Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Language » OK, this is for the literate ones among us - and ONLY the literate ones, well, literates and trans-sexuals

OK, this is for the literate ones among us - and ONLY the literate ones, well, literates and trans-sexuals

AND if you are mouldering in prison for some detestibble criem - I won't be labelled discriminatory, I AM discriminatory, I just don't want to be labelled.
I am gathering words that mean one thing, but aught to mean something else, or could mean something else. Any ideas?

Posted - January 25, 2021

Responses

And I am gathering 3009 tasteful girly shots for discerning gentlemen, and a list of politicians who were prematurely cremated.
    But one word that comes to mind is transfiguration - transporting a truckload of figs across the state line.

In fact they are black figs - but the last thing I need is a clique of lefties and disgruntled white football players jumping up and down complaining about black privilege. You think that hasn't happened - check my trip log.
    XX
      January 25, 2021 7:21 AM MST

I'm as confused as a blind lesbian in a fish market. I've only had two beers and I can't understand either of you. Must be second hand from my wife's weed.
      January 25, 2021 1:15 PM MST

*ought* Aught means zero.

American - labeled

UK - labelled
      January 25, 2021 3:22 PM MST

HA HA, YOU MISSED CRIEM - SHOULD BE CRIME. Check it out, you'll see I'm write. 
      January 26, 2021 10:11 AM MST

I only read questions; I skip the rest. 
      January 26, 2021 1:12 PM MST

A word that comes to mind is INFLAMMABLE, which, so supposed the literary elite, the great mass of ill-educated villeinage was likely to misinterpret as non-flammable. Hence the now widespread, if not universal, ‘flammable’ in warnings. I remember when this freshly-coined word started appearing on notices. The once common ‘inflammable’ is rarely seen anymore. If ignorance avoidance were deemed more practical than education, I might have chosen either ‘combustible’, or ‘highly combustible’ as most appropriate for the circumstance, but my meagre credentials in this regard did not permit my participation in the discussion.   

January 26, 2021 12:14 PM MST