Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » No one WANTS to encounter the BAD PENNIES. How do you tell them on sight? Do you have to try to spend one and have it BOUNCE?

No one WANTS to encounter the BAD PENNIES. How do you tell them on sight? Do you have to try to spend one and have it BOUNCE?

How do you protect yourself from collecting bad pennies? Or worse BEING ONE?

Posted - January 25, 2021

Responses

Good penny.

Bad penny.
      January 25, 2021 1:54 PM MST

Those are PENNIES? In what language for what country when? The only pennies I've ever seen are the Lincoln pennies. So what are these exactly? Something VERY RARE and VALUABLE? The top one is very pretty I think. The bottom one looks as if it had been MANGLED. Thank you for your reply and the graphics E. Sorry I don't really recognize them. Should I be able to? )
      January 26, 2021 1:37 AM MST

Those are pre-Lìncoln. There were also British and Australian pennies.

January 26, 2021 1:56 AM MST

Wow! The first one is BEAUTIFUL and the kangaroo is adorable. Are they currently in circulation in Australia R? If that question is stupid apologies! Thank you for your reply and the graphics! :)
      January 26, 2021 1:59 AM MST

The Australian penny was replaced by the 1c coin in 1966, when our currency went decimal, and that was subsequently removed from circulation in 1990 when the value of the metal in the coin went higher than its face value - it was no longer viable to mint coins that were worth more as bullion than as money.
    The British penny was revalued in 1971 for the same reason, and a New Penny is worth twice the old one. And much smaller. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 26, 2021 2:43 AM MST
      January 26, 2021 2:22 AM MST

Thank you for your informative reply R. Do all coins have similar histories or is it only the lowly penny? What is tuppence? Two cents? We've heard for years that the penny will disappear. So far hasn't happened. Think it will?
      January 26, 2021 2:46 AM MST