Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » When you were young, did many people coax you to try smoking cigarettes?

When you were young, did many people coax you to try smoking cigarettes?

Posted - January 22, 2021

Responses

It was implied I guess. 95% of my family are smokers and I was around it so much that I hated it and still do to this day. You would think that all of that smoking I was around would turn me into a smoker. NOPE!!!
      January 22, 2021 4:46 PM MST

That's good!
      January 22, 2021 4:55 PM MST

I agree because I read 100% the same condign of life growing up and through the years, after incidental damage was done, my father spout when he sees others do it, "People still smoke?", ludicrously mocking those that still do. It got emotional in my family. Even then, the damage wasn't done, because a month  the before he died for bad circulation and an amputated leg, he too got diagnose with lung cancer which laid down the final straw for his will to live. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 23, 2021 9:27 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 4:37 AM MST

I know a similar family. The kid I liked from them, while sitting by a pool and talking with, I said cigarettes aren't anything to do, like that, and he said you got that right. My Civics Teacher walk in the courtyard and told a smoker right out" You know that's not good for you" and this was after the fact that he said to the whole class, "Nobody has any business smoking". I remember 1977. At the same year another teacher told the class, 
    "don't be weak and cop out on cigarettes instead of class"..
    Since people don't know about other alternatives to relax and have a rough life, like some mothers and stress, I forgive it because of it as long as they don't blow it in my face. I just deal with it oddly. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 23, 2021 9:27 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 8:27 AM MST

No. Back in the day, it was a rite of passage to begin smoking.  Both y parents smoked as did the parents of most of my friends.  I just had to wait until I was 16 to be able to smoke in front of my parents although I had been smoking for at least two years before that.
      January 22, 2021 4:53 PM MST

You quit smoking or do you still smoke now? I started at age 14 and I just cannot quit. 61 years of smoking next month.
      January 22, 2021 5:00 PM MST

I quit as a 40th birthday present to myself.  Five others and I at work decided to go to a one-time hypnosis session to quit.  I smoked my last cigarette before I went in and haven't smoked since.  It wasn't easy, but none of us wanted to be the first one to regress which helped a lot.  It also helped that I had a very understanding boyfriend at the time who took a lot of crap from me without complaining until I got over the worst of it.  

What really pushed me to succeed was that I wanted to quit.  I couldn't stand the smell of smoke in the house in the winter when I walked in with all the windows closed.  I realized that the only two times I didn't have a cigarette in my hand was when I showered or was making love.  I had ashtrays in every room in the house and the ceiling above the one I had on the bathroom sink had a nicotine circle on the ceiling.  Now, I can't stand the smell of it and I can smell a smoker a mile away. :)
      January 22, 2021 9:52 PM MST

Interesting story, thanks.
      January 23, 2021 1:15 AM MST

• No, but I am a bit younger than many here. My generation had it drilled into our heads that smoking was bad and you should never ever do it. I only started seeing people I knew smoke cigarettes in college, and they had smoked weed first. 
      January 22, 2021 6:42 PM MST

No (not even the funny ones).  There was no temptation there for me.

You see, my grandmother and step-grandfather smoked (and drank).  The outside of the house(s) was littered with beer cans and pull tabs, but the inside...  Her house was always smoke-filled (usually thick).  I used to hold my breath, but after a minute or so I had to go outside.  Mostly empty glasses of beer(?) with cigarettes butts floating in them were a common sight.  Filthy ashtrays and they were filled with crushed cigarette packages, cigarette butts (some still smoldering), ashes and small wads of chewed gum were everywhere.  The sofa and every chair had numerous small burned spots on their arms and seat.  Yeah, a real "sell" for smoking.
      January 22, 2021 6:43 PM MST

No, not “many”, as far as I can remember, just one person gave it a try. He was a classmate of mine who secretly smoked. He was marginally successful in convincing me to try them, but it was extremely short-lived. I smoked them for a few days, but I was so deathly afraid of getting caught by my mother that I bailed out and never touched them again. I didn’t like anything about the habit anyway, so stopping was easy. We were about twelve years old at the time. 

~

January 22, 2021 9:40 PM MST

You smoked! 
      January 23, 2021 11:56 AM MST

Grrrrrrrr. I was 12 years old for cryin’ out loud, and I succumbed to peer pressure, BUT IT WAS ONLY FOR A WEEK!  Heck, not even a whole week, I think it might have been three or four days tops! I was young and impressionable, and he was my best friend! I couldn’t help myself, I tell you, I tried to resist, he was after me all the time to join him in his habit! Sure, I finally fell for it, I know it was wrong, but I came to my senses right away and never repeated!  You can’t indict me for momentary pre-teen weakness!  Look, I’ve turned myself around completely; I steer clear of tobacco, and my only vice since then has been women . . . oops. I‘ll stop right there. 

