Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever get something you wished for and found it was nothing at all like what you thought it would be? What didja do about it?

Ever get something you wished for and found it was nothing at all like what you thought it would be? What didja do about it?

Posted - January 26, 2021

Responses

Yes.  For a long time, I coveted a Coach pocketbook, but it was too expensive.  I finally found it on sale for $125 at their outlet store and bought it, but when I tried to use it, I found the the leather was so thick that when I put all my things in it, I found it was too heavy to comfortably carry on my shoulder.  I put it away thinking I just lost $125, but several months later, I was in the Coach store and told the clerk what happened.  She told me to bring it in and she would give me a store credit for the last sale price of the item - $125!
      January 26, 2021 8:50 AM MST

Which shows that speaking up can be very productive! There was a COACH outlet at the mall about 25 miles away from us. I'd go in and look but I guess I'm not that much into pocketbooks. Later where we live now our next-door neighbor passed away. Her son hired a liquidator to go through everything, price it and sell it. I have two STONE MOUNTAIN leather purses...formerly owned by her (Mary). Cost me $2 each and they looked as if they had never been used. I will never need other bags. One is white and the other cream-colored. They carry the metal STONE MOUNTAIN zippers. Subsequently my dear departed sister-in-law Jo sent me a beautiful tapestry shoulderbag which is what I use all the time every day. So I'm set! I'm sure Stone Mountain isn't the same as COACH but it sure pleases me bigly. Thank you for your reply L. I'm also not a shoe person to excess as women seem to be thought to be. I don't go squirrly for manolo blankos or whatevers that were featured on Sex and the City. Not my cuppa tea! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 30, 2021 7:42 AM MST
      January 30, 2021 3:22 AM MST

Stone Mountain is a very good product.  I stopped using leather bags when I was having trouble with my shoulder.  They're too heavy so I use a LeSport bag, which is fabric.  Lasts forever and it has a zipper pocket on the outside of each side - handy for keeping some things within easy reach and not having to fig through the main compartment.  I'm not a shoe gal either.  In fact, I don't amass any particular items of clothing or accessories.
      January 30, 2021 7:46 AM MST

After I posted that I GOOGLED Stone Mountain. Never did before. Their prices are mostly comparable to Coach although Coach also advertised a $500 bag. My one wondrous name brand thing? The MOVADO museum watch. The design is so beautiful in its simplicity. I bought at the outlet in Cabazon several decades ago. The retail price then was $1000 and I bought it for $500. It is gorgeous. I have never once regretted buying it. It's feast for the eyes. Even when I "see" it in my mind's eye. A thing of beauty is a joy forever and if eyes were made for seeing beauty is its own excuse for being!  Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 30, 2021 7:52 AM MST

Is that the watch with the diamond at the 12 and no umbers?  Yes, it is beautiful.  That was  a great price.  
      January 30, 2021 8:43 AM MST

Yes. Precisely. All black. Breathtaking! That was decades ago. I love sleek and simple. I'm not a fan of flashy. I like understated low-
    key classy! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 24, 2021 1:43 AM MST

That is a very classy watch. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at February 25, 2021 8:56 AM MST
      February 24, 2021 3:27 PM MST

No geegaws or gilding the lily. Simple. Useful. Uncomplicated! Thank you for your reply sweetie! :)
      February 25, 2021 3:52 AM MST

Why do I always find the typos after I hit reply?  

I don't like a lot of junk on my watches either and I don't like big ones.  
      February 25, 2021 8:57 AM MST

That's my problem too. I proof everything and hit send and then when I go back to answer a reply I make corrections I didn't catch. At first I was embarrassed but now since it happens all the time I'm over the embarrassment! Thank you for your reply L. Understated is always far more elegant. Garish? Not for me or thee! Some feel the bigger the stones the better. I think balance in all things is good. :)
      February 26, 2021 8:22 AM MST

Agreed on all counts. :)
      February 26, 2021 8:33 AM MST

((hugs)) You're a nifty girlfriend girlfriend! :) Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 27, 2021 2:12 AM MST

You're making me blush,  Thank you. :)
      February 27, 2021 6:21 AM MST

Well you are. You're welcome but I think the ones we need to thank are your parents. Good genes and all you know. You can't take credit for them but you can take credit for how you use them. What's that song that was popular way long ago? "It's what you do with what ya got and never mind how much ya got it's what you do with that ya got that pays off in the end!" Very true for everyone methinks. Some have more than others but do less with it. AHA! Another question coming! :)
      February 27, 2021 7:05 AM MST

Yes, I am definitely the product of my parents, thank heaven.
      February 27, 2021 7:43 AM MST

Ditto! :)
      February 27, 2021 8:29 AM MST

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

The more we desire something, the more we build up in our mind animage what that thing will be like.  We sculpt it until it's "perfect".  We polish it until it  shines brighter than the sun.   We even tell ourselves how much grander our life will be once we get it.  Then when the moment comes to finally hold the glorious thing in our hands..... it's flawed and dull.  What happened?  That's not how its supposed to be.  Now what?

Being married, having a child, winning the lottery, buying a new car... there are many things people desire, but when they get them, they are disappointed.  Marriage was supposed to be daily sex and happiness....why wont this person see things my way? Having a child was supposed to fix everything ... why won't it shut up???  Winning the lottery was supposed to solve all my problems... but it just created more!    This isn't how I imagined it.  What happened?   So we begin to wish for something else.... something that'll make everything better ... 
      January 26, 2021 11:34 AM MST

That is ABSOLUTELY true Shuhak. Know why? BECAUSE WANTING NEVER DISAPPOINTS. ACQUIRING/HAVING OFTEN DOES. That's why so many people have affairs with married people. They can't have and they always want. Because I'm sure cheaters knkow that if he/she will CHEAT WITH YOU he/she will CHEAT ON YOU. It's simple really. And so stupid. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. How ya doin' weatherwise? :)
      January 30, 2021 7:55 AM MST

No problems here.  We're between storms right now.  All the snow is gone and the sun is trying to come out.  
      January 30, 2021 10:29 AM MST

We dodged a bullet. Not nearly as bad as feared. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      January 30, 2021 10:31 AM MST