Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How does your state/country compare to our state (California)?

How does your state/country compare to our state (California)?

Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside(where we live) and San Bernardino counties reported 645,548 new cases of COVID in the month of December 2020 and 658,084 new cases from March-November.

In other words almost as many news cases in ONE MONTH as we had in the previous 9 months. So January does not look good either.

I hope your state/country is faring better than California. Fingers crossed.

Posted - January 2, 2021

Responses

Ohio: 700 thousand total cases, 8962 deaths. And that is less than a third of the population of CA.
      January 2, 2021 10:45 AM MST

Thank you for your reply E. It will get much worse for us. Not a happy camper. :(
      January 2, 2021 11:01 AM MST

17 new cases in South Australia since 1 December. The recent cluster in Sydney is worrying, our state has closed the border again.
      January 2, 2021 2:17 PM MST

We're getting roughly 50,000 new cases per day, and deaths in the mid-hundreds. Compared to those four counties we're doing better in terms of cases and deaths per million, but nationally the UK is still one of the worst-affected countries. As I see it, it's partly because we're in the middle of a Europe-wide second wave, and partly because our test-and-trace system is inadequate. The only silver lining is that we've managed to roll out the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks before anyone else.
      January 3, 2021 5:35 AM MST

Also because we started badly a year ago,  by not acting firmly enough and soon enough. I think politicians are now beginning to realise and admit that.

And now a virus strain that does not seem more dangerous pathologically but is much more transmissible. It or something similar has been reported in some other European countries and now South Africa.  

So now back to essentially the same sort of lock-down as we had last March.

The Oxford / AstraZeneca vaccine's now appearing, too.

Rosie - don't you have an old patriotic saying, "God Bless America"? If the virus presently touring your country, with its far greater population and few lock-downs,  forms a similar relative to our Virus Mark Two, it will be, "God Help America". I fear this pandemic has a long way to go yet.  
      January 4, 2021 4:01 PM MST