Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Eavesdropping when you Overheard with your ears. What do you call it when you oversee with your eyes? Eyedropping?

Eavesdropping when you Overheard with your ears. What do you call it when you oversee with your eyes? Eyedropping?

Posted - March 19, 2021

Responses

Now you got me wondering where the term "Eavesdropping" came from.
    Turns out, it is pretty much like it sounds.
    early 17th century: back-formation from eavesdropper (late Middle English)‘a person who listens from under the eaves.

To your question ... I think we call those people "Peeping Tom".  
      March 19, 2021 6:19 AM MDT

You just gave me a very big compliment m'dear. Unintended I expect. I got YOU to wondering about something. I LOVE that you gave me that feedback. Thank you. Now doesn't "peeping tom" have a sexual compnent to it Walt? Happy Friday to you and yours! :)
      March 19, 2021 6:27 AM MDT

I think the correct term is "voyeur".
    The word voyeur came into English in the twentieth century from the French word voir, meaning “see.” A voyeur is someone who peeps, or spies on other people, watching them do things they probably don't want to be seen, or someone who likes to hear stories about strangers' private lives.

Yes, there is generally a sexual overtone to either term - but it isn't necessary.
      March 19, 2021 6:36 AM MDT

Voyeur? Fancy dancy French. Class it up a lot! Parlez-vouw Francais mon ami? Merci mille vois! :)
      March 19, 2021 6:46 AM MDT

I took Spanish in high school, and remember a tiny bit of it.  Not enough to carry on a conversation.  lol
    I maybe know a couple words in French, just because they are used in American language - or a book I may be reading.
    Same thing with a couple words from other languages.  
      March 19, 2021 11:26 AM MDT

I learned the flag salute in Spanish in the 4th grade. My vast exposure to that language. Considering I live in southern California abutting Mexico Spanish should have been my choice. I took 4 years of French. How have I used it since then? You got a small sample! Seriously what was I thinking?  Oh my son took French in high school too so sometimes we'd converse in the language. His dad was English/French and in fact his surname is on the ARCH DE TRIOMPHE! When my son was in France in 2001 he saw it right there. I did some research and who knows if he is related on his father's side?. He was a major player in the French Revolution! So much for French. Thank you for your reply. Oh there was an Armenian singer who lived in France named Charles Aznavour. I  bought a record once. He was something once upon a time. Small consolation! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 20, 2021 2:46 AM MDT
      March 19, 2021 11:58 AM MDT

I guess you could get along in French Canada ... maybe French Louisiana.  lol

When I was in high school, taking that Spanish class - the church I attended had a missionary visit.
    He was fluent in a dozen languages, at the time.
    I couldn't imagine that ... but he said the only way to truly learn and retain a language was to live it.
    Now, it's called "full immersion".  lol

While I was taking that class, I was trying to teach myself Russian from a Marine Corp Russian-English dictionary my dad had.
    I was about as successful learning that, and retaining it, as I was with the Spanish.  lol
      March 19, 2021 2:46 PM MDT

Russian? What would you do with it? I took an "Academic" course in high school to prepare me for college. A foreign language was a requirement so I opted for French. Had it not been required I most likely wouldn't have bothered. As it turned out I attended a junior college and have an A.A. (Associate Arts) degree in "Liberal Arts". What the heck do I do with that? Well I started off as a file clerk..graduated to being a "secretary"...which when fancied up became "administrative assistant" after which through a variety of flukes I ended up an Internal Auditor! GO FIGURE! It's funny peculiar the twists and turns our lives take with regard to the jobs we take. In high school math was NOT my cuppa tea. But in my job life it turned out to be the most fun thing I've ever done. It's like seeing a puzzle where something is off. You take it apart..examine each piece and then put it back together again as it should be done. That what auditing is or was for me. Something wasn't right and my job was to find out why and then fix it. But if you told my high school self I'd be an internal auditor I'd have laughed at you and said "NO WAY".  Did you end up doing what you prepared for or expected jobwise? Thank you for your reply Walt! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 20, 2021 2:59 AM MDT
      March 20, 2021 2:56 AM MDT

At the time, I was considering a future as a translator with the CIA (or some agency).  

By the time I got to community college, I was considering work in computers.
    But all I liked in it was math - not the circuitry stuff.

So after a number of years working various jobs, I decided to get an Associates in Accounting ... and here I am.
      March 22, 2021 2:19 PM MDT

Bean counter like me. I ended up an Internal Auditor and LOVED IT. There is something so PURE about numbers. They don't lie if you do the job right. So you did say that you are open to accepting all kinds of reality didn't you? Something else we have in common Walt.  What was considered to be absurdly ridiculous years ago is our reality today. Saying anything is IMPOSSIBLE brands one as being very narrow unimaginative and unaware of all of the impossibles we enjoy today that yesterday would have branded one crazy. Just because it is unknown how right now doesn't mean it is IMPOSSIBLE. Closing a door and locking it? Seriously limited. Thank you for your reply Walt. What DEUS EX MACHINA can you come up with to get rid of FOOTOO and his ilk? GOD OUT OF THE MACHINE. Wanna share how you would effect it if you were invincible immutable all powerful and all knowledgeable? :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 22, 2021 2:31 PM MDT
      March 22, 2021 2:29 PM MDT

I've shared my idea of dividing the nation, previously.

Give the right their own nation, the left their own, and another section for "chaos".  Not that it would really be chaos - but it would sway more than the other two, due to being made up of independents, greens, libertarians, and other "mixed up" political beliefs.  Or even a bunch of smaller jurisdictions, 1 for each of the "3rd party" believers.

Of course, the "chaos" would have to be in the middle, or the other two would be at constant war along their common border.
      March 22, 2021 2:54 PM MDT

Human beings are born live and die. The destination is the same for everyone. We are all in the same boat. I don't understand why we don't all row together. I never will. Just because we might disagree on things but they should be frivolous. Favorite music favorite author favorite food favorite color. Frivolous. We should be on the same page when it comes to honesty integrity TRUTH. We ought NOT have this bogus need to be "better than". Where the he** does THAT come from? "Better than"? Different from is fine. But "better than"? That is so needy and weak and pathetic in my opinion. Everyone everywhere is BETTER THAN others at SOMETHING. NO EXCEPTIONS. Where does anyone get off saying what they are "better in than" is any differently superior from  what others are "better in than"? Super seedy needy greedy WEAK. OK. I'm done. Thank you for your reply Walt. Insurrectioning against your government. Murdering fellow citizens. Sane people do not do that. In my opinion. :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 23, 2021 4:41 AM MDT
      March 23, 2021 4:25 AM MDT