Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Poll: for those of you who own a smartphone, cell phone, mobile phone, how often do you shut it off completely or shut it down completely?

Poll: for those of you who own a smartphone, cell phone, mobile phone, how often do you shut it off completely or shut it down completely?

1.  Never

2.  At least a few times a day

3.  At least twice a day

4.  Every night when I go to sleep 

5. Two or more of the above answers 

6.  Even though you already covered this at the your question, I do not own either of the three, meaning that it’s not directed to me, but I felt a compulsion to reply anyway

7.  None of the above/different answer

~

Posted - February 7, 2021

Responses

I didn't know you could turn them off!
      February 7, 2021 7:40 PM MST

Maybe once a month...if the battery completely dies. 
      February 7, 2021 8:12 PM MST

7.  I have a cell phone which is always off unless I want to make a call.  When I'm done with the call, I turn it off and that's how it stays until I want to make another call.
      February 7, 2021 9:34 PM MST

Never, I might miss his call.  Lol
      February 8, 2021 1:52 PM MST

Mine stays turned off in my purse all the time.  When I'm out I get it out and turn it on if I need to make a call.  That's all it's for.  I have a charger in my purse too as well as a car charger in the car.  When I travel I do leave it on.
      February 8, 2021 9:24 PM MST

All the same instruments except the so-called "smart"-phone has more functions and processing-power than the plain cell / mobile ' phone. They are all portable not mobile too - the latter adjective was applied in the UK by advertisers not knowing the difference, and soon adopted by sellers and customers ignorant of the difference too.

My portable 'phone augments my broadband phone and spends more time off than on. It is always off when I am -

- In bed,
     - Driving (it's dangerous and a serious traffic offence to use them for calls or text when actually driving),
     - At an entertainment event or something like a church service (the latter's only funerals),
     - In social company (simple etiquette).

Usually too if I am out simply shopping or going for a walk; and I usually leave it at home then, as well.

I have not connected it to the Internet, but I doubt a screen only 57 X 42mm could display a web-site in any useful way anyway.

Besides, it helps keep parasites like Google at bay. Though if they can still track its location when it is turned on, they might wonder why it is randomly at or near home for months then suddenly in some apparently-random area far away, for just 10  minutes or so, on just a very few, apparently-random dates!

February 25, 2021 11:38 AM MST

The reasons I referred to the devices in so many different ways are that 1) in certain locations worldwide, they are known by differing designations, and 2) some people who only recognize or only accept one particular reference might assume that I’m not including it if it is not named. 

~

February 25, 2021 11:54 AM MST

Yes - a good point. I would not be surprised if there are people here who have only ever known "smart" phones, too!
      February 25, 2021 12:00 PM MST

That’s similar to the concept that as of about five to ten years ago, we now have an entire generation of people who have never known life without cell phones, including having used them constantly since their infancy. They are now behind the steering wheels of vehicles and cannot fathom the don‘t-drive-and-text, or only use hands-free methods when driving.
    ~

February 25, 2021 12:08 PM MST

never, there really isn’t any point to turn it off 
      February 25, 2021 12:03 PM MST

maybe a couple times a month... 
      May 15, 2021 1:14 AM MDT