Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You can't take credit for the genes you have but you can take credit for what you do with them. So how we doing?

You can't take credit for the genes you have but you can take credit for what you do with them. So how we doing?

"It's what you do with what ya got and never mind how much ya got it's what ya do with what ya got that pays off in the end!"

Posted - February 27, 2021

Responses

I think I've inherited some very good genes - health for one, intellect for another.  I never liked school that much after junior high school with the exception of my secretarial courses.  I like to learn, but at my own pace and the subject which interest me.  Of course, if you don't have some kind of broad education, you don't know how much is out there that might interest you.  I think that with just a high school diploma, I've done pretty well in that I've always earned a very good living, I've been employed consistently since I graduated in 1963 and I've worked hard towards making reasonably sure I have a decent lifestyle when I finally decide to stop working without denying myself things that I want to do or things I want to have.  
      February 28, 2021 1:34 PM MST

I have an A.A. (Associate Arts) Degree in Liberal Arts from Pasadena City College. I went to UCLA  thereafter for one month and dropped out. That campus was WAY TOO BIG for me. I just wasn't happy there. I was rooming with a girl I had gone to Jr. College with and her mom near the university. It never felt like home. Then right away I got a part-time job at Bullock's Department Store near the campus. I don't know what I was thinking. I got overwhelmed so I withdrew. I had called my dad to come get me. My son got his Ph.D at UCLA in 2004!. The completion of that circle of life for another generation. So I secretaried it for awhile. Went to night school at Pasadena City College and took Economics and Logic. Then I also later took a class in Accounting and with the help of really smart and kind auditors on the jobs I had  encountered through the years I became an Accountant! Not a CPA but an in-house auditor. We always had an outside CPA firm come in each year to audit my work and the work of the other staff members. I loved it. But I think I've been blessed and watched over and given opportunities that just dropped into my lap. Never ambitious. I just wanted to work at something I could love and I did and it worked out really well! You did too. Lucky us! Thank you for your reply L and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      March 1, 2021 2:19 AM MST

Yes, good jobs have always fallen into my lap - especially the one I have now with a boss that is wonderful.  I remember thinking when I came to be interviewed by him that, if I got the job it, would probably be the last one I ever had.  It's turning out to be true. :)
      March 1, 2021 5:48 AM MST

I think during the interview you get an idea of what lies ahead. If the person doing the interviewing is the one for whom you will work. That's almost an IMPERATIVE. You can tell if you click very easily. But if a third party does the hiring and then you are taken to where you will be working and for whom it could get dicey. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 1, 2021 12:11 PM MST
      March 1, 2021 11:47 AM MST

It's true.  The funny thing is that a while back, he told me he had the same feeling about me after the interview.  In fact, he had two other women to interview that day and he told the secretarial supervisor to cancel the appointments; he had found what he wanted.  :)
      March 1, 2021 12:12 PM MST

How awesome is that? Of course  it would have to be a two-way street to be REAL and the length of your friendship with him for so many years attests to that! I think some people never find that in a positive/good way. I imagine the wicked click with one another too. Sometimes it's just a word choice that lets you know you've met someone with whom you can communicate. I know it sounds odd but it's happened to me. I don't think it's conceit or having a "superiority complex" so much as finding someone who expresses him or herself similarly. A sympatico connection. Not a rubber stamp by any means but that the "materials" used in that human being are very much the same as you. Just put together a bit differently. Does that make sense to you? I don't know how else to put it. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 2, 2021 6:08 AM MST
      March 2, 2021 2:58 AM MST

Not everyone you meet will be your cup of tea as a boss, boyfriend or anything else.  I think much of what draws us to another person, male or female, is subconscious.  My boss is not a particularly handsome man, but he exudes a friendliness in his manner.  He has an easy smile, makes people feel comfortable in his presence, is VERY smart, is non-judgmental, is quick to praise and long to criticize.  He's generous both financially and as a mentor helping others achieve success.  He has never held back any associate with whom he worked if they found a better position in another area.  In all the years I've been working with him, I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him.  
      March 2, 2021 6:13 AM MST

An all around NICE guy. I'm happy to know they still exist here and there. Thank you for your reply L. I wonder if a day will ever come when there are no more nice guys? Anyone who does nice things will be put in jail. Makes others look bad so well they have to go! I wouldn't be surprised. if Footoo by some stroke of bad luck ever has the power again watch out! :(
      March 2, 2021 1:18 PM MST

Yes, he is one of the nicest people I know.  I couldn't have worked with him for almost30 years if he wasn't. :)
      March 2, 2021 9:58 PM MST

Right backatcha. He couldn't have worked with you for 30 years if you weren't one of the nicest people HE knows. Two-way street ya know! Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 3, 2021 3:17 PM MST
      March 3, 2021 10:40 AM MST

Very true.  When we finished the interview, he said the only way we'll know if its going to work is to try and, periodically, we would review how each of us felt we were doing.  Our running joke is asking each other on each anniversary if the other thinks it's working out.
      March 3, 2021 3:19 PM MST

