Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Are you afraid of spiders?

Are you afraid of spiders?

Posted - January 2, 2021

Responses

Spiders do make me kind of nervous..
      January 2, 2021 6:48 PM MST

No. 
      January 2, 2021 7:27 PM MST

No. They are our friends. 

~

January 2, 2021 9:15 PM MST

I like spiders. I had a pet huntsman when I was a kid. Funnel web spiders are only a problem in Sydney, I don't live there.
      January 2, 2021 11:18 PM MST

Not much.
    I see them as occupying an important niche in nature.

Our house is full of corners where daddy-long-legs weave their complex 3D webs.

I'm wary of the deadly ones and of places where they might lurk, but mostly I'm fine with them.

Perhaps the trickiest spider moment for me was one night when I stayed in a friend's caravan and woke to the sensations of a large huntsman walking across my face.
      January 2, 2021 11:36 PM MST

No, but I don't like 'em.
      January 2, 2021 11:36 PM MST

No. I can still outrun them.
      January 3, 2021 10:11 AM MST

• Yes. I can't deal with big ones. 
      January 3, 2021 2:49 PM MST

Only the small ones.
      January 3, 2021 2:53 PM MST

Not afraid, but it doesn't mean I like them. Sometimes I find them crawling in my bathroom unexpected!
      January 17, 2021 4:03 PM MST

No. I quite like them!

Mind you  there are no species around here that are hazardous to humans.

The orb-spiders are fascinating and relaxing to watch building their webs. I've often wondered how these fine little creatures manage to find so much silk material and energy on top of that needed simply to stay alive, move about and develop eggs, from apparently so few and irregular meals. 

The Daddy-Long-legs spiders like my home, but they have gone down in my esteem a bit. They are the Barbie-dolls among arachnids with their unfeasibly long legs supporting tiny waif bodies; and trail untidy threads across walls and ceilings. I still respect them, but they lost points when I learnt their prey includes other spiders, even the lovely big Tegenaria-genus house-spiders. Those are the handsome mottled-brown animals that grow up to around 60mm leg extent, look as if trying to be tarantulas; and who delight in hiding under the furniture until an arachnaphobe enters the room, then running out into the middle of the carpet.

I have been bitten by a spider once, the ungrateful thing! I was only trying to rescue it from indoors at my work-place, and had it cupped in my hand. It was a distinctive beige and red creature, quite small; and I found later it was a Woodlouse Spider - named after its prey. This species has jaws capable of puncturing the woodlouse carapace, so it was able to give me quite a sharp nip. I didn't have any after-effects though.  
      January 29, 2021 5:02 PM MST