Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Any of you stopped using a computer and rely on your SMART PHONE to do everything your computer used to do?

Any of you stopped using a computer and rely on your SMART PHONE to do everything your computer used to do?

Access the internet?
Send emails"
Other?

Posted - March 3, 2021

Responses

• AG

Yes. That's why I'm very rarely here.
      March 3, 2021 5:36 AM MST

Sorry but I don't understand. What does the mode of accessing Answermug have to do with accessing or choosing not to? I don't mean to be difficult I don't understand the connection. If you can do on your phone what you can do at home on your computer why not come here and chat? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine.
      March 3, 2021 10:19 AM MST

The site is really big and bulky on my phone. I've tried and I'll try again. It's a lot more user friendly for me on an actual computer, which I don't have. 

You're welcome and Happy Wednesday :)
      March 3, 2021 11:37 AM MST

Thank you for your reply AG! :)
      March 3, 2021 11:40 AM MST

You're welcome  This post was edited by AG at March 4, 2021 8:18 AM MST
      March 3, 2021 11:41 AM MST

:)
      March 3, 2021 11:51 AM MST

It you click "Lock Screen" at the top of the site. It makes it much more user friendly on your phone. 
      March 4, 2021 9:18 AM MST

Since I don't have a SmartPhone, I still must rely on my laptop.
      March 3, 2021 6:09 AM MST

Ditto. Me too! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 3, 2021 10:15 AM MST

yes but mostly out of convenience, if my laptop is nearby I would rather use that
      March 3, 2021 6:52 AM MST

Thank you for your reply a m b e r and Happy Wednesday to you and yours! :)
      March 3, 2021 10:13 AM MST

Depends on what I am doing. 
    Business work I need my computer. 
    Normally on the Mug I use my phone. Games, basic shopping etc phone works fine. And is more convenient. 
      March 3, 2021 11:35 AM MST

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      March 4, 2021 5:09 AM MST

Desk top only...no smart phone.
      March 3, 2021 12:32 PM MST

Ditto. Jim has one which I won't touch. Funny thing. He LOVES bells and whistles and gadgets and multi-drawers and multi-zippers. Me? I like simple. I'm going to ask a question that belies Jim and me. You get first look. Jim and I are both SCORPIOS. Here's the question. "Do you like bells and whistles and hidden compartments and state of the art brand new technology? Or do you not? What astrological sign are you?" I'm gonna run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes! Thank you for your reply E! :)
      March 4, 2021 5:21 AM MST

I am old school. I was into them when I could fix and build...but nowadays folks seem to be addicted to such things. I want life to be simple. For what it's worth, I am what others call a Scorpio also.
      March 4, 2021 8:14 AM MST

I know. Your birthday is 11/14. Tom's (haven't seen around for awhile) and Kittigate are Scorpios too.  That was the point of the question. Too subtle. You didn't notice it was a question in quotes I was going to ask. NO worries..
      March 4, 2021 9:09 AM MST

I have no so-called "smart" 'phone - just a basic portable 'phone and land-line.

I need a proper PC with decently-sized monitor for most of the software I use; also because I need a proper-size keyboard.

My telephones are just that - telephones. The portable one, PAYG, will handle text messages but only very awkwardly. I believe it can be linked to the Internet,  but would need a contract, and its screen smaller than a playing-card is no use for looking at web-sites.

I did have a "smart"-'phone for a while but found it very difficult to use, physically bulky and surprisingly heavy, did nothing I needed extra to a simple 'phone. So I paid off the 2-year contract and sold it to my sister after only about 6 months. 

My ISP (BT Broadband) keeps trying to sell me a "smart"-phone but I won't play ball, at least not until Big Business has finally forced all of us into bowing to their commands.
      March 3, 2021 2:52 PM MST

I don't mean to be nosy Durdle and you don't have to answer. What astrological sign are you? I'm a SCORPIO and I'm going to ask a question about it sort of. A thumbnail sketch or survey if you will which will only work if people answer it. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. I'm always looking for connections. I don't know if it's a hobby or an obsession! :) Guess what? Yep. I'm going to ask that too. This post was edited by RosieG at March 4, 2021 10:42 AM MST
      March 4, 2021 5:25 AM MST

I don't mind you asking. It's a rude question though I don't actually believe in astrology.

I'm a Leo, though I am more like a domestic pussy-cat than a big predator on the African grass-lands! :-) 

Looking at your reply to Malizz, yes, there are appliances now available that you can control remotely,  but to be honest I can't see the point of that for kitchen appliances. Especially a microwave! It looks more like a case of "because it can" than because it needs to.

Even so, it is possible to monitor your home while you are away, and a few years ago it hit the news in Britain when a man on holiday in Spain or France was able to call the police while it was being burgled, and could even tell them which room the burglars were in. 
      March 5, 2021 2:36 AM MST

Rude? Apologies. As you know I'm a very curious person. The folks with whom I click (I speak for myself not for you) are often certain astrological signs. I believe in it when the fortune favors me and I don't pay any attention when it doesn't. But since I have an open mind to all possibilities I find it omterestomg/fascinating. So is Numerology. Long ago I got into it. Much in lie fascinates me. I'm lucky that way. . It's a Rosie G investigation/research project. Do sun signs really mean anything? Over the years my best pals are certain signs. There are certain signs with which or whom I do not click at all. From my point of view. It's all I have so it's what I work with. Now as for technology. It's a mysterious thing to me that you can be in France and monitor what's going on in your home in Australia or Calcutta or Tahiti. Some advances are miraculous. Some are just annoying. Again my perspective. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      March 5, 2021 3:03 AM MST

By and large they are too small both for reading output and virtual keyboard input and I prefer to have my data on hardware.  

Some businesses use laptops plugged into larger screens. 

I only really use the smart bit of the phone for travel apps. 

This post was edited by Malizz at March 4, 2021 10:43 AM MST
      March 4, 2021 5:27 AM MST

Could you live without yours Malizz? I gather folks who are really into them can monitor their homes while away, open their car doors, get dinner ready by triggering the microwave or oven. What can't it do? That I do not know. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      March 4, 2021 9:11 AM MST

Well it was useful when my blood sugar ran low, getting me to the nearest bus stop just in time for the local bus home which was running 5 mins late. Don't think I would have died though: I could have cadged a chocolate from a friend living nearby. 
      March 4, 2021 1:35 PM MST