ride!
      December 24, 2020 3:45 PM MST

Exactly. The volcano keeps erupting (bozohead, the virus so two volacnoes) and how do you stop the eruptions? You don't. You just try to survive them. Looking very grim in California. Very grim. But everywhere else worldwide is in trouble too. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel? Thank you for your reply L. Jim's best friend's adult daughter (she is obese) is in the hospital fighting the virus.  That's as close as it has come to us so far. I fear it will come closer. Hope all is well on your end. Thank you for your reply L. IF ONLY. WHAT IF. Why couldn't everyone cooperate and "do the right thing" from the beginning? It's not as if they didn't know. They just didn't care then and don't care now. I will always wonder why?
      December 25, 2020 2:18 AM MST

I fear that the only way we will get through this is for the virus to either be prevented/treated with a vaccine or to just eliminate itself the way the Spanish flu did.  "X" number of people will get it and die and that will be the end of it.  We can only direct our own actions and, unfortunately, that means we have no control over what others do.  I'm sorry to hear about Jim's friend.  So far, I don't know anyone who has gotten the virus.  I hope to keep it that way.
      December 25, 2020 9:31 AM MST

I used to think like SpunkySenior.
    Then I realized where I live, if I have to evac - everyone else will be trying to, as well.  So I would be better off walking.  LOL

But I never ignore the "last gas station" signs.  
    I'll top off the tank - but more importantly, I gotta make sure I have some snacks.
      December 23, 2020 3:01 PM MST

Something to drink. Something to munch on. What could it hurt? You pay attention to warning signs and act accordingly. You don't sluff them off as fake or hoax and then when the sh** hits the fan complain! Makes sense. You are sensible. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Thursday. I have a little "snack" pouch I carry with us. Just in case! :)
      December 24, 2020 1:49 AM MST

I leave that to the Uber driver.
      December 23, 2020 3:25 PM MST

Many many many many years ago I called a cab. Never used a Uber or whatever they are called. Do you not drive? Thank you for your reply Stu and Happy Christmas Eve Thursday day 2020. This post was edited by RosieG at December 24, 2020 1:29 PM MST
      December 24, 2020 1:50 AM MST

I drive maybe four or five times a year, usually on vacation or going out of town for some reason. With sky-high insurance rates and limited parking, owning a car where I live is a very expensive, inconvenient hassle. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at December 24, 2020 1:29 PM MST
      December 24, 2020 2:59 AM MST

I hear ya! We got a bit of a nice surprise yesterday. Our car insurance is good for six months so twice a year we get a bill. Since Covid the rates have gone down. No one goes anywhere. Well we don't. So last February the rate was $440. In August it dropped to $420 and we had also received several checks from them...$12 and $15 to recognize the lack of driving. Our new bill due February 1?  $394.11. Not a huge discount but even so it's kinda nice. Thank you for your reply Stu! :)
      December 24, 2020 3:05 AM MST

I have GEICO and they, too, reduced the premiums, but I pay a lot more than you do - about $1400 a year in New York.  I don't drive that much, so I really should stop being lazy and do some research to see if I could get the same coverage for less with another company.  
      December 25, 2020 9:34 AM MST

Try Allstate. I have been with them for forty years and have never had a problem. I checked the lowest rates for my cars and home and they are the cheapest, along with E-Surance, which is owned by Alllstate.
      December 25, 2020 9:38 AM MST

Thanks, I'll do that.  GEICO doesn't insure co-op apartments, so I can't bundle.  I belong to AARP, so I might give them a try too.

December 25, 2020 9:44 AM MST

My sister tried AARP insurance and they had problems with it. It's worth a try, though. I joined AARP for a year and all they did was bust my mailbox with 'special offers'.
      December 25, 2020 12:16 PM MST

Sorry to hear she had problems.  I've been a member for a while now.  I do get requests for contributions for them to fight for the older persons.  Most of the time I just throw them out.
      December 25, 2020 5:27 PM MST

Back in 1979, we were traveling out west when we came to Wall, SD. After a brief stop for about an hour, we headed east and there was a big sign that said 'NO GAS FOR 250 MILES.' Obviously we filled up. Since then, numerous pit-stops have been built.
      December 24, 2020 1:35 PM MST