Natasha Saphique
Element 99
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why can’t some of the same liberal multibillionaires who bought votes for the 2020 presidential election help people get identification if

Why can’t some of the same liberal multibillionaires who bought votes for the 2020 presidential election help people get identification if

that’s truly what’s preventing some of them from voting?

Valid, unexpired government-issued identification would also help them in many other areas of their lives beyond registering to vote and voting, it would also help them year-round, not just when they’re needed as pawns in election cycles. It’s probable that having identification that doesn’t expire in one, two, three or however many years their jurisdiction issues them for, will open numerous doors for people in need. Such a benefit can hardly have any negative connotations at all.

Multiple multimillionaires and multibillionaires loudly and proudly touted how they provided registration drives, voter education sessions, transportation to polls, and other extremely helpful methods in order to ensure that people would make it to the polls in several local, state and federal elections in 2020.  Additionally, some of them paid for bail, bond, parole, probation, appeals, fines, fees, etc. along with legislation and changes of regulations that prevented convicted people from voting. So if it is true that certain minorities simply can’t vote because they lack proper identification, have the purse strings slammed shut now that elections are over?

Posted - April 6

• 14382
    If if if if.  IF people aren't voting it isn't because they can't manage to get an ID.   The same wheels that take them to get food will take them to get an ID.  Can  you tell I'm exhausted from this years old stupid conversation. 
      April 7, 2021 1:47 PM MDT
    3

• 42221

About 10 years ago, I challenged someone who claimed that getting government-issued identification was impossible by asking him how much beer and alcohol he was able to buy in a year’s time. “Well, that’s completely different,” was his lame reply.
    —-

April 7, 2021 5:50 PM MDT
    3

• 14382
    Sadly, I have no problem believing you.  The whole argument is just used to pass legislation that is ridiculous. 
      April 7, 2021 9:18 PM MDT
    2

• 8987
    It's actually rather mystifying how anyone can go through life without a driver's license or state ID.
      April 7, 2021 10:03 PM MDT
    3

• 4107
    I'm not opposed to requiring ID for in-person voting, but I think there are some conditions that should be met first:

The ID should be free. There should not be a cost of entry to voting, that's essentially a poll tax. An expired ID should not prevent voters from voting, it’s not like one’s identity typically changes much. New IDs should automatically be issued upon moving, a name change, and expiration. IDs should be easily obtainable (or at least able to be ordered and mailed to one's home) at city hall or something, programs can come to high schools to sign people up (they do so for voter registration, should be the same with ID). It's weird that in America an "ID" is the same as a license to drive. Not everyone drives. We should have ID issued to everyone regardless of whether they drive. If someone doesn't have an ID, they should be able to present something else like a utility bill or a credit card statement or passport or something along those lines. This post was edited by Nevan B at April 8, 2021 1:31 PM MDT
      April 8, 2021 11:26 AM MDT
    1

• 42221

When you state, “the ID should be free”, I’m not sure if you’re referring to what I proposed in that the rich benefactors assist people in obtaining identification, or if you mean that all government-issued identification in general should be free, or if you mean that specifically for the purpose of voting, identification should be made free. I see a viable path to ensuring that people get identification being paid for by those millionaires and billionaires I mentioned, and unless someone can point it out to me, I don’t see any negative side to it.

As for your point about identification is generally considered to be a drivers license, keep in mind that you and I are in California, a state very much attached to its car culture. There are other places in the US, where a drivers license is not the preeminent form of identification, such as places where fewer people drive and/or own vehicles. Even in California, the push for children to get government-issued identification was a big push when my children were just entering elementary schools over twenty years ago along with the responses to the high-profile crimes that were being committed against children. Programs were being introduced to fingerprint children so that if they were ever kidnapped and whisked off for years or decades, the fingerprint trail offered another avenue for solving cases. Part of those programs also had DMV issuing identification cards for the children with pictures and biographical information, the exact same identification that has always been available to adults who do not drive or cannot drive (for whatever myriad of reasons).  Other places beyond California, those with or without car cultures, offer ways for people to acquire identification that is not a drivers license. 

While you won’t get an argument from me about your statement that “We should have ID issued to everyone regardless of whether they drive.”  However, there are some people who tout privacy issues, enforced government meddling, anarchist views, even those who are using aliases for nefario reasons, some resist that idea. I’m not saying they are right or wrong, I’m not saying you are right or wrong. 

~

April 8, 2021 1:09 PM MDT
    1

• 1857
    Over here one must have a Govt issued ID to do anything,  It is really no big deal.  Randy I am with you as to being mystified
      April 8, 2021 12:39 PM MDT
    1