Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Poor Americans are country's most CHARITABLE demographic". They donate more PER CAPITA than higher income brackets. WHY IS THAT?

"Poor Americans are country's most CHARITABLE demographic". They donate more PER CAPITA than higher income brackets. WHY IS THAT?

It seems odd to me but I guess it's because the poor are more loving kind considerate.

What else could it be?

Posted - February 28, 2021

Responses

They know what it's like to be poor.

The more money one has, the harder it is for them to let some of it go.   
      February 28, 2021 12:27 PM MST

Which is so weird to me. I don't know what percent of "chartitable" contributions is due to a loving kind giving heart and what percent is due to the advice of a tax accountant that the client needs tax writeoffs! Probably better I don't! Sigh. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 1, 2021 2:23 AM MST

I think they can empathize more with someone who's down and out because they may have been there themselves.  It's hard to imagine what poverty is when you have always had a lot of money and have no idea what it's like to live on the streets or not have enough to eat.  
      February 28, 2021 1:27 PM MST

We know that the poor have no tax accountants to advise them. No need. So what they give is from the heart not because they need tax writeoffs. Some wealthy folks of course do have kind hearts and are charitable and kind and want to help. But I suspect mostly to has to do with being given advice to "donate". Sigh. "What's in it for me?" THE FOOTOO mantra is not his alone. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 1, 2021 2:22 AM MST

I think the moderately wealthy may give more as a tax benefit, but the ultra wealthy give to help.  After all, there is only so much you can claim as a tax deduction.
      March 1, 2021 5:45 AM MST

Some if not many or all ultra wealthy often pay no taxes at all through a series of legal but marginal writeoffs. But I know there are some extremely wealthy people who ARE charitable. Bill and Melinda Gates for one. But also there are many in the sports world who have charitable foundations that they do charity events for and give millions to because they come from a place where they often had nothing. You can name any star athlete in any sport and I BETCHA he/she will have a charitable foundation to GIVE BACK to those less fortunate. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 1, 2021 5:53 AM MST
      March 1, 2021 5:50 AM MST

Bill and Melinda Gates are the poster children for charitable giving for all the right reasons.  Warren Buffet is, too.  In fact, when the Gates Foundation was instituted, Buffet was going to start his own foundation and decided that there was no point in reinventing the wheel, so he now contributes that money to Gates.  Foundations most likely reap tax abatement rewards, which is helpful to athletes when they make so much money.  I believe Mariano River, the former Yankee pitcher, does a lot of charitable giving.  
      March 1, 2021 5:56 AM MST

Early on Bill and Melinda signed a pledge and got 100 other billionaire couples to sign it too stating that the bulk of their fortunes would be given to charity. Their children know. Of course they will not starve to death but I expect all the parents expect their children to EARN A LIVING and also be involved in GIVING. Would that all parents of all financial categories would do the same! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 1, 2021 5:58 AM MST

No doubt they all made arrangements for their children to be set for life.  Teaching your children to earn their own living and stand on their own two feet is essential.  Teaching to give of their time and money is equally important.  It humbles us and reminds us that we are so fortunate to be in a position to give to others who can't do for themselves.
      March 1, 2021 6:42 AM MST

Precisely. I bet their children are all involved somehow in those charities. Remember Princess Diana would take her boys with her when she went out into the world and visited the poor? I think it made them more caring and charitable. I don't KNOW for sure but I think it didn't hurt. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 1, 2021 7:09 AM MST

That wouldn't surprise me at all.  I think of the two men, Prince Harry is the more sympathetic - at least he's seem to show more emotion than Charles.  
      March 1, 2021 12:22 PM MST

William will be King one day I expect. You know the scuttlebutt about Harry. That his father was not Charles but a redhead with whom Diana had a fling. I don't know if that's true. William stays inside the lines. Harry doesn't. I think he put the well-being of his wife ahead of his "duty" and I admire that. I think the British press can be exceedingly unkind though the American press is no angel either. I wish them well and it's odd but I think a lot of Brits dislike the Royals. They are privy to the inside of it. i just observe the outside so what do I know? Thank you for your reply L and Happy Tuesday. Boy Governor Cuomo really is coming undone. I did not know he was a bully but apparently that is his "management style". Now three gals have blown the whistle on him and I expect there will be more to come. How sad that something so tawdry may be his undoing. Sigh. This post was edited by RosieG at March 2, 2021 6:14 AM MST
      March 2, 2021 2:47 AM MST

I agree with your take on Charles.  As a likely heir to the throne, he must remain within the boundaries of the royal court.  I think Harry did the right thing in putting his family first.  I believe he felt that the British press would hound Megan like they did Dianna and that it would seriously impact their relationship.  He is clearly smitten with her.  I think it has caused a rift between William and Harry, but Harry did what he thought was right.  I give him a lot of credit for peeling off from the vultures.

