Malizz
Danilo_G
a m b e r
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once upon a time ESPERANTO was going to be the magic key allowing peoples of the world to communicate with one another. Why did it die?

Once upon a time ESPERANTO was going to be the magic key allowing peoples of the world to communicate with one another. Why did it die?

Posted - February 19

• 435
    The Internet has been a boon to Esperanto’s popularity, with speakers communicating through social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Major websites such as Google and Wikipedia are available in the language. More than a million people have taken the Esperanto course on Duolingo the popular language-learning site, since it was launched in 2015.
    If you wish to learn about Esperanto, Google "Esperanto USA".  You may be suprised at the number of people in the world who speak it. It may be fine saying my smart phone can translate for me, but that is not the same as speaking directly to another person. (It is not used much in USA by people who do not travel internationally, but in Europe and Asia there are many different languages for the people who travel outside their country.)
      February 19, 2021 7:44 PM MST
    2

• 103163
    Thank you for your very informative reply Maurice. Obviously I had no idea. Do you speak the language? Those who do form a subculture I guess worldwide. Good to know. Happy Saturday to thee and thine. STAY SAFE! :)
      February 20, 2021 3:17 AM MST
    1

• 435
    Do I speak the language, NO.  But back in the 80's and 90's I could write it. I communicated using e-mail with a person in the Netherlands. We used English, Dutch, and Esperanto. (I did not do well with the Dutch) This post was edited by Maurice214 at February 21, 2021 7:59 AM MST
      February 20, 2021 12:53 PM MST
    1

• 103163
    Color me impressed Maurice. Now it is based on phonics or is that something else? Who developed it? Do you know? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      February 21, 2021 8:00 AM MST
    0

• 435
     Esperanto is relatively simple for Europeans to learn because its words are derived from roots commonly found in the European languages, particularly in the Romance languages. Thus is a bit more difficult for English speaking people. It was created by Polish ophthalmologist L. L. Zamenhof in 1887. (Romance languages have no "it". Everything is "he" or "she" as in French) It was supposed to be easy due to the structure of sentences, etc. Once again making it difficult for us English speakers who change sentence structure whenever we feel like it. 
      February 22, 2021 6:57 PM MST
    1

• 103163
    1887? Oh my goodness! I had no idea it had been around that long! Thank you for taking this conversation a step further so I could get the backstory Maurice. I appreciate it. Oh I giggled at your last sentence. Funny m'dear! Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      February 23, 2021 2:08 AM MST
    0

• 1893
    It never attained critical mass. Also it lacked any buy in to major languages such as Arabic, Chinese and Russian.
      February 20, 2021 4:31 AM MST
    1

• 103163
    So mostly it was useful to English speaking and Spanish speaking and I guess French and German too? I think it's a good thought but one would have to take the time to learn it and maybe folkls are too busy doing other things? Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      February 21, 2021 8:01 AM MST
    0