Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Various big tech companies are purging conservative groups from their services. Is this the beginning of the new totalitarianism?

Various big tech companies are purging conservative groups from their services. Is this the beginning of the new totalitarianism?

Facebook and Twitter have banned Trump and a number of conservative from posting on their sites.  Google has banned Parler's app from their store and Apple is threatening to do the same thing if that site does not censor it's users.  Facebook and Twitter have banned Walkaway from their sites. (This is a group that encourages people to walk away from the Democratic Party.)  Leftist used to claim that they supported free speech.  Now we see that they are the ones that are going all in on banning any speech with which they disagree.  Welcome to totalitarian rule.

Posted - January 9, 2021

Responses

The cancel culture is paving the way for a one world order.  Boundaries are being set by the far left and the media they control. 
      January 9, 2021 4:31 PM MST

If those conservative groups are posting content that is likely to incite rioting and violence, then they should remove them from their platforms.  There is nothing wrong with expressing opposing view, but when the words that are used incite people to take up arms, then they no longer have the right.  Freedom of speech doesn't permit you to yell fire in a crowded theater if there's no fire.
      January 9, 2021 4:41 PM MST

As they should remove others calling for violence as well on all sides correct....

January 9, 2021 9:27 PM MST

The question related to conservative groups and I responded to that.  No group should be able to post content that incites violence.  
      January 9, 2021 10:35 PM MST

So you agree that if Google/Apple remove Parler for lack of moderation. Then Twitter also should be removed for allowing Tweets from Iran calling for genocide of Jews in Israel.  These tweets still on the site.  
      January 10, 2021 6:26 AM MST

Why should Twitter be removed?  
      January 10, 2021 8:27 AM MST

Failure to moderate. Same reason Apple/Google/Amazon claim Parler should be.
      January 10, 2021 6:23 PM MST

Nice try, but have these sites banned Antifa or Black Lives Matter which have long histories of actual rioting?  No, they have not.  How about banning Maxine Waters who specifically told her followers to drive Trump administration officials out of public places.  Was she banned?   No.

It does not matter what conservatives say. Leftists always accuse us of incit violence.  On Wednesday, Trump specifically told the attendees to PEACEFULLY protest.  Show me one proment Republican that told his/her followers to attack the US Capital. Show me one prominent Republican the did not condemn those who did storm the Capital.

We can provide plenty of evidence of Democrats calling for violence, yet, not one of them has been banned.

https://www.newswars.com/flashback-democrat-leaders-incite-riots-violence/
    https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2021/01/democrats-were-riots-they-were-against-them-daniel-greenfield/
    However, conservatives can call for peaceful protests and they are accused of inciting riots and get banned.

This is not about stopping people from inciting riots.  It's about silencing those with positions with which the left disagrees.
      January 10, 2021 6:16 PM MST

Yep they have learned that if they control the message they can win. (Aside from fraudulent elections) 

Did you see where Trump is talking of starting his own social media site? 

Parler does moderate their users. I know because there is an article with a bunch of liberals complaining they were banned. 

Parler should sue Google and Apple. 
    Trump should as well. Candace Owners did. She won and got an apology and her tweets restored.  She may have had to sue their "fact checkers" because of the Sec 230 protections. 
      January 9, 2021 6:17 PM MST

Just heard Amazon, who Parler uses as their web server, is taking Parler offline. 
    They will be down until they can get another server and rebuild their site. 

They claim right wing to be fascists....

Many setting up on gab.com for twitter/Parler type media. The own their own physical servers so the cannot take them down. 
      January 9, 2021 9:25 PM MST

I just check, but as of this posting, Parlor is still up.
      January 9, 2021 9:50 PM MST

I don't know exactly when they are doing it. But there is a post on the site explaining why they will be offline for a time. 
      January 10, 2021 6:31 AM MST

It is down now. But I seen a notice in their site earlier saying they will be back up today sometime.  I believe they purchased their own servers so do not have to rely on other hosts.  I bet Gab.com is busy this morning.
      January 11, 2021 7:52 AM MST

If Answermug is within its rights to ban or suspend members for violating site rules and TOS, then so is Facebook, Twitter, or any other privately owned platform.
      January 10, 2021 6:28 PM MST

True. But they cannot collectively decide to ban a user or client (eliminate competition of another client) that is in violation of anti-trust laws. 
    Also if they are going to act as editors (removing based on the opinions posted) then they should not have liability
    protections that others do not.  (Sec 230 protections) 

No one on answerMug gets a "fact check warning" attached to their posts. Or posts removed because of a politcal opinion.  (Difference between being a Publisher... Sec 230 protections and being an editor...no protections) This post was edited by my2cents at January 11, 2021 7:46 AM MST
      January 10, 2021 6:41 PM MST

It should also be pointed out that these other platforms are NOT applying their standards equally.  Trump is banned for these various platforms for allegedly inciting the riot on Wednesday 6 January.  However, at no time in his speech did he tell his people to storm the Capital.  No, he specifically told them to protest peacefully.  However, Kamala Harris actually encouraged rioters to continue rioting last summer.  Was she banned from any of these platforms?  No, she was not.
    https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2021/01/07/kamala-harris-called-riots-a-movement-last-summer-said-they-should-not-stop-n1310640

I could post many other examples of leftists egging on the Antifa and BLM rioters.  NONE of them have been banned for their support of these violent groups.  Thus, the obvious conclusion is that these platforms are NOT banning so-called conservatives because they support violence (which they don't).  These platforms are censoring speech that does not fit with their political agenda.
      January 11, 2021 7:58 AM MST

You're right. He and Giuliani told them that during the rally Wednesday morning, before they marched to the Capitol. But making excuses and splitting hairs over semantics is fine if that's your thing. And from what I have seen, Answermug doesn't apply its standards equally either.
      January 11, 2021 8:19 AM MST

As always if you see anything against the rules here...hit the report button or send me a message. We can only moderate what we see. 

January 11, 2021 8:32 AM MST