As for Gov. Cuomo, he's falling from grace faster than a boulder off a mountain.  Too bad because i a lot of ways, he's been a pretty good governor.  I don't know how much of these women's stories are true, but even if its only partially true, the optics are terrible and this could be the end of his political career.  
      March 2, 2021 6:20 AM MST

I can't figure out why the women stayed on and put up with it or why they didn't go to the personnel office and report it or to the press the first time it happened. It kinda sorta mildly happened to me once. I was in the office of the "boss" and he put his hand on my knee. When I left his office I went directly to the director of personnel and reported it. I got transferred to another division THAT DAY and it was closer to home. I heard later that they caught him coming on to a local restaurant  against her will who screamed bloody murder and he was "let go". Putting up with anything that makes me uncofmrtable is something I would never do. Why other women do beats me.  Oh. He had also put a package on my desk that looked like a present. I did not open it and gave it to the director of personnel and told him whatever it was I did not want it. That was the only time any supervisor made me feel uncomfortable. I guess I'm lucky. Thank you for your reply L! ::
      March 2, 2021 1:11 PM MST

I worked for someone who harassed me in spite of my turning him down at every turn.  It seemed the more I declined his overtures, the more he seemed encouraged to continue.  After 6 months, I found another job.  

I don't know why women continue in their jobs if they're being harassed.  Cuomo has been in office for several years now so why, all of a sudden, are these women coming out of the woodwork?  I'm not saying they're lying about what happened, but if they were that offended, it would seem they would have come out with the news sooner.  
      March 2, 2021 10:02 PM MST

I don't understand it either L. Thank you for your reply. Did it ever occur to you to go over his head and report him? I mean working for him is different from having it come from a co-worker I know. But he had a boss right? Did you ever think of doing that? Anyway glad you got out when you did! :) I know there are women who harass men who work for them. Shows ineptness and desperation as well as lack of class or intelligence. :)
      March 3, 2021 10:38 AM MST

It was a small office and he was one of two partners.  His partner was the leader and I spoke with his secretary and she told me that I wasn't the only one who had the problem with him.  When I went to give my notice to the big partner, he offered me $3,000 a year more to continue working with that piece of slime and I told him I would spend that much a year in sneakers running around the desk.  That was the only job I ever left actually telling my boss exactly what I thought of him.  I knew I would never use him as a reference, so I burned that bridge.
      March 3, 2021 3:22 PM MST

Oh sweetie how sad is it that probably every woman has had some kind of insulting incident in her life from a jerk! I mean mine were so very minor I am very lucky. Still I would have preferred not having any such memories. Very insulting and demeaning and disrespectful of course. In my opinion. But it is what it is I guess. Will that ever change? You can't legislate respect for others. Too bad. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 4, 2021 3:31 AM MST

I agree you can't legislate respect and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Men who believe they can say/do anything and a woman will just take it weren't raised properly or they saw that in the way their father's treated their mothers.  Shameful, but back in the day, much of that was accepted, if not acceptable.  Times are different now and young women realize that they don't have to put up with that behavior.  
      March 4, 2021 5:58 AM MST

When I was younger I was never aware of stuff like that. Never occurred to me nor do I remember ever reading about it. I do remember one thing. Some women talking about being lusted after or desired. As if they were "complaining" about being hit on all the time. I don't think much of dames who do that. BRAG about how alluring and sexy they are and how men can't or won't leave them alone. Sheesh! That is not demure or ladylike in my opinion. I know. Different strokes but it got really disgusting at times. Know what I mean? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 4, 2021 6:03 AM MST

That's called a humble brag. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at March 4, 2021 10:37 AM MST
      March 4, 2021 6:07 AM MST

Seriously? It has a NAME? I did not know that L. How cool is that? So they are a breed apart?

I never knew and now I do thanks to you. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 4, 2021 6:55 AM MST

DARN - I mean "humble" brag.  It's when you complain that someone said something nice about you but you really like what they said.
      March 4, 2021 10:39 AM MST

I had a sort of discussion long ago on Answerbag with someone whose name I don't remember about that. She told me that whenever anyone gave her a compliment she became SUSPICIOUS of the motive. It made her feel the person doing the complimenting wanted something from her. I told her that was a terrible way to think. It disrespected the person's honor who did the complimenting as having ulterior motives when there was NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER of that. But I expect there are others just like her on whom compliments work in reverse. Save me from them. They are disfigured twisted weird. It shocked me and upset me a lot. Imagine giving such a one as that a compliment? I hope I never do. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 9, 2021 5:08 AM MST