Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you ever traced the origins of any nursery rhymes, fairy tales or other classic children’s stories?

Have you ever traced the origins of any nursery rhymes, fairy tales or other classic children’s stories?

Some fascinating aspects of their origins are:

a] that many of them have similarities in various countries and across cultures throughout the entire world, poss due to cross-border trading, intermarriage, conquest, or intercontinental and international travels,
b] that their interconnectivity can sometimes transcend languages and even transcend written form due to being passed through the generations in oral tradition,
c] that even though they go back several centuries, even into ancient times, they still survive today,
d] that some have connections to real-world current events at the time of their telling, as opposed to merely being innocent child’s play, to include natural and man-made disasters, war, famine, drought, etc.,
e] that all but a very few employ some type of magic or science fiction,
f] that some of the characters are the vilest, the most evil, the most cruel representations of human and animal beings.
~

Posted - March 4, 2021

Responses

No. I don't need to, as you have done all of the work for me. Thanks. This post was edited by Element 99 at April 29, 2021 8:12 PM MDT
      March 4, 2021 8:37 AM MST

I know that "Ring around the Rosie" is about the plaque. 
      April 29, 2021 7:33 PM MDT

Humpty Dumpty. It's not an egg, but a CANNON.
    During the English Civil War, a platoon of Cavaliers (the "King's Men") hauled the gun up to the top of a church steeple located in a swamp, and used it to defend the town of St Mary's. When the attacking Roundheads gained the wall and blew it up, the cannon fell into the marsh and was lost, so the King's Men (and presumably their horses) were unable to put Humpty together again.
      April 29, 2021 8:04 PM MDT