Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Did Boris Johnson actually say the new U.K. virus variant is 30% more DEADLY? If so does that mean the mutations are doubling down?

Did Boris Johnson actually say the new U.K. virus variant is 30% more DEADLY? If so does that mean the mutations are doubling down?

Posted - January 23, 2021

Responses

Yes, I think the covid'19 bug might be in a competition with the last major pandemic which killed about 50 million people.
      January 23, 2021 10:42 AM MST

Oh lordy Kg. Sigh. Well has any virus ever had so many mutatations and variants so quickly? I wonder what's going on to cause that? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 19, 2021 7:08 AM MDT

The new mutation is extremely contagious which means it could easily be worse than the original.
      January 23, 2021 11:27 AM MST

So we are either approaching the PERFECT STORM or we're there. Thank you for your reply L. Good thing we can stay at home.  I wonder will the day come when we DARE NOT LEAVE AT ALL? :(
      January 23, 2021 12:24 PM MST

It does appear that the current vaccines are effective against the new strain, but with the ease of transmission, I suspect the hospitals will be overwhelmed.
      January 23, 2021 9:55 PM MST

We already are here on the west coast L. We awaken each day to the unknown. So far so good for us. But we have it so easy! Retired. Kids grown and doing well. Needs being met without any worries. Lucky us. For others things have never been so bad and they are getting worse. What can we do to help? Try our best to not be a burden on the collapsing medical system. Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 24, 2021 3:36 AM MST

I keep hearing all the terrible difficulties southern CA is having with the virus.  Dr. Fauci was on Face the Nation this morning.  Said the UK strain appears to be more deadly and hitting a younger group of people.  Best solution is to get as many people as possible vaccinated as soon as possible as the vaccines out now seem to work on the new strains strains.  
      January 24, 2021 10:10 AM MST

In California we are in dark times now but the worst is still ahead. Every day is a crapshoot. SIGH. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 25, 2021 3:43 AM MST

I keep a good thought every day for California.
      January 25, 2021 1:34 PM MST

I should have paid more attention to the News but it's been so dominated recently by just two matters I've not been concentrating.

So I am not sure if he stated, or more accurately repeated, that it is, or that it is thought to be. Whichever though, it is a grim prospect.

What I do know is being pointed out, is that the various vaccine now becoming available will protect most people from falling ill, but we don't yet if they will also reduce infecting others.  
      January 23, 2021 4:14 PM MST

So far here LACK OF AVAILABILITY of the vaccines is hurting us. THOUSANDS of appointments for shots were made and cancelled. No vaccines no shots no use. I believe whatever could go wrong did go wrong. Each day are we making any progress or falling farther/further behind? I dunno. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Sunday! :)
      January 24, 2021 3:39 AM MST

They've also found a number of people carrying the strains "credited" to Brazil and South Africa, in quarantined travellers who arrived in the UK from there.

Although the variations are described as from countries where they are first found, I fear no-one can really knows if they do originate there or have come in from.... wherever.

Progress? Well, it's very hard to see or believe there is. 
      January 24, 2021 4:30 PM MST

My understanding is that the one(s) in South Africa are VERY WORRISOME. We live day by day for how long I don't know. It's always darkest before the dawn but it seems we are living in Alaska times 10. Fingers crossed we survive. Many of us won't of course. It is inevitable. Thank you for your reply Durdle.
      January 25, 2021 3:45 AM MST