Active Now

Shuhak
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A "complete stranger" comes up to you, addresses you by name and starts chatting. Ever happen to you?

A "complete stranger" comes up to you, addresses you by name and starts chatting. Ever happen to you?

It's happened more than once to me and I didn't have the nerve to ask "WHO ARE YOU?" Too embarrassed I guess. There was one woman in my past who regularly saw me at the market and did that. I asked Jim "who is she?" and he didn't have a clue either.

Someone "knows" you but you don't him/her?

What causes that?

Posted - January 28, 2021

Responses

I don't believe that's ever happened to me.  Even if I can't recall a name (which I'm terrible at doing), I can almost always remember a face.
      January 28, 2021 9:08 AM MST

Well she lived where we used to live so we'd see her at the market weekly. I will never know how she knew me because neither Jim nor I knew her! Or recollected her! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 28, 2021 11:52 AM MST

Maybe she didn't really know you. :)
      January 28, 2021 12:33 PM MST

She knew my name. Funny but I remember in high school when I was a Senior a group of girls came up to me and started chatting as if they knew me. I don't know what grade they were in. I didn't know any of them but they knew me. How or why I could never figure out. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 29, 2021 2:03 AM MST

Sometimes, our reputations precede us. :):):)
      January 29, 2021 9:10 AM MST

I took Drama and was in a couple of plays so maybe that's why. It didn't occur to me before but that must be it. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 30, 2021 3:09 AM MST

There you go.  Sometimes it's because others talk you up so by the time you meet these folks, they feel as though they know you.
      January 30, 2021 7:48 AM MST

I just think it's so weird that never occurred to me L. Not once. Not ever. But now after all these many decades it seems so obvious. I mean they'd hand out printed sheets about the name of the play and the names of the students who played which parts and the names of everyone affiliated with putting the play on. I wonder WHY that is? That it didn't occur to me? No clue. Thank you for your reply sweetie! Too late old too late schmart? I'm still waiting for the schmart part to get around to me! :( This post was edited by RosieG at January 30, 2021 8:13 AM MST
      January 30, 2021 8:01 AM MST

Occasionally, we see things only from one perspective until someone shows us another one.  Perhaps that comes from the different experiences we each have in life. :)
      January 30, 2021 8:14 AM MST

I dunno. I was living it then. Now I can only recollect. I was 15-16. I'm 83. ONLY NOW I figger it out? C'mon m'dear. That makes completely no sense but I do so appreciate your trying to find a cover for me. I do. Jim does that all the time. Makes excuses for why I did/said something really stupid. That's what friends are for I guess, right?
      January 30, 2021 8:20 AM MST

It wasn't a stupid remark.  It's what you recall.  I'm sure that at 75, there are things I don't see as clearly as someone growing up in the past 30-40 years because my life experiences were different.  When I was a kid, one rode a bike with a helmet or knee pads.  We drank water from the garden hose and did a whole lot of things that people today would think amount to our parents abusing us. :)  We learned that if you did stupid things, you got hurt and you didn't do them again.  We weren't bubble wrapped.
      January 30, 2021 8:38 AM MST

Geez L when we rode bikes no one wore helmets or knee pads. I don't remember ever drinking from a water hose but know what my sis and I did in the summer? Wear our bathing suits outside and spray each other with the hose. I remember it so clearly. Of course I am 7 years older so I was better at it. Then when we tired of it we'd just lay down on towels on the driveway in front of the house and dry off. We weren't the only kids who did that! That is so long ago but I see us in my mind's eye! We were in heaven. Thank you for your reply. I expect kids living in New York City had no way to do that but in the suburbs? :)
      February 24, 2021 2:07 AM MST

No, my generation wasn't wrapped in bubble wrap either.  You scraped your knees and elbows playing, you washed them off, stuck a bandaid on and went back to what you were playing.  Maybe that's how we would up developing common sense - the hard way. :)
      February 24, 2021 3:27 PM MST

T'is a pity kids these days don't have the same kinds of kidhoods we did. No chance to build muscle or grit or strength. Get what you want by pushing a button or speaking a command to an electronic thingy that answers back. Weird world this one. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 25, 2021 4:06 AM MST

