Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Weatherwise or otherwise what conditions do you fear most where you live? Which does the most damage/harm?

Weatherwise or otherwise what conditions do you fear most where you live? Which does the most damage/harm?

Posted - March 29, 2021

Responses

Weatherwise. Tornadoes, thunderstorms, and straight-line winds have and can reach up to 100 mph. I fear two things, God and a tornado. While driving down a road a few years ago I was hit by an F1 tornado. It lifted my truck off the ground and gave me a good ride for my money. That shook me pretty good

I saw my first F5 tornado in 1956 when I was eight years old. The sky turned a sickly yellow-green color, then I saw and heard it coming. It passed about a mile south of my house. It was a sound (yes, like a freight train) and sight I hope to never hear or see again. Below is a small article about this tornado outbreak.

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2016/04/tornado_outbreak_reliving_the.html
      March 29, 2021 7:03 AM MDT

You WHAT? You saw an F5 tornado and lived to tell about it? A mile isn't that far away tornado wise or so I've read. And being in your truck and LIFTED OFF THE GROUND? That must have been TERRIFYING! Did you hit hard with a thud? Did it damage your truck at all? How and where are tornados born? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply ru.
      March 29, 2021 7:29 AM MDT

You're welcome. We were quite fortunate that the F5 didn't veer a little further north because it would have wiped out our entire village had it done so. As it was, the thing bent the tree horizontally and dropped some healthy-sized hail on us.

The tornado that lifted my truck came out of nowhere. Did what it did then left as fast as it entered. No damage to my truck but it damaged my nerves for a few days. No, it didn't hit or drop me with a thud. It actually gently lifted me up and just as gently set me back down, facing in the same direction. The people that saw it happen were all pointing at me saying did you see the guy in the blue truck? It was definitely a day I'll always remember.

Tornadoes are formed when cold dry air and warm moist air collide. When they hit they begin to swirl. Sometimes not much will come of it. Other times severe thunderstorms will form and tornadoes will spawn. Some of which are real monsters. For example, the El Reno Oklahoma tornado was measured 2.6 miles wide and had winds of 301 mph.

We can have some nasty weather here because of Lake Michigan. While other times, the Lake will dissipate violent weather. Sometimes you never know what's going to happen. If you are interested, here's a website you can look at.

https://largest.org/nature/tornadoes/
      March 29, 2021 9:05 AM MDT

As you may have noticed I asked a question based on your experience. And your reply shocks me. The truck was lifted up gently AND PUT BACK DOWN ON THE GROUND GENTLY? I would never in a million years have guessed that. Do you get a lot of tornadoes in your area? Thank you for your reply ru and the link. I left Michigan when I was 3. All I really remember is summer rain which was warm and we'd go out into it in our bathing suits and play and snow in the winter. Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 30, 2021 9:26 PM MDT
      March 30, 2021 2:19 AM MDT

The weather here goes in cycles. One year we may have a mild Winter while the next could be blistering cold with a lot of snow. The same with violent weather in the Spring and summer. Some of the thunderstorms we get here would make your toenails curl.

We haven't had that many tornadoes for a few years now but that could change anytime. Lake Michigan affects our weather quite often. Sometimes for the good and other times for the bad. We have also had our share of blizzards here.

In 1967 a blizzard dumped almost three feet of snow. We had another blizzard in 1978 which also dumped almost three feet of snow. What made it even worse were the 50 to 80 mph winds which piled snowdrifts up to the roof of our house. That's what happens when you live in the country. :) You have a happy Wednesday.
      March 30, 2021 9:48 PM MDT

Thank you for your informative reply ru and Happy Wednesday to you and yours! :)
      March 31, 2021 9:54 AM MDT

You're welcome. I may have carried on a little too long in my comment but my excuse for that is I became a weather geek after the F5 incident. :) You have a happy Wednesday too.
      March 31, 2021 10:31 AM MDT

When you are describing your experiences you can never ever "carry on a little too long" for me. Just so's ya know. Thank you for your reply ru! :)
      April 1, 2021 2:51 AM MDT

Wildfires.  

I'd say a hurricane probably  causes the most damage (especially due to tidal surge and flooding).   While a tsunami can be very destructive, a hurricane can go much further inland.
      March 29, 2021 12:04 PM MDT

I think you had your fill of those and shot up way past your quota in 2020. Weeks and weeks of them. We had them down here and had some residual bad air but they were always far enough away to never be a threat. That's the price you pay for living in a beautiful green lush wonderland  "up north". I hope you NEVER have to experience that again Shuhak. Your lungs cannot stand it for one thing! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine. So far we've been very lucky. I have never had to evacuate due to fires. I see video coverage of fires raging toward homes and feel so bad for the people. Then you see the aftermath of destruction. It's just terrible!  :(
      March 30, 2021 2:23 AM MDT

I don't really fear the various types of weather related phenomena, I respect them and take precautions. We had a massive F4 roll through the city in 1965. It destroyed a part of the city so badly, President Johnson came here to observe the results. I was at the other end of town. 18 people were killed.
      March 29, 2021 1:19 PM MDT

