Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever see the movie "SOME LIKE IT HOT"? Men dressed as women. Inherently funny. Women dressed as men? As funny or not so much?

Ever see the movie "SOME LIKE IT HOT"? Men dressed as women. Inherently funny. Women dressed as men? As funny or not so much?

There was a movie titled "Victor Victoria" in which I think Julie Andrews protrayed a woman playing a man playing a woman. Not sure of that. Also Barbra Streisand was in a movie where she dressed as boy for part of it.

Remember Melissa McCarthy portraying Sean Spicer on some comedy show? SHE WAS BRILLIANT I thought.

But which is funnier?

Men dressed as dames?
Women dressed as guys?

Why?

Posted - April 9, 2021

Responses

Doth thou rememberest thine Shakespeare?  Back in his time is was illegal for women to act.   Yep, fair Juliet was actually a man in drag.  The shrew Katherine was also a man in drag.  Men have been playing women for hundreds of years.

I am not a fan of actors of ANY gender crossdressing. 

I never watched "Yentl"  (the Barbra Streisand movie you mentioned), and I found "Victor/Victoria" rather dull.  I did NOT like "Some Like it Hot"  for the very reason that the men dressed up as women (very unfunny movie!!).  SNL does a lot of sketches where actor portrays a character of a different gender.  While I find a few to be nearly spot on at whom they are imitating, I really don't like those kind of skits.

The only exception was the movie, "Connie and Carla".  Of course, they were women dressed up as gay crossdressing men.

This post was edited by Shuhak at April 10, 2021 2:54 AM MDT
      April 9, 2021 2:24 PM MDT

Also Kabucki theater right? All men no women. I was not alive during Shakespeare's time Shuhak. I thought Melissa McCarthy's takeoff on Sean Spicer was BRILLIANT! But your view is coming from what you believe to be "moral" or "immoral". I do not share those views with you. Different strokes. I think it would be so sad a life if your outside is male and your inside emotions thoughts feelings were strictly female. Or the other way around. Being TRAPPED in the wrong body is nothing to revile in my opinion. I like being a female. I think guys have a much tougher life. I wouldn't want to be one. But I'm lucky. I always felt female and never had any desire to be other than that. I don't expect you could ever put yourself in the place of such a person. More's the pity. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 10, 2021 1:40 PM MDT
      April 10, 2021 3:00 AM MDT

No, I know you weren't alive at his time, but you were probably taught his works in school.
      April 10, 2021 1:43 PM MDT

In high school I was on an Academic track planning to go to college. I do not recall ever reading any Shakespeare in High School. I attended Junior College and had a Liberal Arts major Shuhak. I did take a class titled "Masterpieces of Literature" and I expect we must have touched on Shakespeare but I honestly do not recall that. Later on as an adult I hounded bookstores and bought a small book of Shakespeare's Soliloquies. I cannot remember ever reading an entire play in school or on my own. The closest I came to Shakespeare was seeing the movie "Shakespeare in Love.", "Romeo and Juliet", "Othello" or other such ones as that. Pieces of my memory are gone due to the chemo I had in 2008 so maybe I did study Shakespeare and just don't remember. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      April 11, 2021 2:21 AM MDT