Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Scientists from the University of Southampton in England think they know what causes disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle. Do you agree?

Scientists from the University of Southampton in England think they know what causes disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle. Do you agree?

Ever hear of ROGUE WAVES?

Apparently when storms from the north and the south and florida converge/meet a rogue wave 100 feet tall can occur. Ships can be SWAMPED by such high waves and sink.

Okay.

If that's true shouldn't the sunken ships be there at the bottom?

Also 5 planes disappeared when flying over the Bermuda Triangle. I know they fly higher than 100 feet.

Even so is it a possibility? ROGUE WAVES?

Posted - January 22, 2021

Responses

I have heard of rogue waves. There is no single explanation for them, but they do occur and can easily sink a ship.
      January 22, 2021 8:22 AM MST

So that might well be the explanation for the disappearances for seagoing vessels. How do we explain those 5 planes that disappeared? Thank you for your reply E!
      January 22, 2021 9:52 AM MST

Accidents?
      January 22, 2021 12:13 PM MST

How about this? I'm flying blind here. WHAT IF there are things up in the skies that are something like ROGUE WAVES? Electricity or electrical impulses that come in waves? WHAT IF those 5 planes got caught up in them?

Oh wait a minute. Ever hear of the Philadelphia Experiment? I don't know if it is apocryphal. Allegedly a ship filled with sailors disappeared. It returned at a later date and it had vanished into another plane of existence.

I know there is much we don't know. So we can't know if what we think is impossible is really possible if we can plug into it. As I said I'm flying blind but I have a very open mind to any exigency or possibility. There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in our philosophy. Or so said Shakespeare! Thank you for your one-word reply. Apologies for my lengthy one.
    This post was edited by RosieG at January 23, 2021 8:45 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 3:26 AM MST

Aircraft have disappeared in the triangle so I don't think a wave is to blame. Cheers and happy weekend!
      January 22, 2021 9:16 AM MST

Maybe for ships it is and for aircraft it is something else entirely? Could that be? Thank you for your reply Nanoose and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      January 22, 2021 9:40 AM MST

I believe there is a similar phenomena on the other side of the world.

I heard one theory that the Earth passes through a "micro" black hole (MBH), and when ships/planes hit the MBH they naturally "disappear" into it.
      January 22, 2021 11:34 AM MST

Why isn't the air surrounding the MBH getting sucked into it?
      January 22, 2021 12:14 PM MST

That's the least of my questions, when I heard it.
    I wanted to know why the entire planet wasn't sucked into it.

But a magical MBH makes as much sense as most of the other theories out there.

I'm still hoping it's a kraken.
    Yes, that would explain the planes.  They fly too close to get a better look, and it swats them from the sky.  Like King Kong.  lol

January 25, 2021 9:35 AM MST

That's new to me m'dear. Have not heard of it before but why not? We know there is a very lot we don't know. What we don't know is what it is that we do not know. Which means anything is possible. No? Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 23, 2021 5:35 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 5:34 AM MST

Such waves are one of several possible causes of ships disappearing, and by no means confined to the so-called Bermuda Triangle. The wrecks of ships will be more or less below where they left the surface, aircraft might drift or glide some way away; but no-one has tried to search for them if only because the last positions are not known and exploring beyond the Continental Shelf would be an extremely long and costly exercise.

It took a long time to find the ruins of the Titanic, the Hood and the Bismark, and their approximate last positions were known.

There was a very interesting and thought-provoking radio documentary on the "Bermuda Triangle" a while back, by a BBC journalist who investigated the most serious or strangest losses and found all had been explained or could be pieced together from a few pieces of evidence and eye-witness accounts. (Not witnesses to the losses but to some of the causes.)

There is nothing mysterious about that region. It is a very large area of very deep water, beset by very rapidly changeable and often very severe water; but is also very busy for both ships and aircraft.

Most disappearances have been investigated but sadly, too many people prefer to believe in myths than the dry reality hidden in official reports lying in filing-cabinets. So it receives a lot of publicity that hampers proper understanding and does nothing at all for the memories of those who have died out there.  The reality is of occasional, natural disasters; but much more often, human errors and misjudgements including neglect of, or badly-made and unauthorised modifications to, ships and planes.

Also, from one or two pilots who have became lost over the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean but eventually found their way home safely, a curious psychological trait to believe one's own "instinct" rather than perfectly good navigational instruments, so become totally disorientated.
    '

Some of his examples:

One of the most notorious, back in the 1940s I think - the loss of an airliner flying from Britain to Florida. Instead of refuelling in the Azores, for reasons we cannot know the pilots pressed on. The meteorological records showed strong headwinds, and it was easy to calculate the aeroplane would have run out of fuel over the Western Atlantic. It also emerged the owning air-line was not good at maintenance.  No "black box" in its day, no way for the occupants to have survived even if they had escaped the ditched plane; no way to find the wreck even if anyone could have worked out its likely position.

A cargo ship that sailed out of the Gulf and vanished. It was an old collier adapted without proper authority and inspection to carry a denser and corrosive cargo, a fertiliser. The holds were known to be severely corroded, and that she left port with one engine out of action - an unseaworthy rust-bucket heading out too, into rapidly worsening weather.

The owner of a crop-dusting plane trying to deliver it from one of the southern States to a new owner in Brazil. He left American air-traffic control with the routine signing-off radio message, and was never seen again. Careful probing found he was known to have put an unauthorised fuel-tank in the plane's nose, upsetting its trim; and airfield staff recalled it was leaking petrol. No-one thought to stop him taking off, and almost certainly he ran out of fuel well before reaching the far coast.   

