Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you already have a plan in place for what happens to all your online accounts when you die?

Do you already have a plan in place for what happens to all your online accounts when you die?

For instance, will someone have access to your user ID and password for those accounts wherein you only interact with people there and will inform others of your passing; will you have someone close certain accounts altogether so that there’s no expectation of your return for those who don’t know you’ve passed away; will certain financially-related accounts need a live person to contact the institution or agency to inform them you’re no longer alive, etc?

AnswerMug is one source where I do not maintain contact with any of you outside of these pages, nor does anyone who knows me have my log-on information.  If I were to keel dead over ten minutes from now, . . . 

~

Posted - April 1, 2021

Responses

I have everything written down on index cards, but my wife doesn't know how to even turn my computer on and doesn't want to know. I will show my daughter. I don't really have many online accounts, though, so it doesn't really matter that much. Heck, I'll be dead and won't care. 
      April 1, 2021 8:55 AM MDT

I shall share my credentials to You before I go! What say?
      April 1, 2021 12:02 PM MDT

Surely not with me personally! That’s far too much responsibility for me to undertake!  It should be a trusted family member, intimate friend, or close acquaintance.
    ~
      April 1, 2021 12:10 PM MDT

I thought I was kidding!
      April 1, 2021 12:41 PM MDT

April 1, 2021 1:38 PM MDT

I was thinking about that not too long ago.  No, I haven't given anyone my passwords to my accounts of any kind.  My boss does have my password for the office account, which was a good thing when I forgot it and didn't have it written down anywhere else.  I emailed him from my personal email and he gave it to me.  Said he would never have guessed it.
      April 1, 2021 12:04 PM MDT

Facebook actually has a setting that you can allow another member to take over your account, in the even of your death.
    I have set my brother as my "Facebook Executor".  lol

I also have a notebook with all my internet sites, username, and password.
    It will be given to my Executor, to close all my online accounts.
      April 1, 2021 1:45 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply.
    (((I will need to take an advance look at all of your log-on information, just to make sure everything is in order. I promise not to make any copies of it, and I will not drain your finances. Cough, cough.))))

~

April 1, 2021 3:36 PM MDT

If I'm dead, I care why?
      April 1, 2021 5:16 PM MDT

Facebook gives you the option of designating someone to handle  your page after you pass.  I have made that designation, since I don't know the date of my departure.  
      April 1, 2021 6:42 PM MDT

Thank you. I’m referring to more than just one particular website or account. 
    ~

April 1, 2021 8:44 PM MDT

I have no others. 
      April 2, 2021 2:05 AM MDT

AnswerMug is an account, and so is email.
    ~
      April 2, 2021 7:17 AM MDT

Is there a place on answermug to designate someone?  My email already has someone. 
      April 2, 2021 8:55 AM MDT

I doubt AnswerMug has something like that set up. You would have to make those arrangements on your own.
     ~

April 2, 2021 12:48 PM MDT

Ok thanks
      April 2, 2021 1:02 PM MDT

No, but I will leave written information for things like financial matters, club memberships, disposal of my belongings etc.

Obviously none of can know when the Grim Reaper will come a-callin', later rather than earlier one hopes; but I hope to be able to close what few Internet accounts I have, by then.

I don't use Facebook, so that's one less problem.

April 5, 2021 5:15 PM MDT