You experienced an F4 in Toledo? Geez Louise that must have been a shocker! No tornadoes since then or just a lot smaller? Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      March 30, 2021 2:26 AM MDT

• The most common natural disasters where I live all come from thunderstorms.  Those are heavy rain, flash floods, mudflows, lightning strikes, high wind, hail and tornadoes.  The April 2012 tornado in Buenos Aires came close to my house.  The funnel went over my house, and it became a tornado when it touched the ground two kilometres away.  The limbs on the tree in front of my house were pointing up towards the sky, and the rain and hail were going back up into the sky.  At the same time, the television screen went blank, and there was message from the government for the tornado alert displayed on the screen along with an electronic voice reading it.  My roommates and I knew they were serious about it that time, so we went to the laundry room in the basement.  There were four tornadoes that killed 27 people from that storm.  The electricity at my house was out for two days.
      March 29, 2021 1:29 PM MDT

Even in Buenos Aires there are tornadoes? Maybe a better question to ask is where are there no tornadoes? I have a large world map on the wall above our desk and I see exactly where Bueno Aires is.  I do that when I meet someone from a far away "elsewhere". That way I visualize where the person is when I "look up" the city. World traveler! That's me even though its' "armchair". Are tornadoes rare or common in your city? Not since 2012 has there been one that was as threatening? Most homes in California don't have basements. We had a nifty one in Highland park, Michigan where I was born. I remember it vividly. Thank you for your reply sirena and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 30, 2021 11:09 AM MDT
      March 30, 2021 2:48 AM MDT

• Tornadoes are common in Buenos Aires, which is in the Pasillo de los Tornados.  It is the South American Tornado Alley.  The Tornado Alley in the United States has the most tornadoes in the world.  Pasillo de los Tornados has the second most tornadoes in the world.  A tornado outside of the Pampas in Argentina would be unusual.  They're not likely in the Andes or in most of Patagonia.

The worst tornado in Argentina was in San Justo, Santa Fe in 1973.  The storm had a rating of F5.  It tore the grass out of the ground in its path.  It destroyed most of the city, including concrete factory buildings.  When it passed over a small lake, it drained the lake.  It also tore the engine out of a car and embedded it into a concrete wall.

The worst tornado outbreak in Argentina was the April 1993 storm, which produced more than 300 tornadoes in Buenos Aires Province.
      March 30, 2021 11:35 AM MDT

Sounds like a gory horror movie sirena. I mean the result of what the F5 could do would definitely be most horrible. I shudder at what those who are experienced with them have have to endure. Well we have earthquakes in California. The last BIG ONE was a very long time ago. The next BIG ONE has been overdue for years. We keep being told THE BIG ONE could hit at any time. Well if it's THAT BIG there is no protection against it. So we just on truckin' as it were! Thank you for your informative reply and Happy Wednesay to thee and thine! :)
      March 31, 2021 9:58 AM MDT

Well, Hurricane Sandy being the exception, we don't get many tornados or big storms in New York City.  We've had some Nor'easters that have done local damage and a couple of microbursts that took out thousands of trees, but for the most part, we're in a fairly stable weather environment.
      March 29, 2021 3:35 PM MDT

When I lived in Massachusetts for five years we got some Nor'easters that were doozies. The autumns were dazzlingly beautiful. That state has bona fide seasons! New York does too. California? Not so much though we do "play at it". Thank you for your reply L and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      March 30, 2021 2:51 AM MDT

Our seasons are getting more muddled by the decade.  Two weeks ago, the temp was 81 and it's still March.  We barely have a Spring - it seems to go from very cool to very warm.  This week, we're in the 50s.  Happy Tuesday. :)
      March 30, 2021 6:47 AM MDT

Here it will be in the 80's all week..one day will be 89...and then next Tuesday it will be 68! WEIRD! Thank you for your reply L!:) This post was edited by RosieG at March 30, 2021 7:40 AM MDT
      March 30, 2021 7:23 AM MDT

Wildfires, and the dry winds which drive them. Our family was evacuated in '77, eight-year-old me could see the flames on the opposite ridge. Terrifying stuff. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at March 30, 2021 3:18 PM MDT
      March 30, 2021 2:31 AM MDT

Yep. Last year Australia had more than its share of terrible destructive wildfires that just kept raging and raging and raging. Like California and I expect other areas too. Some natural disasters you can clean up after. The destruction isn't total. A mudslide is messy but cleanuppable usually. Floods? Well stuff is definitely damaged but unless you live in New Orleans and the ocean is the flooder that's survivable too. Even earthquakes unless they are huge. But fires? Total destruction. Thank you for your reply R and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :) Ash won her match. She was her usual self in the first set, disappeared in the second set and came back to win the third set. Good to see her play. :)
      March 30, 2021 2:57 AM MDT

Her idol and mentor, Evonne Goolagong, had a habit of doing that. The press called it "going walkabout", she'd lose concentration and her game would go to pieces. Most times she'd get her head back into the game after dropping a set.
      March 30, 2021 3:17 PM MDT

I remember Evonne. That's a pretty great idol to have!. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine!
      April 1, 2021 2:38 AM MDT