Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What aspects of technology do you find hard to understand?

What aspects of technology do you find hard to understand?

Posted - December 25, 2020

Responses

Not the technology itself, but the addiction folks have with it.
      December 25, 2020 9:40 AM MST

December 26, 2020 12:10 AM MST

All of them. 
      December 25, 2020 9:42 AM MST

I'm a bit like that too.
    I'm slower than most to pick up new tech.
    And most of it seems like magic to me.
      December 26, 2020 12:15 AM MST

• Programming/coding. Apparently five-year-olds can do it now, but it's not something I ever learned. 
      December 25, 2020 10:07 AM MST

Me too.
    I've heard that certain types of intelligence adapt to it much more easily.
    But there's definitely a difference with the digital natives.
    They're not afraid to tag anything that might be a button - whereas I fear if I touch the wrong one I'll loves my place and never be able to get back to where I need to be - especially if the path to finding it involved many stages or layers in a hierarchy.
    If it came to having to pull something apart (hard or soft ware) and put it back together again (so it works) I'd probably fail.
      December 26, 2020 12:19 AM MST

You are a linguist. Isn't programming/coding just another language?
      December 26, 2020 8:39 AM MST

Yes. 

~

December 25, 2020 4:23 PM MST

?????!
      December 26, 2020 12:20 AM MST

Ok, is it REALLY just a bunch of zeros and ones? Grrrrrrr. 

December 25, 2020 4:27 PM MST

Maybe we could invent a new coding process...tildes and ellipses. ~.....~~~..~.~...................~~~~~~~~~. This post was edited by Element 99 at December 26, 2020 8:40 AM MST
      December 25, 2020 5:17 PM MST

With only two symbols, wouldn't still end up being a binary code?

But if the coding was in chemicals it could end up being infinite.
      December 26, 2020 12:28 AM MST

Yep - it's amazing - labrynthine.
    And to think, our nerves work in similar ways with electrical on-off signals running down our dendrites and through our synapses.
    Our genes are switched on or off by environmental influences.
    Boggling!
      December 26, 2020 12:22 AM MST

I do not understand how pictures and sounds can float through the air and then be seen and heard in another place. Magic!
      December 25, 2020 5:21 PM MST

Excuse me, Miss, but could you please tell me if this rag smells like chloroform?
    ~

December 25, 2020 5:34 PM MST

Would you like to understand it?
    Could you be seduced into watching a doco on the topic if the narrator was Morgan Freeman or Brain Cox?
      December 26, 2020 12:25 AM MST

I have tried to understand it. It still eludes me. Just like how an airplane can fly - I sort of know the theory, but I can't get my head around it. 
      December 26, 2020 4:50 AM MST

Mobile phones. The last one I got the hang of without help was a Galaxy S4, that was three phones ago. I needed my daughter's help since (despite the fact that she's Apple).
      December 26, 2020 7:45 AM MST

Define "Technology".

It's an old word (1930s vintage or even older?) that might have had some real meaning then but is now as debased as "iconic".

Answering the question though... the one aspect underlying it all that I find hard to understand, is the mathematics; and civil, mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering are all deeply mathematical.

Somewhat similarly, I made no progress trying to learn computer programming, which needs a similar mind to that for learning maths.  

There is a big difference between using a complex piece of equipment, and understanding it. Being able to take a photo on a portable telephone and plonk it on Facebook does not mean you are "tech savvy", to use the desperately ugly slang. It means only that you can use the 'phone and Facebook. 

For example, I can produce fair results from a lathe and milling-machine. So that is one aspect of "technology" I understand, and can use,  though certainly not to professional tool-room standards.

On the other hand, I don't understand the "technology" of C++ and microprocessor circuits, in the PC I am using to type this, and on which I am trying to teach myself an engineering CAD package.  

I spent 20 years as a lab assistant using sophisticated electronic measuring-equipment controlled by PCs, and understood what I was measuring sufficiently well to do so, though not to the point of analysing the results. Yet I had to give up on a so-called "smart"-'phone.

It did not matter that I could not understand how it worked. I knew only that it was a portable UHF two-way radio that could be linked to the Internet, and contained a digital camera - and much flummery. What mattered was that I could not understand how to use it even just as a telephone. It was not at all intuitive and I could not find decent operating-instructions -  and if I had, I would probably have had to carry the important pages around with the instrument.

I sold it and bought a basic portable 'phone whose speech and text functions are its primary and secondary, and almost only, ones. (That "smart" 'phone, an 'LG 2017', seemed to have been designed so speech telephony was an auxiliary feature for which it was also physically clumsy and awkward to use.)

January 5, 2021 3:34 PM MST