Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Words and music...lyrics and melody...do not change from rendition to rendition. They stay the same. How much does rendition affect you?

Words and music...lyrics and melody...do not change from rendition to rendition. They stay the same. How much does rendition affect you?

Posted - January 17, 2021

Responses

Depends entirely on how it's done. Off key, raucous or slurred rendition turns me right off, particularly if I've heard it done better by somebody else.
      January 17, 2021 4:45 AM MST

Thank you for your reply R. I can't think of any song I liked/loved that I ever heard off key, raucous or slurred. You have? From a PROFESSIONAL group? That would be really tough to have to listen to.

Now I have a confession. I think Bob Dylan has a terrible awful horrible voice. He has tons and tons of sturdy fans. I have no idea why but I guess the ears hear things differently from head to head to head. I like the 1812 overture but my especially favorite rendition is the one done by THE BOSTON POPS! They use a real live cannon! I also much prefer the original person who first records a song!. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :). This post was edited by RosieG at January 17, 2021 11:33 AM MST
      January 17, 2021 5:26 AM MST

Dylan gets away with being a terrible singer (and worse harmonica player) because the words matter. He's Poet Laureate, the only songwriter to have a Nobel Prize for Literature. Jimi Hendrix couldn't have done All Along the Watchtower, or Peter, Paul and  Mary performed Blowin' in the Wind, or the Byrds Mr Tambourine Man, or Manfred Mann Quinn the Eskimo if Bob hadn't written them. Heck, Axl Rose sounded better than Dylan on Knockin' on Heaven's Door, although that one was close - Axl can't sing either. His raucous attempt at Bohemian Rhapsody at the Freddie Mercury tribute was so awful that Elton John and the surviving members of Queen couldn't save it.
      January 18, 2021 1:09 AM MST

I didn't know any of that R Thank you for educating me about it. But the words? Everytime I ever heard him ":sing" the words were always slurred so I never understood what he said. It was just that awful voice moaning along so I got nothing pleasant out of it. I am familiar with and like Blowin in the Wind and Mr. Tambourine Man but not familiar with the others. I vaguely remember hearing "knocking on Heaven's door" but I couldn't tell you what it was about. I'm clearly way ignorant about a lot of that stuff but my goodness if he won a Nobel Prize for LIterature and he is/was POET LAUREATE GOOD GRIEF He must be amazing! What I should do and will is Google him and familiarize myself with the words. Too bad his delivery system sucks. But for me a lot of joy comes from using words so that means a lot to me! Thank you for your informative and helpful reply R! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 18, 2021 2:35 PM MST
      January 18, 2021 2:32 PM MST

I have numerous fav songs with different renditions. Usually the remake is not as good. Oftimes a live version is much better that a recorded one.
      January 17, 2021 11:35 AM MST

Agreed. I was at the Sydney Entertainment Centre when Knopfler did this in his pajamas:

January 18, 2021 3:17 PM MST