Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever wonder how many so-called "christians" are sexual perverts who bed down children? Can you bed a 17 year old and still pray to GOD?

Ever wonder how many so-called "christians" are sexual perverts who bed down children? Can you bed a 17 year old and still pray to GOD?

Posted - April 5, 2021

Responses

Girls typically married at that age as recently as the interwar period.
    Age can often be just a number. 14-year-old Mandy Smith was absolutely NOT a child when she started cohabiting with Rolling Stone Bill Wyman. Aretha Franklin was a mother at 12.
    Paedophilia is sexual attraction to children who have not reached sexual maturity. Hebephilia is sexusl attraction to pubescent minors (those undergoing puberty), ephebophilia is sexual attraction to young people who are sexually mature but still technically minors. All are crimes, the last is not a perversion but still predatory behaviour unless experienced by another young adult. Four years or less age gap isn't even a peccadillo imo. My son and his ex started getting physical when he was 19 and she was 17 - and more grown up than he was.
      April 5, 2021 7:44 AM MDT

The marriage lasted only a couple of years with Bill Wyman didn't it? he said he regrets it, she was too young...  I found this, from her... 

Mandy Smith was 14 when she embarked upon a sexual relationship with Rolling Stone Bill Wyman.

Shockingly - criminally - young, she concedes today.

No sane person would advocate that the age of 14 is old enough to be having sex with anyone, let alone a man 34 years your senior, but what age does she think is acceptable, I wonder? 15? 16? 21?

The vehemence of her response surprises me: 'It's not about being physically mature. It's emotional maturity that matters.

'I don't think most 16-year-olds are ready. I think the age of consent should be raised to 18 at a minimum, and some girls aren't even ready then.'

She gives an apologetic little laugh. 'I know, I know. People will find that odd, coming from me.

But I think I do know what I'm talking about here. You are still a child, even at 16.

'You can never get that part of your life, your childhood, back. I never could.'

The thing is.. we have to be quite careful about buying into that as evidence shows that even though the child might believe they are grown up and ready, the fact remains they are a child so really aren't able to make that decision on a fully informed basis.. The damage often occurs and isnt realised until later..  

We do see increased rates of mental illness in women who were married too young... and we also see them not being able to continue their education, which tends to leave them reliant on men to support them, which leave them less able to be independent..  but even without that.. a 13 year old kid should be laughing and exploring the world as a teen, with their teen friends. learning .. I think Mandy had things that some may envy .. but she didn't have the freedom to do all the things every other 13 year old did..  She definitely seems to think she was damaged by it.. and it's quite telling she is alone now and has turned religious... 

Young mothers as I said below.. it happens but it is something to be avoided.. there's too much potential for damage to the child and mother, not least again because the mother often drops out of education, leaving them less able to support the child properly. 
    As parents we wouldn't let a 13 year old make all their own decisions, they'd drop out of school most of them, or lie in bed and do nothing. 

April 5, 2021 3:36 PM MDT

:):):)
      April 6, 2021 6:14 AM MDT

Paying for sex and taking the sexmate across state lines to bed them at 17 is not okay by me. I realize that age is just a number. In the old country girls marry very young according to the culture. In America I believe the legal age of consent is 18. I'm sure somewhere down south in the hills of wherever 12 years have sex and "get married". Your apologia is extensive R which means you must support it agree with it and sanction it. Which is your right. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine. Which is something I shall ask about. So thanks for the idea.
      April 6, 2021 2:47 AM MDT

I abhor paedophilia and hebephilia. Ephebophilia is a grey area - consent is 16 in many places, including most of Australia. My home state of South Australia complicates it, by imposing a 1 year age gap limit on 16/17 year olds - which made my son technically a criminal as he is 19 months older than the mother of his children. The eldest, Zachary, was born when Tim was 23 and Jess 21, but they'd been active for four years by then (and living together for two ).
    Personally I don't have a problem with 16/17 being with a partner under 25. 18 can be with anybody (the drinking age is also 18 in Oz and that makes sense - if you can legally enlist to be shot at, you should be able to have a beer to celebrate surviving it).
      April 6, 2021 4:19 PM MDT

Men and women look at it differently I expect. Cultures vary all over the world. In the "old country" child brides were not unusual. And how do you establish any "age of consent" when people mature at different rates? I know a gal whose 15-year-old son fathered a child. Not her plan of course but well what can you do? It's hard to set a standard for people when they are so variable. I'll ask. Thank you for your reply R! :)
      April 9, 2021 4:40 AM MDT

I abhor abuse and manipulation of children sexually.. I would try to be devil's advocate on this though and say that here 17 is legal.. I would say too that it's perhaps not anything to do with God as such that there are a lot of abusers in the church.. we know that people who want to abuse and take advantage of kids navigate to any job that brings them into contact with their prey... kids...  so you see loads of them in schools, football clubs, gym coaches, etc.. I am not convinced being Christian makes one more likely to abuse kids. 

Catholicism might increase the chances.. as they are celibate.. a tall order.. and as we know.. they often fail :( 

I do believe that large age gaps are more likely to be a problem.. the more worldly wise and greater experience of life make it way more possible for there to be manipulation or coercion - that's all the more so if one is a kid. I am afraid I don't buy the acceptance of 14 year olds living with an adult in an adult relationship.. we do know that a lot of damage does occur when child brides are married to much older men and a lot of those relationships are based on massive power imbalance where one, the younger female is coerced and unhappy.. and we do know that while some children can and do give birth, this IS associated with poorer outcomes for both the mother and the child, not least lower birth weight and damage to the mother. 
      April 5, 2021 3:11 PM MDT

Hi there addb. Nice to see you. Hope you and yours are A OK. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I've a question based on a previous answer a Mugger gave with respect to "legal" age which I shall ask. Happy Monday to thee and thine! STAY SAFE! :)
      April 6, 2021 2:49 AM MDT

Personally, I do not like it. And if a 30 yr old was trying to date my 17 yr old daughter/granddaughters I would not be happy. But truly nothing I could do about it. Voice my opinion...but even that you have to be careful. It can make them stay longer to prove you wrong.

But at some point people have to take responsibility for their choices and actions. 

Age of consent varies from state to state from 16-18.

Do we change the age of consent to 21...the legal drinking age? 

Or do we pass age difference laws? No one more than 10, 15, 20 yrs apart?
      April 6, 2021 6:58 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply  m2c! :)
      April 9, 2021 4:41 AM MDT