Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » CA bans 1400 handguns. Still believe they just want your AR?

CA bans 1400 handguns. Still believe they just want your AR?

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/de-certified-handguns

Posted - February 6, 2021

Responses

There's nothing to say those guns can't be replaced with other models.  
      February 8, 2021 7:43 AM MST

It is a gun ban. 

Why should anyone have to replace their gun? They cannot even legally sell the gun for the money they have tied up in their legal firearm. 
    Why should they now have to train to use another gun after using the one they already had? 

Again it is a Gun ban. 
      February 8, 2021 8:04 AM MST

There is no point in continuing this conversation as there is no way you will admit that no one is preventing gun ownership.  Have a nice day.
      February 8, 2021 8:08 AM MST

GUNS were just banned. 

Do you believe they will just in one day ban all guns? No....it will be in steps as a time. 
      February 8, 2021 8:15 AM MST

Once again, you don't seem to understand the difference between banning CERTAIN guns and banning ALL guns.  And, I wouldn't worry about it because the only one that would likely have wanted to do that was Trump so he could make himself King.  He's toast.  And, if you don't live in California, stop worrying about it.  THEY ARE NOT COMING FOR YOUR GUNS.
      February 8, 2021 8:26 AM MST

Again.  It is a gun ban. Now, they will not ban...all guns. Even Australia has not banned all guns.
    The people living in CA who own one of these guns....they just came for their gun. This post was edited by my2cents at February 9, 2021 4:12 PM MST
      February 8, 2021 8:33 AM MST

It is NOT a ban, nobody is taking them away. It's merely no longer possible to BUY certain types of guns, many of which should never have been legal in the first place.
    As for the selective picking of the Australian government site - I live here. The vics weren't packing heat in the first place, and government and police are both on record as stating flatly that the ban of SOME guns was not a cause of the slight increase in some types of crime. Suicides and homicides are WAY down. Don't make too much stew from one oyster.
    An aerosol can of personal insect repellent is a better form of defense anyway - can't blow a hole in the user if mishandled, doesn't need training to use properly, won't jam or run out of ammunition and anybody who gets a face full of the stuff quits the party unable to see for an hour or two. And it's perfectly legal, my wife has carried a can in her handbag for a couple of decades (and also puts it on the grandchildren to ward off mosquitoes - there's been a spate of cases of Murray Valley encephalitis, a mosquito-borne illness that is particularly nasty).
      February 10, 2021 12:31 AM MST

AU rapes and assaults increased that is a fact and it is not selective. It does not matter if the majority of victims where not originally packing heat....the point is when you disarm ALL the victims the criminal knows NONE of them are packing heat. 

They are not allowed to buy that gun....that is a ban of that gun. 
      February 10, 2021 3:28 PM MST

It was a safe bet. 95% of all guns in Australia (a vanishingly small percentage of the population have ever owned a gun) were owned by men (and still are). As I pointed out, other, still legal, forms of defense are a better option anyway.
    The USA gets more guns massacres per month than we have had in twenty years. QED.
      February 12, 2021 1:05 AM MST

Again...disarming all lets the criminal know NO one is armed.  Does not matter who owns a weapon.  All the firearms in my house are owned by my husband and sons.  That does not mean I cannnot/will not use them to defend myself.

Yes US has more gun crime.  We have guns.  AU has more rapes, more rape victims, more assaults, more burglary, and more auto theft than the US. Why? The criminals know their victims are not armed.  This post was edited by my2cents at February 12, 2021 6:50 AM MST
      February 12, 2021 6:35 AM MST

Not true.
    https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Australia/United-States/Crime

And the number of rapes per million population differs by less than 3%, so your guns are not helping. Reporting rates are higher in Australia, too - America's rapes are under-represented because fewer victims report them. Our police are not feared like yours are.
    You have also conveniently ignored the difference between "assault" and "serious assault" - the rate of the latter is many times higher in the US. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 12, 2021 10:06 PM MST
      February 12, 2021 4:01 PM MST

February 13, 2021 8:11 AM MST

The site to which you link mentions de-certified handguns -- not "banned."

"These models may no longer be sold, offered for sale, or manufactured in California." But -- I'm asking this as an outsider -- has anyone actually come to take them away from the people who already own them?

Seems like it would be a gigantic task.
      February 9, 2021 2:14 PM MST

Decertify means you cannot buy/sell/own/posess that gun in the state of CA.  That is a ban in my book. 
    They will ask people to turn them in voluntarily first. Then they will send someone to your house if they believe you did not volunteer. This post was edited by my2cents at February 10, 2021 3:41 PM MST
      February 9, 2021 4:09 PM MST

I've been trying to read more about what decertification concretely means, but seem unable to find the right info. As far as I can tell -- again, from the site to which you link -- it doesn't make possessing those firearms illegal. It only says it's illegal to sell, offer, or manufacture them. But I may be wrong.
      February 10, 2021 5:21 AM MST

You are correct.  Posessing of the gun is still allowed. I did misunderstand that part. Thank you. 
      February 10, 2021 3:30 PM MST

Nope, California wants them all as does Biden.

Biden’s platform reads like a gun control nightmare. Some of the items he’s mentioned as goals of a Biden administration include:

Banning the sale of guns and ammunition online, including kits and even gun parts.

Mandating that only 100% smart guns be sold.

Limiting a purchaser to no more than one gun per month to stop “stockpiling.”

Banning ‘assault weapons’ and standard capacity magazines.

Banning so-called “ghost guns” and home builds.

Mandatory government “buy-back” or registration of some “scary” rifles and magazines.

Universal background checks on all gun sales (excepting very close family members, only)
    Make anybody convicted of a misdemeanor “hate crime” ineligible to own guns
    –permanently.

Create a program where anybody who is no longer allowed to own guns –for whatever
    a myriad of reasons — will be forced to turn them into the government.

Allocate government funding to incentivize states to pass “Red Flag Laws.”

February 9, 2021 2:53 PM MST

Have you looked at HR 127...it is unconstitutional. But they are trying to pass it.
      February 9, 2021 4:11 PM MST

Yes, it is unconstitutional but that doesn't seem to matter to the gun-grabbers. If that bill eventually becomes law, the 2nd Amendment will still be in the U.S. Constitution, but for all practical purposes, the rights that it is supposed to guarantee will be dead and gone.

This bill would also apply retroactively. Within three months, you would have to report to the government where you bought all of your guns when they were purchased, and where they are currently being stored.

Needless to say, if the government knows where all of your guns are being stored, it would make it that much easier to grab them from you at some future date. That would mean that owning a gun would no longer be a right.

Instead, it would be reduced to a “privilege” that the government could take away at any time.  As I said before, they are coming for our guns and it will not end well for the United States. Our government leaders have absolutely no idea what they are getting themselves into if this bill is passed.
      February 9, 2021 11:22 PM MST

The only way they will get it through the Sen is if they nuke the filibuster. I don't know if they are that stupid or not.  They will not be in control for ever.
      February 10, 2021 3:32 PM MST

I think you're right about not being in control forever. But something tells me they will be in control long enough to cause significant damage to our country. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that.
      February 10, 2021 6:31 PM MST

As long as the filibuster remains we will be able to fight the worst of their plans. 
      February 10, 2021 7:05 PM MST