Geez honey I just sort of giggled. I LOVE IT! That' what Jim and I say. I mean we met late in life. I turned 60 and he turned 62 together. We'd been dating for a couple of months. He inherited me at the hair stylist shop I'd go to. I had been on my own alone for 20 years! I dated now and then but had a nice cozy quiet content  basically SOLITARY life. I think my son thought for sure I'd screw it up! One way or the other. I was not offended because he was right to think that. I am not quiet about what I think. I used to be shy and a "good little wife". I grew out of that and asserted myself and my opinions and how I saw things. I didn't play any girly games. So from time to time we joke about it. "And they said it would never work out"! AS IF. I think it helps very bigly that we had prior experiences with which to compare. Also we are both Scorpios and so we view many things similarly. We do disagree from time to time but as I told you before never about anything SERIOUS. 24 years and counting! There ya go! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 4, 2021 3:45 AM MST

I'm glad you found your Prince Charming. :)
      March 4, 2021 5:56 AM MST

You know I think why is that I wasn't looking. So like other things in my life he just dropped into my lap without any effort on my part. If that hairstyle salon had turned me over to another stylist we never would have met. And so it goes! That's what makes me wonder about life. Is everything happenstance or are some things already fated? Thank you for your reply L! Oh Jim knows all about you and our friendship. I think you know all about him by now! :)
      March 4, 2021 5:58 AM MST

Maybe I should start going to a hair salon.  Unfortunately, the only times I've gone to a hairdresser, the man was gay!  I think I believe somewhat in fate.  Otherwise, so many things cannot be explained as to how they worked out the way they did.  Tell Jim I said I think he's a keeper. :)
      March 4, 2021 6:00 AM MST

Gay? I have something to share with you about another hairstylist long ago. My best friend Patricia and I were putzing around in town and passed by a hair salon. I peaked in and standing there doing hair was the cutest guy I'd ever seen. Know what I did? Walked in and made an appointment with him. Now I don't remember how I got his name. Maybe I just asked the receptionist. So I had the appointment and kept if of course and we hit if off so great we started dating. He was straight to my delight although honestly if he hadn't been I would not have minded at all. We got along so well. You can never have too many friends. We dated for a few months and then I don't remember why we stopped. I might have met someone else or he might have. But we had a great time while it lasted and parted as friends. It was a very bold thing I did and it turned out so well. His name was Jurgen Piehl (not sure of the last name spelling) (pronounced yergan) and was a naturalized citizen having come to America with his parents from another country. A really nice man whom I would have never met had I not made that move! So peek inside and see what you see. Jim retired at the age of 65. Lots of mature nice guys work a long time as hair stylists. Worst case you might make a friend. Best case? To be decided! Thank you for your reply L. This post was edited by RosieG at March 4, 2021 10:35 AM MST
      March 4, 2021 7:03 AM MST

It's been a really long time since I had a standing hair appointment.  Once I decided to go short, I was cutting it myself and I don't color it, so there really wasn't any need to see a hairstylist.  Now I go to a lady in PA where my sister gets her hair cut and I love her.  Haven't been for a cut since March - she's going to flip out when she sees how long my hair got. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at March 9, 2021 5:11 AM MST
      March 4, 2021 10:37 AM MST

My hair is long and I just put it back in a clip. I guess being bald in 2008 when my hair grew back again I didn't really want it cut. Thank you for your reply L. You know being bald really makes you COLD. Even in summer I had to wear something on my head. I don't know how bald folks do it. Go bareheaded! L(
      March 9, 2021 5:12 AM MST

It isn't really long enough to put back in a clip.  I've been using combs to pull it back on the sides.  I've noticed that my hair is thinning, so the less I pull it from anywhere, the better which is why I can't wait to get a haircut.
      March 9, 2021 10:33 AM MST

I used to have very thick hair. Then I got pregnant and it thinned out for some reason. After the chemo and the hair grew back it grew back curly for a bit which I LOVED. Then it straightened out so I'm back to straight hair with a few bends. Not the greatest look but I'm not a fan of having my hair pulled on. I'm good with it and Jim thinks it's pretty. Even if he didn't he would never say so. He is a retired hair stylist you know. How many women would LOVE to be in my shoes? The last time he gave me a perm? Before the I got the cancer which was told to me in December 2007. There ya go! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 9, 2021 12:10 PM MST

My hair was much thicker when I was younger, too.  It seems that either the thyroid problem I have or the medication which I take for it is partly responsible for it's thickness.  I can live with it no matter.  :)
      March 9, 2021 12:55 PM MST

Me too. When I was bald in 2008 Jim took me to a friend he had who made very nice wigs and she made a wig for me. I put it on. It was a lovely wig and a lovely shade of gray. My own hair is salt and pepper. It gave me a headache after a few minutes. So I abandoned it. It is somewhere in a closet in a box. I just wore a cap when out. Some gals just go out with heads uncovered. I know why. It's a lot more comfy that way. I've heard the Dolly Parton has worn wigs her entire life. I don't see how she does it! Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 10, 2021 2:39 AM MST

I've never worn a wig, but I can imagine it would be uncomfortable.  
      March 10, 2021 6:09 AM MST

It was for me but I think some gals don't mind it a bit. Anything to enhance appearance. I guess I'm not that appearance oriented. My mom was. If she were sick but had to go out she'd put on makeup and get all dressed up. Appearance meant a lot ot her. I suppose when I was younger it did. Now? Comfort is my guiding principle. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 11, 2021 3:45 AM MST