Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Charged with TEN COUNTS of FIRST DEGREE MURDER for the Colorado gunhole. Still we don't know WHY. Whatever WHY would matter?

Charged with TEN COUNTS of FIRST DEGREE MURDER for the Colorado gunhole. Still we don't know WHY. Whatever WHY would matter?

Posted - March 23, 2021

Responses

That was reported on the News over here.

I think it's rather unusual, isn't it, for the gun-man to have been arrested alive (though they said he was injured) rather than being shot, or shooting himself?

It's probably too early to know why he did it, but I expect, or at least hope, that will emerge at his trial.

It does matter, and it should matter that many such murderers die with their victims, because society won't be able to head off such attacks in future unless it has some idea from the murderers themselves, of their motives. No doubt they would have different reasons, but are there common threads to them? They are ghastly, unforgiveable crimes; but is something in common driving some of them? If so, what is it and what can be done about that, to at least lessen the risk of similar attacks?

'
    Only last week, Britain marked the 25th anniversary of its worst random mass-shooting, in the Scottish village of Dunblane. A  man walked into the Primary School and shot dead 11 or 12 pupils and an adult teaching-assistant. Another child died later in hospital. The killer shot himself before he could be at least overcome, so I doubt we'll never know his motive. 

That was one of about 4 random shootings in the UK over the last 40 years or so, but the other incidents were in the streets. This is not counting the several terrorist outrages and a number of murders by guns or more often, knives, among drug-gangs.
      March 23, 2021 7:11 PM MDT

i think all murderers are insane. i do. got a problem? get a gun and get rid of the problem. that's why sales of guns SOAR after every gun-related massacre. It's great for business. Everyone loves it except of course the victims and their families. Gun people have no sympathy or empathy obviously. We're stuck with loony tunes armed and just waiting to use them on "the enemy". Millions of them. How do we fight that? Thanks Durdle.
      March 24, 2021 3:40 AM MDT

Why is obvious. Too many guns in the hands of nutters.

The NRA is a terrorist organisation and should be recognised as such. The Second Amendment, as written, STARTS with "A well-regulated militia ..." That's the National Guard. If you're not a guardsman, the 2nd Amendment should not even apply to you but everybody forgets the very first phrase in the Amendment.
      March 23, 2021 7:15 PM MDT

once again you are logical/knowledgeable...dare I say "to a fault". Which has nothing to do with the gun crazies sadly. Nothing. Logic/knowledge never gets thru to them. So on we go to more massacres ahead! methinks it will never stop only accelerate. I sure hope i'm wrong. Thanks R. This post was edited by RosieG at March 24, 2021 11:28 AM MDT
      March 24, 2021 3:33 AM MDT

And Miltia means able bodied citizen. This meaning was clear from the beginning. 
    NRA does not sell arms. 
      March 24, 2021 7:22 AM MDT

You missed the part about WELL-REGULATED.  That does not mean a bunch of people running around with guns and the initial reason for it was because at that time, we did not have a standing armed force or a National Guard and owning a gun was for protection from the government, not for shooting your neighbors.  Stop trying to compare owning a gun to abortion.  A woman who chooses to have an abortion doesn't kill 10-15 other people.  There's no comparison.  
      March 24, 2021 11:32 AM MDT

Funny all the courts including the Supreme for the last 200+ yrs disagree with that.   

Yes is does say well-regulated.  This means when the militia is called up...they do not want or need to have to train them how to shoot etc.

"owning a gun was for protection from the government"

Exactly, we have the right to firearms because the government has arms. Read what the Founders wrote it is clear. Read some of the early cases...it is clear. 

I am not the one who brought up the NRA. The NRA does not kills NO ONE.  So they are certainly not a "terrorist group" (I also know you did not use the term but that was what I was replying too.)   PP kills many many Americans everyday, every year.  More than are killed by firearms---every year.  Roughly 8x as many people are killed by abortions every year than are shot (not neccessarily killed) by a firearm. 
      March 24, 2021 1:21 PM MDT

This was reported today:

Associated Press

Police: Witness alerted Atlanta store manager to armed man

Thu, March 25, 2021, 8:50 AM

"ATLANTA (AP) — A sharp-eyed Instacart worker is getting credit for averting what could have been another awful crime in Atlanta, where a man brought body armor, ammunition and at least five guns into a grocery store.

Charles Russell spotted the man inside a bathroom stall with one of the rifles and alerted a manager at the Publix store, urging him to call 911. Police then converged on the store and arrested the man without a shot being fired.

Rico Marley, 22, was scheduled for an initial court hearing Thursday on charges including weapons possession during an attempt to commit felonies. Investigators also said Marley was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation. It’s unclear whether he had an attorney."

Do you still think just anyone should own a gun?  If you, I really feel sorry for your.
      March 25, 2021 9:49 AM MDT

Where did I say "just anyone" should own a gun?  LAW ABIDING citizens should be allowed to own guns if the want.  

This Rico Marley has prior arrest for ASSAULT and Disorderly....he should not have been allowed to have a gun.  He is NOT a Law abiding citizen. 
      March 25, 2021 2:47 PM MDT

So, since he's not a law-abiding citizen, how did he buy that many guns?  Without more intense background checks, people who shouldn't own guns are still able to buy them.  
      March 25, 2021 2:58 PM MDT

1. Somone obviously did not do their job of inputting his information into the NCIC database. 
    Or
    2. like any other criminal he did not legally buy his guns. 

