Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The two doormen who watched an assailant assault an Asian woman did nothing to help until he left. He had a knife. What would YOU have done?

The two doormen who watched an assailant assault an Asian woman did nothing to help until he left. He had a knife. What would YOU have done?

Posted - April 7, 2021

Responses

Probably side kick his knee cap out of it's socket then call him names like punky a** b*tch  untill the cops showed up. Cheers!
      April 7, 2021 9:36 AM MDT

Knife or no knife you would have gone in and DONE SOMETHING to help that lady! Good man! Thank you for your reply Nanoose and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :) By the way I LOVE "punky a**b'tch". If I co-opt it which I might well do futurely I will give you credit for it. Just reading the words makes me feel better :)
      April 8, 2021 3:57 AM MDT

GOOD NEWS!! Those guys were fired like 2 days ago.
      April 7, 2021 9:41 AM MDT

That doesn't do anything for the victim. How is that good news?
      April 7, 2021 9:54 AM MDT

:)
      April 8, 2021 4:01 AM MDT

I  think it is good news because it will serve as an example that there is a consequence  to watching a hate crime and doing nothing. I hope they look at those 2 guys social media activity and see if they had any rasist  comments or were involved with hate groups. Cheers!
      April 7, 2021 10:33 AM MDT

If the doormen were on duty and intervened ... and the criminal got injured ... the criminal could sue the doormen AND their employer.
    Not just for actual medical expenses, but for "mental anguish" and "violation of civil rights" (if the criminal was any minority).

Remember, this is America ... even criminals can sue you if you injure them to prevent the crime they are committing.
    And juries have found in favor of the criminal.

So, you may think the doormen's best option would be to kill the criminal ... covered under "self defense".  Right?
    Nope.  Then the criminal's family could sue for "wrongful death".

In fact, I would be willing to bet the company employing them has a policy against allowing their employees to attempt to halt altercations, for just the reason of company liability if any party is injured.  If the doormen have a mediocre attorney, I bet they will either be (quietly) reinstated with lost wages and a penalty to the employer ... or the employer gave them a good "severance package". This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at April 8, 2021 4:01 AM MDT
      April 7, 2021 12:04 PM MDT

Instead of standing there and watching the event, all they had to do was dial 9-1-1.  
      April 7, 2021 1:08 PM MDT

Did they have cell phones?
    Were they allowed to leave their posts?

Not to mention many people have been told NOT to call 911, due to the number of recent officer-involved shootings/etc.
    And some employers have that as an "unofficial" policy.  Employees are told, but it isn't in writing.
      April 7, 2021 1:31 PM MDT

Everyone has a cell phone and they didn't have to leave their posts.  There must be a phone at the lobby desk in case there is an emergency in the building.  No one in NYC is ever told not to call 911 for an emergency.
      April 7, 2021 1:53 PM MDT

Not everyone L  I don't. Jes sayin'....Of course Jim does and whenever he leaves home he always has his cell phone with him and I can't remember the last time I went anywhere without him(it's been YEARS) so there ya go! :)
      April 8, 2021 6:36 AM MDT

April 8, 2021 6:34 AM MDT

An aside FYI m'dear. For awhile in California we were told NOT to rely on diaing 911. That was at the height of the COVID outbreaks when responders were not able to keep up with the demands for help. I don't carry a cell phone but Jim does and I expect most folks do. If 911 were working fine I wonder how long it would take for someone to get there?
      April 8, 2021 4:23 AM MDT

This, I believe, happened in Manhattan where there is probably a larger concentration of police cars patrolling the streets, so it may not have taken long for the police to arrive.  At the very least, those doormen could have shouted at the man and perhaps frightened him off, but they did nothing at all.  Shame on them.
      April 8, 2021 6:33 AM MDT

It seems with some folks ADRENALIN kicks in and they just react. With others maybe they don't have so much within to kick in. I'd like to think I'd do SOMETHING but unless I'm actually in that situation I can't be sure. SIGH. I wish I could. Thank you for your reply :)
      April 9, 2021 3:18 AM MDT

Agreed, and I doubt that I would physically intervene in such a situation, but I'm pretty sure I'd call the police.
      April 9, 2021 7:31 AM MDT

Well getting sued wouldn't worry me because I have connections with the family of a former US president (Jimmy Carter). Also the thing about kicking someone's knee cap out of its socket is they can be popped  back into place just as easy as they pop out. So just before the cops showed up I could pop the knee back in place then there would be no evidence of assault. Cheers!

Thought I would add a funny story.
    When I first met my connection to the Carter family it turned out that we had the same last name. So we wondered if we were related  but because I had no family in a Southern state in the US and he had no family in Southern Ontario we concluded that we were probably not related. Then he noticed a guy wearing shorts and the guy had some pretty bonnie white legs and he shouted out - hey nice legs and I said hey that is one of my jokes maybe we are related. This post was edited by Nanoose at April 8, 2021 6:30 AM MDT
      April 7, 2021 3:01 PM MDT

April 8, 2021 6:31 AM MDT

Assailant was armed - which exonerates the security staff, who can use anything including LETHAL force to subdue him.
      April 7, 2021 4:14 PM MDT

April 8, 2021 4:34 AM MDT

OK Walt you are joking aren't you in a super huge dark humor way? If the criminal WHILE IN THE ACT OF CRIMINALING/harming someone is injured he/she can sue and win? That can't be right or legal. That is simply an invitation for bad guys to do whatever the he** they want and not only get away with it but sue for damages. That can't be right. What is the possible LOGICAL justification for that? Thank you for your thoughtful if scary as he** reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      April 8, 2021 4:09 AM MDT

Nope ... it's actually true, and has happened.

Personally, I think the criminal would be forbidden from doing so - as it would be profiting from a crime, which (I thought) was illegal.  Like profiting from a book deal about their crime.
      April 9, 2021 8:13 AM MDT

I read that Zack. At first they were suspended then allowed back. Then they were fired. I guess it takes awhile to figure out the "right" thing to do. Thank you for your reply but I'd like to know what YOU would have done if you were witnessing it. Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      April 8, 2021 3:59 AM MDT

I would have gone to her rescue...somehow. Once my adrenaline kicks in, I am crazy.
      April 7, 2021 2:44 PM MDT