January 24, 2021 8:40 AM MST

I can empathize. Still, this warrants a note in the file. I'm sure you understand. 
      January 24, 2021 9:17 AM MST

Hey, wait!  That’s from my juvenile record, and it’s my ONLY infraction! It was a first offense and I cleaned up my act since then. Putting it in my permanent record is really out of order, at least not without a proper hearing.

Hold on, I’m going about this the wrong way. Why don’t we meet in a neutral city for dinner where we can discuss it, and retreat to my hotel room to hash out the minor details? Im willing to let you acquaint me with the depths of your position, I’m sure that once I’ve laid mine out for you to see, you’ll be convinced to get on board with me, yes, you’ll come over to my side, we’re bound to reach a mutually satisfying point. If not, we can sleep on it and see what comes up the next morning. 

~

January 24, 2021 5:56 PM MST

Parents and grandfathers were non-smokers. Both of my step-grandmothers smoked.

I never had to endure peer pressure about it, but media rammed it down everybody's neck in the form of advertising, especially sports sponsorship - surprise, surprise, when I started smoking it was the same brand that had been the exclusive sponsor of Australian cricket for decades. It's illegal now, but by the time the law changed I was hooked.

I quit about a decade ago for financial reasons - it's an expensive habit down here and taxes on tobacco have risen exponentially. A pack of 40 costs almost as much as a carton of beer, more than a bottle of good wine or mid-range whisky. A carton of beer lasts me a fortnight or more, a pack of cigarettes a day or two. I switched to a pipe to slow down (it takes time to enjoy a pipe), then quit altogether.
      January 22, 2021 11:45 PM MST

Smokes here are around $15.00 for a pack of 20. Black market cigarettes are plentiful here as well at $5.00/ pack of 20.but the quality ain't so good.
      January 23, 2021 2:03 AM MST

I weaned myself off of cigarettes with cloves and cigars and big gulps of cough syrup to scare me away from drinking. The percs and morphine pills don't help after either. Only weed helps with my anxie-itty and makes me feel less hurty. Hey..ahhh ..They just legalized pain fighting psychedelics in Somerville Massachusetts like it should be here. I thought booze was all progressive at first. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 23, 2021 9:02 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 6:50 AM MST

Simple fact is, when I was 10 In 70', I had my first cigarette. I was not alone though because, my two other friends and I went drinking and smoking at 11 at our freshly spray painted walls at my parents house cellar room hippy pad and so, it was mutual agreement and not really pressure. The dumb kid to show off stuck a fully unlit cigarette in his mouth and chew it to show how brazen foolish he could be. We were early idiots and those two other close friend's smoke heavily, and I mean heavily, from 12 to 20. l moved after that. Picture us kids getting colored spray paint and going ape on the cellar room wall. I still don't know if he swallowed that cigarette. Very likely so.
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 23, 2021 3:16 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 3:07 AM MST

Sounds beautiful!
      January 23, 2021 3:17 AM MST

Psychologically though, I think I suffered some price. I can't quit trying to get sedated likely for life. I'm 61 and still looking for some kind of barbiturates or very fine tasty weed. Can't get the drugs out of the boy:) This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 23, 2021 3:33 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 3:22 AM MST

You could try kratom, have you heard of it? It is a mild opioid that is sold legally in stores and internet. That has been.my  sedative and pain relief for about the last five years.
      January 23, 2021 3:32 AM MST

It runs in my family kittigate,. An older brother told me about salvia divorum, and DMT, and kratom and venture on spiritual trips he got all excited about. I tried salvia in a cabin area of a boat first and before all else, the divination of signs came into play and his assuming my sign was the water because, when I took the two hits, I became level with the water outside the boat. I tried DMT on a couch and saw a figure fleet past and bright rainbow lights and computer beeps and had this sensation of women arguing over my grave. I can't happily complete that trip either. I think weed is strong enough for me. Maybe I'm not strong enough to handle the astral projectors protectors I am designated to meet. Letting your earthly ego die is the hardest thing to do. He can. But I got lambasted with being told maybe my earthly spirit is too hard.
    He buys his psychedelics on the web too. He ad lib once that maybe the salvia female spirit he meets from far beyond would never ever forgive him for some reason. "Salvia would never forgive me!" Or something similar. He also couldn't find the "Packy Wacky" product he told me would prolong the DMT trip.Serious. 

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 23, 2021 5:52 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 4:53 AM MST

ThAAank Youuu!:) This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 23, 2021 8:58 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 6:46 AM MST