Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Imagine you’re sitting in your car in a public parking lot, a driver pulls into the space next to you, and when exiting his/her car, flings

Imagine you’re sitting in your car in a public parking lot, a driver pulls into the space next to you, and when exiting his/her car, flings

the door wide open, which causes it to  bang into the side of your car, either at the door or anywhere along the body. The act is not intentional, it is more careless and neglectful. He/she, not seeing that you are sitting in your car, just closes the car door, goes on as if nothing has happened, barely glancing at your car, and begins to walk away. For the purposes of this hypothetical scenario, even though you have not yet seen it, the force of the door making contact with your car has caused minor damage in that there’s a visible dent and the paint is chipped. You do not know the person, the two of you are complete strangers to each other.  The person is still within one car length’s distance from you, at that point sees that you are in your car, makes eye contact with you for a split second, then immediately breaks the eye contact, turns his/her face away from you, and continues walking away.

At that very second, what do you think you might do?
~

Posted - March 22, 2021

Responses

I take pictures of the damage and document everything that happened, take down the license plate number then wait for the person to return. We exchange information, no problem.

Actually, I would have said something to her before she had a chance to walk away. 
      March 22, 2021 6:22 PM MDT

Make up your mind!

~

March 22, 2021 6:34 PM MDT

Ok, door #2, I pick that one. 
      March 22, 2021 6:38 PM MDT

Sucks to be that person.

March 22, 2021 7:51 PM MDT

Just last month Randy I was food shopping and getting into my car after my car door as I was getting in swung open more fully and scratched the paint on the car to the right of mine in which a couple was sitting. The woman sitting in the passenger's seat of that proceeded, without even looking at the scratch, to open her door with force so that it swing into my car door and dented it. Her husband got out and looked at the relative scratches and said everything was OK.  Perhaps for them it was simple a matter of who got the best of the other. 
      March 22, 2021 7:59 PM MDT

I would go after him or call to him if he was close enough. 

One time this happened to me but it was me the woman came after.  My little girls and I were already in Target.  This woman came huffing up to me saying my daughter caused a dent on her car.  I told her she had the wrong family.  I drove a two-door and both kids were in the back seat and exited on the driver side.  She said she was in her car and witnessed this.  I asked her what kind of car we were in.  She said we were in a Volvo.  I told the woman not to follow us nor say another word to us.  She threatened to call the cops and I said, please do.
      March 23, 2021 7:40 AM MDT