Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » As built guns? Home built guns? No serial number. No way to trace them. You do MAKE YOUR OWN don't you?

As built guns? Home built guns? No serial number. No way to trace them. You do MAKE YOUR OWN don't you?

Posted - April 8, 2021

Responses

Well, I do not and would not; but it's possible for someone with the right tools and knowledge, and no morals, to do so. Though a home-made gun could be nearly as dangerous to its user as victim.
    '
    '

A few years ago in England, after a shooting using an old gun that had been re-activated by its owner, some lawyers wrote to Parliament, or to their Members of Parliament, proposing that ownership of metal-working machine-tools be registered in an attempt to prevent such amateur arms-making.

The idea was thankfully, quietly dropped. For a start there was no evidence of home-armourers being widespread, but it would not stop gun-crime which is thankfully, fairly unusual in the country anyway.

Further though, it would have been a  bureaucratic nightmare; a crushing administrative and probably financial burden on thousands of unimpeachable amateur crafts-people - vehicle enthusiasts, model-engineers, vintage-machine preservers, etc. - and their supporting traders. It would also carry the taint of assumed potential guilt. 

Who proposed it? Barristers. People with a vested interest in Parliament making laws to "solve" imagined or exaggerated problems; especially laws unlikely to affect them (the lawyers) personally.     
      April 9, 2021 2:43 PM MDT

Of course everyone knows america is the world's worst (or best depending on your "values") country vis a vis guns. They are worshipped adored sanctified defended protected supported prayed to and slept with. The more you wthe betterer you are. What bullsh**! But such folks grew up on bullsh** so they don't know any better. You see the result of that quite clearly. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Durdle! :)
      April 10, 2021 2:53 AM MDT

People have been making their own weapons forever...nothing new. 

I have never built a gun...but it would be cool to do. 
      April 9, 2021 8:42 PM MDT

Knives yes! GUNS? Well what's stopping you? Just put it on your list of "things to do" and VOILA! Thank you for your observation and your confession. Cool rocks. Maybe when you make your gun you can post a picture? And then your kids can make their own guns too! Geez how fun is that? Happy Saturday to you and yours m2c.
      April 10, 2021 2:00 AM MDT

Yes. Guns. 

Yes it could be a family project. :)

I have to get a 3D printer though.
      April 10, 2021 5:02 AM MDT