Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Business » Effective ads = profits. Which companies or specific products do you avoid because of their advertising methods?

Effective ads = profits. Which companies or specific products do you avoid because of their advertising methods?

:(

Posted - February 20, 2021

Responses

I stay away from most all ads.  I particularly dislike ads having to do with personal hygiene and I will definitely leave a site when there is more than one pop-up ad that interferes with my reading an article or comment.
      February 20, 2021 9:46 AM MST

use an ad blocker.
      February 20, 2021 10:16 AM MST

I am just trying out one today.  I'll see how it goes.  Thanks.
      February 20, 2021 5:54 PM MST

An onslaught of advertising hits me every moment while on the internet. I don't even see who they are anymore, I ignore them them 99% of the time.  The 1% of "take over the page ads" are the ones which are most upsetting. Facebook is most annoying by following me around the internet trying to get me to click yes it's ok they track me. If I don't click "allow" the video usually doesn't play.  So annoying I have saved 103 examples of their efforts. See sample below. Most are from Fox news articles. The second I click "don't allow" the video disappears. Finally out of frustration, I quit saving the new samples.  Another "take over the page" ad is when a large page size ad takes over for a grocery store etc.  I don't remember them consciously but the negative effect is stored unconsciously, in the Grrrrrr department of my mind.

February 20, 2021 10:28 AM MST

You’re probably like me: I don’t give them one cent of my money. No rewards here for bad behavior. 
    ~

February 20, 2021 8:31 PM MST

Why all the sample ad's from singles dating service and a toothpaste ad as well Randolph?
    You wouldn't be advertising yourself...now...would you?
      February 20, 2021 10:34 AM MST

(ad’s ads)

February 20, 2021 8:32 PM MST

I’m not single. And besides, I have a Harem to run. 

~

February 20, 2021 8:33 PM MST

What is a "Certified Christian", exactly? 

LOL!

I don't know that I avoid due to advertising methods, other than I rarely click on ads. I'm more likely to avoid due to particular actions or beliefs of the company, but even that isn't 100%. I try to be conscientious, but I don't think I'm a fanatic. 
      February 20, 2021 11:24 AM MST

Almost all ads are deceptive. It is a hobby of mine to trash them and drive my wife crazy. What does 'Ten shades whiter' mean? Automobile lease ads are fun. $159/month low mileage lease. Usually 24 months with $3,699 due at signing. People are stupid.
      February 20, 2021 12:46 PM MST

I have been watching daytime CNN and the ads I see aimed at trusting seniors infuriate me. Tom Selleck pitches reverse mortgages, assuring that you won't lose your home. I know an elderly couple who outlived their reverse mortgage and the bank foreclosed on them and took their home. Then there are the ads telling seniors that they may not be getting all their Medicare Benefits (with a long list of things they might be eligible for) and to call for a free analysis. They use a name that makes it seem like the ad is from the government, but it's actually an insurance company. There are minutes-long heart-wrenching appeals from various charities, which make me wonder how these charities actually use the donations.  If a company target vulnerable people or uses bait and switch tactics, I avoid them.
      February 20, 2021 3:53 PM MST

In one so-called 'medicare' ad, the background looks suspiciously like my card and the name of the company is Med1care. Sneaky. I can see how people get fooled.
      February 21, 2021 11:25 AM MST

Hi there... sorry... the dev was eager to help us start generating some profit and I didn't realize he'd thrown those on the site already. I've asked him to remove them ASAP. 
      February 20, 2021 8:18 PM MST

THANK YOU!

(Will we also get our back-to-top button restored?)

~

February 20, 2021 8:36 PM MST

I avoid everything to do with the puppet master, Rupert Murdererdoch.
      February 21, 2021 3:40 AM MST