Active Now

Thebigd
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does DEMAND create SUPPLY or the other way around? Why?

Does DEMAND create SUPPLY or the other way around? Why?

Posted - January 27, 2021

Responses

It works together.  And generally changes the price charged. 

More demand can make supply increase. Sellers will want to sell more. 
    Other times lack of demand leads to over supply.
      January 27, 2021 7:23 AM MST

In theory, demand would create supply - simply because if enough people want something (and are willing to pay for it), somebody will create it.

In practice, there are many things people want but there is not enough supply of.

This leads to the theory of a "post scarcity" society - where there are enough supplies of raw materials to satisfy all demand, at low cost.
    Generally this society exists only at two levels of society.
    1 - a pre-industrial, nomadic society.
    2 - a society that has developed affordable and fast space travel to other solar systems/galaxies.
      January 27, 2021 7:35 AM MST

I'm pretty sure by now you know what caught my eye was the second one listed. "...fast space travel to other solar systems/galaxies."  A shortcut through a wormhole? In STAR TREK you could WARP SPEED a bazillion miles in an instant. I wonder if that kind of travel is possible? You know about quantum entanglement. HOW DOES THAT WORK? Well there well may be wormholes connecting vast distances to far away different things. Maybe even a freeway system that takes you anywhere you wish to go including back in time or forward. We don't know what we don't know. If we did we'd know but we don't. What awaits us futurely? Beats me! Thank you for your "all things are possible" reply Walt and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine!: This post was edited by RosieG at January 28, 2021 2:08 AM MST
      January 27, 2021 9:03 AM MST

There were some episodes of StarTrek, that showed the Federation had a time travel branch - with their own ships, which were capable of altering the time line.  Of course, that never turned out well.  lol

There was a video game I used to play, Red Alert 3 (I believe) where the prior games were based around US vs USSR war ... and the losing USSR invented time travel to kill Einstein, so they could win the war.  The unexpected consequence was that while the US and USSR were fighting, the Empire of Japan built their forces and attacked when both the US and USSR were weakened. 

Plenty of time travel stories where the moral is - beware of unintended consequences.  lol

January 27, 2021 11:18 AM MST

There was a STAR TREK episode where the principals went back in time to save the life of someone that was very dear to them. They did and then everything exploded and then everything became awful terrible horrible. The headlines of the world newspapers reflected calamity everywhere. So they reluctantly undid the life save and let her die and order was restored. It was a memorable episode. We think "if only this or that had or hadn't happened we'd be better off." Not true. We don't know and maybe what happens is what is supposed to happen? I haven't figured that out yet. Still in the research phase. Thank you for your reply Walt! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 28, 2021 2:12 AM MST
      January 28, 2021 2:11 AM MST