Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you PRO or CON with regard to cancelling student debt?

Are you PRO or CON with regard to cancelling student debt?

For many decades student debt has been crushing BUT it was always voluntary. No one FORCED students to take on debt. They chose to do so to further their education.

So now some of them through the luck of when they were born will have their debt removed?

I dunno. How is that FAIR? How is that JUST?

Will all those who have enormous loans they have been paying off for decades have the remaining debt erased as well? How will that work?

It's the same thing as declaring bankruptcy and stiffing the people to whom you owe money. You CHOSE to take on the debt and got in over your head. So someone gets stiffed and you move on.

I dunno. Needs more thinking to figure out what is JUST what is FAIR what is RIGHT. For me personally. For you?

Posted - April 3, 2021

Responses

The state should invest in students especially the less well off, not saddle them with debt in the first place. Many will go on to be higher earners and repay the money in taxes. That's how it worked for me.

Now that the students have been landed with it, there's no fair way out of the situation. For many it's just not worth it. 

April 3, 2021 6:13 AM MDT

"....should invest in students especially the less well off...." Long ago they did. Recently education has been derided and ignored. I mean tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy to the tune of $1.9 TRILLION was the real investment that was essential. So now the piper plays a different tune. I like fair. I don't like taking cuts ahead of others or having debt cancelled that others had to pay or being treated as SPECIAL when I am not SPECIAL at all. I like fair. Where do you find it today? Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      April 3, 2021 6:22 AM MDT

Majorly pro. I still owe thousands.
      April 3, 2021 4:24 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply. Well cancelling debt you incurred willingly would be swell as he**. Cancel what you owe on your mortgage too. Cancel your car payment debt. All the folks who took on debt and PAID IT OFF are suckers then? I dunno. Not my cuppa tea.
      April 4, 2021 2:58 AM MDT

Sorry you feel that way. I have been paying it off for 27 years. Gimme a break. And I would never ask for forgiveness on a loan for something tangible.
      April 4, 2021 8:19 AM MDT

27 years? Well as I think I told you my advanced university degree does not exist. I attended Pasadena City College for two years and have an Associates Arts degree in...what else...LIBERAL ARTS. Went to night school after that but no degrees for me so no need to borrow money. I didn't know other than a home mortage that a loan could be paid off taking so long. My son took some out for his Master's and Ph.D but I don't know the details. I funded the basic 4-year undergraduate part at Cal-Berkeley. My job as his mom. He didn't even ask for help when he decided to go on for the advanced degrees. He got his Master at the University of Hawaii in Honolulu. His Ph.d at UCLA. He has been teaching at the University of Hawaii since 2007. I did help when he and his first wife bought their house in Castro Valley, California and in other ways from time to time. On a TV show a character who became a lawyer says his student loans were $300,000! That is staggering to me. None of my business how large your loans were but 27 years later? Yikes. Thank you for the info. :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 5, 2021 8:59 AM MDT
      April 5, 2021 6:44 AM MDT

When I was a high school teen, we had little to look forward to. There were no scholarships unless you were a jock. You had to know somebody in a factory to find work there. Nobody told me about the military academies, or I would have gone to one of them. I was very qualified and had a one-up since my father was a disabled WWII vet. With few opportunities, I joined the Navy; I had no desire to get shot in Vietnam. When I decided to go to college, I had to take loans.
      April 5, 2021 9:05 AM MDT

Knowing the BACKSTORY always helps to understand so thank you for that. I appreciate it very bigly E! :) NOW I understand where you are coming from and WHY. Helps a lot.
      April 6, 2021 5:59 AM MDT