Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We parents worry about our children from the day they are born to the day we die. How many of you worry about the color of their skin?

We parents worry about our children from the day they are born to the day we die. How many of you worry about the color of their skin?

Isn't that a most absurd evil vile insane thing? An added layer of worry because of packaging?

Wrapping?

Can any of you make any sense of it?

Posted - March 29, 2021

Responses

I don't worry about the color of anyone's skin. To me, everyone is the same. :)
      March 29, 2021 12:55 PM MDT

You may not but racists and bigots do. Are you a parent ru? Imagine having to "have the talk" with your son about how to survive "out there" simply because you are African American? Maybe there is a daughter version of "the talk". I don't know but I expect there is. An added layer of worry that is not imaginary but a 24/7 reality everywhere? I don't get it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 30, 2021 3:21 AM MDT

Yes, I am a parent. My daughter and I have had "the talk" as well as many other talks. She is very aware of what's happening in the racism area of conversation. And she's also very aware of the other situations that this country and the world as a whole are facing. My daughter fights against injustices, probably with more passion than I do. I am very proud of her. :)
      March 30, 2021 6:54 AM MDT

You have good reason to ru. Well my son is 56 so it was many decades ago and I never had a thought at all of a need to have "THE TALK". In those days the police were seen as being there to protect us and if you were having problems you'd just find one to help you if you could. Now that seems so very naive. It wasn't then. Thank you for your reply. Times have changed very bigly and I do not believe it is "for the better". :(
      March 30, 2021 7:14 AM MDT

Although all but one sister is married to someone of the same religion, all of the others and their adult children have married outside of their religion.  We are all Caucasian, so there is no cause for worry on that score.
      March 29, 2021 3:27 PM MDT

Skin color is such a specious shoddy absurd reason to dislike despise defame denigrate. Why despise the blue eyed or redhead?

Bright whites get TAN. The  bright white dames curl their hair, get Botox lips, butt implants to be more curvacious. All the things some of  our sisters have from birth. The bright whites don't seem to notice the irony of that. I can't get over it. Of course such homo saps don't have a clue about anything much less have the wit to grasp irony. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 30, 2021 2:06 AM MDT

I'm not sure it's just the skin color, but the baggage they consider comes along with it.  Frankly, I don't understand why someone who is perfectly good-looking needs to have all that work done.  We all grow old - try to do it gracefully.
      March 30, 2021 6:49 AM MDT

Me too neither. I do think it is a GODSEND to repair damage done by a car crash or even at birth. But a tiny nose on an otherwise strong face looks ridiculous in my opinion. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 30, 2021 6:54 AM MDT

I should have said unless it was to correct something you are born with that isn't right or the result of an accident.  Not only a tiny nose on a strong face, but a nose that tilts up so that when you look at someone directly, you can see up their nostrils.
      March 30, 2021 6:56 AM MDT

I've seen more than one of those. What they do is lose any individuality. Imagine Barbra Streisand with a pug nose? OMG! The gal who starred in Dirty Dancing had a nose job after the movie and said she regretted it. She looked in the mirror and did not recognize the image looking back. Jennifer Gray, Joel Gray's daughter. She went from having a distinctive individuality to being just another pretty girl of which there are a bazillion. Or Sofia Loren with a tiny nose? Some folks have a lousy self-image. I don't know why. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 30, 2021 7:11 AM MDT

I think a lot of advertising showing "beautiful" and models gives girls a skewed vision of what they are supposed to look like.  Some girls think they don't measure up and go through their teens thinking they're ugly when they really are not.  I used to hate that I had a round face, something not correctable with surgery, when I was younger, but we have faces that don't show out age as much.  No one ever thinks I'm 75. :)
      March 30, 2021 7:50 AM MDT

Exactly! I don't remember being unhappy with me in that regard. I admired beauty and I was never that but I held my own and had my share of admirers. I was never conscious of wanting to be a showstopper or the prettiest girl in the room. I don't know what jealousy or envy is like personally since I have never experienced it. Many women live with that their entire lives and I just can't relate to them. At 83 i'm told I don't look my age Well no wrinkles on this face but saggy for sure. You cannot beat gravity for pulling everything down...you know exactly what I mean. My younger sis has wrinkles but she was a long-time smoker which does a real number on faces. I never smoked so having no wrinkles is a long-term benefit. Thank you for your reply L. I always thought Elizabeth Taylor was the most beautiful person I'd ever seen! I never wanted to look like her though. :) Which brings up a question I shall ask. Are you happy being you? :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 3, 2021 4:32 AM MDT
      April 2, 2021 3:51 AM MDT

I know where you're coming from and I feel the same way.  Yes, I'm happy with who I am although I could stand to take off a bit of weight.  I have very few wrinkles on my face, even though I was a smoker.  What I didn't do was sit in the sun for hours at a time.  

One of the women I think is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous is Angie Harmon.  They are re-running Rizzoli & Isles, the series she was in and every time I look at her I am amazed at her beauty.

April 2, 2021 9:47 AM MDT

I agree. Frist time I saw her was on LAW & ORDER. I saw her interviewed on a show once and was very impressed. Thank you for your reply L. :)
      April 3, 2021 4:36 AM MDT

I kinda worry about my granddaughters' LACK of melanin. Redheads. They can get sunburned at NIGHT (slight exaggeration). Skin cancer is a major issue down here.
      March 30, 2021 2:36 AM MDT

I've noticed that about redheds. They're usually drop dead gorgeous but have porcelain skin and I wonder how often it is they get in trouble for it? Do they slather on the protection they should say SPF 100 all the time or do they just stay out of the sun and wear broadbrimmed hats? I'm sure being your granddaughter she has great deal of common sense and maybe there are special skin care products for redheads. Thank you for your reply R! :)
      March 30, 2021 6:57 AM MDT

They are aged almost three, and eighteen months. The development of common sense is, as yet, not particularly noticeable. When visiting Nanna and Grumpy, they stay out of the sun between 10am and 3pm. I'm certain that the same applies when they're at home.
      March 30, 2021 3:11 PM MDT

They do get lotion applied to their skin too though right? Oh you know Ash is in the Miami finals against Amerscue. Ought to be a good match. Thank you for your reply R! :)
      April 2, 2021 3:53 AM MDT