Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » This month 150 years ago 'Descent of Man' was published by Charles Darwin. Does God play a role in evolution?

This month 150 years ago 'Descent of Man' was published by Charles Darwin. Does God play a role in evolution?

Posted - February 15, 2021

Responses

God and evolution aren't mutually exclusive and are very incompatible. One is fact based and the other is faith based, but I'm a little iffy with evolution.
      February 15, 2021 9:28 AM MST

Supernatural creation was suitable for people in prescientific times.
      February 15, 2021 9:39 AM MST

Because they didn't know any better and didn't have a better explanation of what was happening around them.
      February 15, 2021 9:43 AM MST

Evolution is still considered a scientific theory because scientists cannot achieve a reliable basis to predict evolutionary changes.
      February 15, 2021 9:51 AM MST

In that case, no one is right. Regardless, I have a problem with both sides, but I'm leaning more towards evolution. Less bull on that side. This post was edited by Zack at February 15, 2021 2:30 PM MST
      February 15, 2021 2:23 PM MST

I think there is still a problem about how life could begin from non-living matter but that has nothing to do with evolution.
      February 15, 2021 2:35 PM MST

It depends how one thinks he or she believes what God is.

If you think God is a man in the sky with a plan, then no, God has nothing to do with evolution.

If you think God is a creator, unseen, unheard, endless without a time frame for a specific mission, eternal without condemnation to any style of life form, then yes, This vision leads to an unfathomable, immeasurable, creator and evolution needs creation to advance, mature and unfold.
      February 15, 2021 6:14 PM MST

God, if he exists I think of as a spirit and a spirit cannot create material stuff. A scientific law already has proven that material/matter has existed infinitely so there no needs be a. Creator. 

Maybe God at best could create an illusion of our existence which could then make the Bible and supernatural creation 'true'. This post was edited by Kittigate at February 15, 2021 8:30 PM MST
      February 15, 2021 6:55 PM MST

God is not a HE nor a SHE.

If God is a Spirit as one may envision, then it is safe to defend what one has constituted from that reflection. 
    So, you have every right in the free world to defend that concept, even without evidence.

It is not God who creates illusions of our existence. It is humankind who creates illusions of our existence.
    God has better things to do; like make rocks bang , forming gases from the by product to create carbon, in other galaxies.

February 15, 2021 7:14 PM MST

Only if you believe in God, and then there is no philosophical or theological incompatibility because natural events and processes are how God makes, changes and destroys natural things.
      April 24, 2021 8:17 AM MDT