I agree.  Not all technology is beneficial.
      February 25, 2021 8:55 AM MST

It is to the manufacturers. I guess they're the ones who profit no matter what. Build bigger and better so folks will clamor to be first to use it. I never thought being first to use a new something was very good. Wait awhile till all the bugs get fixed to minimize glitches. So we wait awhile and that is bad because? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 26, 2021 8:24 AM MST

By the time we wait a while to make sure the bugs are fixed, the manufacturers are onto the next model. :)
      February 26, 2021 8:32 AM MST

True. Which makes the purchase a lot less expensive. I don't understand more than I understand about computering. I have very limited knowledge based on what I needed to know at work years ago. I'm still operating on that basis and the rest of the world has zoomed by and I know I'm very far behind. I get behinder every day. There is no way I can catch up L. So when I get stuck I reach out to folks who know more who can help me navigate. I used to not want to be a burden to anyone but now I have no problem asking for help.  I think everyone is probably more computer savvy than I am. Doesn't bother me a bit! I have a desk top and am happy with it. I tried my son's years ago. Very flat laptop. I did not like it! SIGH. I guess I will never be "new and improved"! So be it. Thank you for your reply! :) I wonder how many others out there are like me? This post was edited by RosieG at February 27, 2021 6:16 AM MST
      February 27, 2021 2:18 AM MST

I understand because I'm technologically challenged, too.  I have a laptop which didn't take me too long to get used to, but I do prefer a desktop with a regular keyboard, but have no room for such a setup.  My cell phone is ancient and is probably dying and I absolutely dread having to get a new one and learning how to use it.  I barely learned how to use what  have.  I have a new GPS which I can't figure out how to put in addresses and save them.  Even my sister in PA, who is very savvy, had difficulty getting a couple of addresses saved.  Honesty, if the item is too difficult to figure out, it's pretty much useless to me.
      February 27, 2021 6:20 AM MST

That surprises me L but you have no idea how COMFORTING it is to hear that from you. It makes me feel a bit better about myself. I know the stereotype is how little kids can think rings around their parents with regard to computers. But there are lots and lots and lots of adults there are always on top of everything immediately and figure it out because maybe they are driven to it? I admit my shortcomings of which I have quite a lot. No problemo. I think some folks really have difficulty doing that because they seem to think it makes them "less than". I mean everyone is "less than" everyone about something. Why that's a problem I can't fathom. You guessed it! Another question! Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 27, 2021 7:12 AM MST

For the past five years, my boss has been dying to buy me an Apple iPhone.  For my 70th birthday, he took me to the big Apple Store on Fifth Avenue.  The place was mobbed and when a sales person came up to us, he told them what "we" were looking for.  I wasn't looking for anything, but he's sure I need a phone with all the bells and whistles.  Well, after 10 minutes, I was like a deer I the headlights and couldn't breathe. I had to leave.  I have never gone back to any store for a smart phone.  I was on the phone with him yesterday and mentioned that my cell phone might be going which encouraged him to remind me that his offer still stands.  He told me to go to a store and buy a new smart phone and he would reimburse me for whatever I bought.  My current phone will absolutely have to stop working completely before I do that!
      February 27, 2021 7:41 AM MST

Oh my gosh L you have claustrophobia in crowded places too? Boy not being able to breathe is a sure sign of it. I can't tell you how many times I've had to get out of a place that became crowded and I started hyperventilating which is an awful feeling. In Denver once in a candy shop of all places! At a tour of homes in Riverside once when the home got jampacked! In a museum once but it wasn't crowded at all...I just weirdly felt the presence of all the people whose clothes were hung on walls...It was the Southwest Museum and had a lot of things from the resident Indians. I fled. Anyway that's a very kind thing for your boss to do...giving you something he thinks would improve your life! Do they no longer make just phones? Are they extinct?
      February 27, 2021 8:36 AM MST

Only in crowded elevators or subway cars.  What made me feel that way was being overwhelmed by how many different items there were to look at and how the sales person kept showing me one thing after another before I had a chance to look at the prior item.  
      February 27, 2021 9:30 AM MST

I've never been in a subway L. Being jammed together with strangers underground? It would not be my cuppa tea. Is subway travel less expensive and faster than buses? Just thinking about it gives me the willies. Of course if I were born there it would be normal and natural for me I suppose. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      February 28, 2021 3:51 AM MST