Discussion » Questions » Environment » Can you imagine Starbucks endorsing new plastic waste on the planet?

Can you imagine Starbucks endorsing new plastic waste on the planet?

PLASTIC!

Starbucks' experimental new cup costs extra, but it's worth it

By Alexis Benveniste, CNN Business

Updated 4:10 PM ET, Tue April 6, 2021

5 ways to cut your plastic waste

New York (CNN Business)Starbucks is launching an experimental "borrow a cup" program at select locations in its hometown, Seattle.

The program is part of Starbucks' aim to make its cups more sustainable, and it will kick off as a two-month trial in five Seattle stores. Customers at those stores will have an option to receive their drinks in a cup they can use again.
Here's how it works: Customers will order their drinks in a reusable cup and pay a $1 refundable deposit. When the customer is done with their drink, they return the cup and receive a $1 credit as their refund plus 10 Bonus Stars for their Starbucks (SBUX) Rewards account.

If customers take the cup home, they can also take advantage of Starbucks' partnership with Ridwell, a company that will pick up the reusable cups from your home. Each cup is then cleaned and sanitized and put back into the rotation for another customer to use.

Posted - April 7

• 25818
    Glass would be better.  But I know many who would just consider it a new cup for $1.00. 

They should make it a refundable deposit...not a credit on another sale. 
      April 7, 2021 5:54 AM MDT
    0

• 42366

According to what it says in the description field, it is a refundable deposit. 
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at April 7, 2021 1:03 PM MDT
      April 7, 2021 6:01 AM MDT
    1

• 25818
     "When the customer is done with their drink, they return the cup and receive a $1 credit as their refund" this is not a cash refund. 
      April 7, 2021 6:22 AM MDT
    0

• 42366

(Sigh)

”Here's how it works: Customers will order their drinks in a reusable cup and pay a $1 refundable deposit.“

April 7, 2021 7:02 AM MDT
    1

• 17011
    Valium anyone?
      April 7, 2021 1:03 PM MDT
    3

• 42366

And yet, I muddle on, don’t I?

:|

April 7, 2021 5:27 PM MDT
    3

• 17011
    You aren't alone.  I've found myself in the same situation.
      April 8, 2021 6:34 AM MDT
    1

• 42366

I’ve seen those exchanges.
    ~

April 8, 2021 7:42 AM MDT
    1

• 25818
    Keep reading...."....When the customer is done with their drink, they return the cup and receive a $1 credit as their refund..." 
    A credit is NOT a cash refund.

credit ≠  cash 
      April 7, 2021 2:07 PM MDT
    0

• 42366

Just as some of the simplest concepts have to be pointed out to you not only in reiterating your own written words verbatim, but also in that which you so strongly argue against. It is not in question what the passage states on further reading. What IS in question very clearly and quite glaringly is your assertion that paying a refundable deposit should be part of the program, even though paying a refundable deposit is emblazoned in black and white in the part of the passage that I quoted. I merely responded to you that the feature you supposedly found lacking or the supposedly lacking feature that you could not find had already been included. 

(Sigh)

Here's how it works: Customers will order their drinks in a reusable cup and pay a $1 refundable deposit.

April 7, 2021 5:46 PM MDT
    0

• 25818
    It is the next sentence....yes your $1 is refunded....in the form of a CREDIT.  

"Customers will order their drinks in a reusable cup and pay a $1 refundable deposit. When the customer is done with their drink, they return the cup and receive a $1 credit as their refund plus 10 Bonus Stars for their Starbucks (SBUX) Rewards account."

I do not see why this is hard to understand.  

April 7, 2021 6:47 PM MDT
    0

• 42366
    You’re right; it’s not that hard to understand that you assume it doesn’t say something that it does say. 
      April 7, 2021 7:01 PM MDT
    0

• 25818
    Return the cup get a refund in the form of a credit....

It says it plain and simple.  
      April 7, 2021 7:50 PM MDT
    0

• 42366

”Here's how it works: Customers will order their drinks in a reusable cup and pay a $1 refundable deposit.“

You truly don’t think that you’re the only one who can just keep going on and on, do you?

April 7, 2021 8:13 PM MDT
    0

• 25818
    No.  Here is how to works. 

1. You buy coffee/beverage. 
    2. You pay extra $1 for real cup. That can be reused. 
    3. You return the cup for your "refund"
    4. They give you a CREDIT of $1 and 10 bonus Stars for their loyalty program. 

Just as it says in the article posted in the OP. 

April 7, 2021 8:26 PM MDT
    0

• 42366

You have just shown that you might be completely unfamiliar with the purpose for using quotation marks. The opening words “Here‘s how it works” are not my words, nor are they my way of expressing to you my own thoughts or my own opinions, I am merely quoting exactly what the original author wrote. Attempting to explain to me how it works, especially as a rebuttal to what you apparently assume is my having tried to explain to you how it works, misses the point entirely. 

Your turn. 

April 7, 2021 9:40 PM MDT
    0

• 25818
    I geuss you missed the quotes I used above.
    But I will post it again with the quotes.

"Here's how it works: Customers will order their drinks in a reusable cup and pay a $1 refundable deposit. When the customer is done with their drink, they return the cup and receive a $1 credit as their refund plus 10 Bonus Stars for their Starbucks (SBUX) Rewards account."

As I said:
    1. You buy coffee/beverage. 
    (1 and 2 are sentence 1 in the quotes above) 

3. You return the cup for your "refund"
    4. They give you a CREDIT of $1 and 10 bonus Stars for their loyalty program
    (3 and 4 are sentence 2 in the quote above) This post was edited by my2cents at April 8, 2021 6:49 AM MDT
      April 8, 2021 6:40 AM MDT
    0

• 25818
    Bring it on and on....but  I am right. 
      April 8, 2021 1:25 PM MDT
    0

• 17011
    "Customers will order their drinks in a reusable cup and pay a $1 refundable deposit. 
    So, you pay a $1 fee up front and they give it back to you when you return the cup.  I'm not sure they're giving you anything at all.  If you don't return the cup, and I suspect most people won't be bothered - they have your $1.  Now your coffee costs $10 instead of $9.  I call that a money grab - not a refund or a credit. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 8, 2021 7:41 AM MDT
      April 8, 2021 6:38 AM MDT
    1

• 25818
    Correct you get nothing back if you do not return the cup.  Most will just consider it a new cup for a $1. 

In no case, are they giving you a $1 cash back. It is a credit...to be spent at Starbucks. 
      April 8, 2021 6:45 AM MDT
    0

• 17011
    It isn't a credit if you pay the $1 up front.  
      April 8, 2021 6:50 AM MDT
    1

• 25818
    It must be spent at Starbucks.  No different than buying a Starbucks gift card.

They are calling it a credit. I do not care what they call it. Just that they are not giving your $1 back. 

As we both agree most people just gonna keep the cup.
      April 8, 2021 6:55 AM MDT
    1

• 17011
    So taking your money without giving it back if you don't spend it in their store is called highway robbery.
      April 8, 2021 3:12 PM MDT
    1

• 42366

Even though the claim is that they’ll be sanitized between uses, my first thought before reading the whole thing and my lingering thought after reading it is skepticism as to maintaining cleanliness.  I’m not a coffee drinker, and I don’t patronize Starbucks stores or products. This will most likely never have anything to do with me directly. The overall social and environmental benefits, if they materialize, will be the closest I’ll ever come to benefitting from it. 
    ~

April 7, 2021 5:59 AM MDT
    2