'
    Remember the Indonesian airliner lost a few years ago somewhere over the Indian Ocean? No-one has found that. A huge area of deep water, no-one knowing the plane's final direction but that may have been so far off-course that its acoustic distress-beacon* could not be heard from likely locations until the beacon's battery became exhausted. Weeks of slow, patient "lawn-mowing" of the sea-bed with side-scan sonar, but nothing found other than a few scraps that had floated ashore; and a sunken ship identified as one lost in the 19C. And this is a modern loss; for reasons we can never know but are suspected as deliberate. 

'

Ships and aircraft are man-made things used in unforgiving natural conditions. Humanly-made things can and do break despite the best will and care in the world; and even more so if not used or maintained properly, especially in hostile conditions. The only thing "strange" about the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, was the behaviour of some who have ventured onto or over them; and paid with their and others' lives.   

====

*Radio-waves do not travel through water, but sound does, and very well. So this distress-beacon emits sound: distinctive squeaks that can be detected by sensitive hydrophones at considerable distances away, to guide the search teams.
    X
      January 22, 2021 3:30 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful in-depth and informative reply Durdle. If we ever can know exactly what we don't know it will be helpful. Until then anything is possible.
      January 23, 2021 5:39 AM MST

Thank you!

Your comment reminds me of the Senator who uttered that rather convoluted sentence about unknown unknowns! If you read his words carefully, they made a lot of sense. He was right of course.

I suppose the simplest way is to ask a rhetorical question about the problem: What if?, How?, etc. If we then find no-one can answer it then we have the limit of knowledge in that direction.

That's the "known unknowns" determined,  but there is a further limit. We are not soothsayers so cannot predict what new problems or puzzles we may encounter in future.  

The difficulty we are faced with in investigating marine or air accidents that occurred far out from land and had no witnesses, is that we cannot know exactly what went wrong. We can though, sometimes piece together enough circumstantial evidence to determine the most likely causes.

The "Rogue Waves" theory is an interesting one, and quite feasible for ship losses; but by no means confined to just that part of the Altantic Ocean. It's been postulated for many unexpected losses.

The sea can be very destructive. I have seen a photograph taken from an aircraft of a large freighter wallowing in very heavy seas, having lost its entire bow back to the bulkhead at the start of the hull's parallel length. That is a few hundred tons of steel simply sheared right off by the tremendous stresses imposed on the ship by the waves. I don't know the outcome in that case - I guess the aircraft was a rescue helicopter evacuating the crew before the ship foundered.

Maybe one of the best-known, oddest and also saddest losses by its reflection on human fallibility, was that of the several USAAF trainer-aircraft that seemed to have just kept heading East out into the night and Eternity. It's thought from other flyers' experiences, that the instructor piloting the lead aircraft became disorientated, for some reason, and convinced himself they were all flying back to base. The pupils of course, following him, probably didn't have the nerve to question their superior officer even if they knew they were going the wrong way. 

January 23, 2021 4:08 PM MST

I am not sure of this at all but could it be that each of us has the key to unlocking far more knowledge and we simply haven't looked for it in the right places? Existence could be so much more than we thin it is based on our scientific knowledge AT THE MOMENT. There may be a way to tap into it or access it that the ancients may have known. Think about this. What if the library at Alexandria had not burned down taking with it all that was written up to then? What others places of knowledge existed once upon a time that we lost track of or wrote off without investigating it? I like things that make sense. That is why I am a great fan of LOGIC. On the other hand I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES which are not at all logical. So I am open to expanding my horizons in any direction that is open to me if I'm up to it. I once wondered what would happen to me if I could talk to the dead. Some say they can but what if it were possible? Would it scare me to death or would I find it helpful. I don't know so I just go forward every day following whatever suits my fancy and I put no restrictions on myself in my wonderings and meanderings. Do you do that too? Thank you for your reply Durdle. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. Can we handle it?
      January 24, 2021 6:37 AM MST

Whatever the truth of things we don't fully understand, I would hope we can handle it! 

The basis of science and learning is to use of logic, but I am not convinced any of the ancients had learnt anything we've not.

Writings and relics that do survive from Classical times suggest that though they were right about many things and even laid foundations we build on now, they could also be very wide of the mark. They did not have the benefit of the accumulated knowledge we enjoy. Nor did they have the research tools we have. 
      January 24, 2021 4:36 PM MST

Do you believe ATLANTIS existed once upon a time Durdle or is it just a myth of the ideal place? It is tantalizing to believe that somewhere in time such a place and people existed.

We can never KNOW for sure how much handed down to us is what really happend or is it just a mythology? Once upon a time someone named Solon wrote of Atlantis. A few hundred years later(?) Plato or someone wrote about it. Giving the exact location. Two theories of its disappearance. One. The GODS got very angry because those who lived there became cocky and full of themselves and thought they were as good as the GODS so the GODS destroyed them. Second theory. A huge earthquake occurred causing an enormous TSUNAMI and the entire island sunk. The former is kinda hard to swallow. The latter? I don't know what happened naturewise so long ago but I think it is probably possible. But maybe the original story was meant to be a parable. Don't think too much of yourself or you will destroy yourself? I don't know. Thank you for your reply Durdle. I expect there are truths I couldn't handle. Did you ever see the movie MATRIX? That wouyld be one of them.
      January 25, 2021 1:42 AM MST