My personal bet is #2

Criminals do not buy their firearms legally.  Because they know they will not pass the background check.  

I do think the law should be added so that if a person fails the background test...that law enforcement is notified that they attempted to purchase a weapon. And the police/sheriff should be required to visit them and see why they tried to buy a gun/etc that they are not allowed to purchase.   That does not happen currently. This post was edited by my2cents at March 26, 2021 8:02 AM MDT
      March 25, 2021 5:26 PM MDT

Here you go:

"A Colorado gun store owner said Ahmad Al-Issa, the murder suspect in custody following the supermarket shooting in Boulder, Colo., passed a state background check before buying the weapon which he used to kill ten people.

Al-Issa, who was arraigned in court Thursday, purchased his AR-15 style weapon at the Eagles Nest Armory in his hometown of Arvada, a suburb of Denver. An arrest affidavit said that the purchase occurred on March 16 — six days before the shooting.

The gun store owner confirmed the affidavit in a statement, adding that the purchase was approved by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and that the store “will continue to fully cooperate with law enforcement as their investigation continues.”
    SO HE BOUGHT THE AR 15 LEGALLY.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/colorado-shooter-passed-background-check-153310998.html

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at March 26, 2021 1:13 PM MDT
      March 26, 2021 1:12 PM MDT

Yet another guy who was convicted in 2018 of assault.    Also a person who the FBI was already watching in relation to another person they are watching.    There are reports that he is tied to ISIS.  
    So another person who is NOT a law abiding citizen.  

If we passed the background check....they need to make sure the NCIC database is correct.  This is not the first time someone who should have failed passed.

Does not matter how many background checks you do it the database is not accurate. 
      March 26, 2021 3:06 PM MDT

I agree with you on this.
      March 26, 2021 4:02 PM MDT

Actually, according to federal law, the militia is NOT JUST the National Guard:

10 US Code 246:

(a)The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b)The classes of the militia are—
    (1)the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
    (2)the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

It's already illegal for anyone below the age of 18 to purchase a firearm.
    The government could try to remove firearm ownership from people over 44 ... but how many shootings are done by someone 45 or older?  So that really wouldn't do anything to resolve the problem.  (Forgetting for a moment, the logistics of attempting such a thing.)

btw - this federal definition of the militia is why women can't be drafted.  They aren't members of the militia.  Nor are the non-"able bodied".
    So the government could quickly remove firearms from all women and handicapped individuals.
    (actually, that's probably how the government gets allowed to forbid the sale of firearms to those adjudicated as mentally handicapped.)
    I can only imagine the uproar if the government attempted to ban women or disabled from owning firearms.
    How many soldiers/police, for example, injured in the line of duty would have to turn in their personal firearms?

March 24, 2021 2:08 PM MDT

Why don't we know? 

Has the media told you this is an:
    Trump hater
    A Muslim
    A migrant from Syria
    Possible ties to ISIS.

Why? Because that does not fit their narrative when it comes to shootings. 

This post was edited by my2cents at March 24, 2021 5:31 PM MDT
      March 24, 2021 5:05 PM MDT

There are lots of Trump haters out here in the real world, but they aren't necessarily going around shooting innocent people.  The media here reported that he emigrated from Syria at the age of 3 with his parents.  From that, I would think that he might be a Muslim.  He is a U.S. citizen
      March 26, 2021 4:06 PM MDT

Did I say he was not a citizen? 

He is an migrant from Syria.  He is a Muslim and he is reported to have ties to ISIS. 
      March 26, 2021 5:01 PM MDT

The easiest way to radicalize a kid is to make him feel unwelcome in his own country. He didn't remember Syria. Collected baseball cards. Was American as anybody else ... then along comes Trump and his army of besotted goons, tells this AMERICAN kid "You're not welcome here" and what's he to do? He's been made effectively stateless. ISIS recruiters specialize in turning that resentment into fundamentalism.
      March 27, 2021 12:44 AM MDT

He was out of school in 2018. 
    He is said to have been bullied at school. He was also a wrestler with a bad temper.  Attacked more than one student and cursed out a coach. Even threatened to kill the entire wrestling team after losing a match. 

We know his sibling say it is not politcal. That their brother has mental issues. 
    He may not remember Syria but he said he wanted to return there. He is reported to have links to ISIS.  The FBI does not watch people for nothing.   Sounds like they needed to be "watching" closer. 

March 27, 2021 5:34 AM MDT

His family were immigrants, not migrants.  A migrant is someone who moves temporarily to a new country while an immigrant is someone who will settle and stay permanently.  Sounds as though you're saying all immigrants from Syria are Muslims who have ties to ISIS.  
      March 27, 2021 7:36 AM MDT

Nope. Not saying...just this one in particular.
    Ok. He is an immigrant from Syria with mental issues and reported ties to ISIS who wants to go back to Syria. 

History of violence and mental issues...he should never have passed a NCIC check. 
      March 28, 2021 6:23 AM MDT

No, he should not have passed the test and if those weapons weren't being sold, he would have had a harder time getting one and those folks might still be alive.
      March 28, 2021 7:09 AM MDT