Active Now

Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I think "in general stereotypically" men have a better sense of direction than women. I know I SUCK at it. Is it GENDER SPECIFIC?I

I think "in general stereotypically" men have a better sense of direction than women. I know I SUCK at it. Is it GENDER SPECIFIC?I

Posted - April 3, 2021

Responses

It’s true; men do have a better sense of direction than women do.  that s probably because women and men usually have different navigational strategies.  Men use cardinal directions (north, south, east, and west) during navigation to a greater degree.  Men usually go in the general direction where their destination is located.  Women usually orient themselves along a route to get there (for example, 'go past the hairdresser and then up the street and turn right after the store').  Studies have shown that using cardinal directions is more strategically efficient because it’s more flexible.  The destination can be reached faster because the strategy depends less on where you start.

April 3, 2021 2:26 PM MDT

Perhaps it is. But women are born knowing how to fold clothing, so that makes us even.
      April 3, 2021 4:13 PM MDT

Born knowing how? Not taught? Really? No learning by observation then? Born brilliant all-knowing? Saves a lot of time. Think how many hours a woman spends in her life folding clothes. A noble thing..that.
      April 4, 2021 3:02 AM MDT

I agree.
      April 4, 2021 8:16 AM MDT

Neato beato.
      April 5, 2021 6:51 AM MDT

In the case of my husband, he can glance at a map briefly and then go straight to his destination without ever getting lost.  If someone gives him written directions, he’ll get lost about half the time.  If someone gives him verbal directions, he’ll get lost almost all of the time.
      April 5, 2021 7:06 AM MDT

An anomaly! Receiving directions works oppositely with your husband. Doing it on his own all alone works best for him! Lucky you! Thank you for sharing that with us Livvie. I would never in a million years guess that could actually happen. With me massive directions and a map where the route is outlined HELPS. Even then I can get lost. But no directions at all and just me looking at a map? OM goodness! That is very scary! Happy Monday to thee and thine m'dear! :)
      April 6, 2021 6:03 AM MDT