Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I never had an "imaginary playmate" as a child. Did you? If so why?

I never had an "imaginary playmate" as a child. Did you? If so why?

Posted - February 19, 2021

Responses

Not an imaginary playmate but I did sometimes have an imaginary mate to have conversations with. We would always both agree that I was right. This post was edited by Kittigate at February 20, 2021 3:22 AM MST
      February 19, 2021 10:33 AM MST

How cute is that? It's quite remarkable that you found a mate with whom you could ALWAYS agree. Makes for a peaceful life which is something valuable to have. Thank you for your reply Kg and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      February 20, 2021 3:23 AM MST

Oh, yes!  a great many of them, in fact.   I had no friends, and no one ever wanted to play with me.  I was 5 years younger than my siblings, so they had other friends.  In the words of Neil Diamond's song Shilo, "So you turn on the only friend you can find... There in your mind.".
      February 19, 2021 1:29 PM MST

I never did that though as you know I was a loner too. Not by design. That's just the way it was for me. I read voraciously and escaped into the worlds of fairy tales. I devoured them! I was carried away to different lands through them. But I never created my own playmates or friends. I'm reminded of that movie Harvey with Jimmy Stewart. A Rabbit! Rather large I gather. Amusing. I wonder if those who did create playmates carried through with them to adulthood. I know I talk to me myself and I all the time in my head. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Saturday! :)
      February 20, 2021 3:21 AM MST

Yes, but they were generally short lived episodes.

Close real life friendships were rare.  

February 20, 2021 3:45 AM MST

So they filled a need though short-term? Were your temporary imaginary friends way more better than the ones you had in "real" life? Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! Doin' okay I hope? :)
      February 20, 2021 10:44 AM MST