Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Prince Philip renounced his Greek citizenship and became a British subject when he married Elizabeth. Would you do that for someone?

Prince Philip renounced his Greek citizenship and became a British subject when he married Elizabeth. Would you do that for someone?

Renounce your country and embrace the country of the person you married?

I can't see me renouncing American citizenship for anyone or anything. You?

Posted - April 10, 2021

Responses

I think there was more to it than that. He didn't have much choice. The Greek royal family was exiled.

He joined the Royal Navy, was Mentioned In Despatches after the battle of Matapan, and left the Navy when Princess Elizabeth (who he'd already married) become Queen, making him Prince Consort. The position is honorary, not constitutional, but with a lot of duties.  Some think if he'd stayed in the Navy he may have become an Admiral, possibly even Sea Lord; as a working officer, not in some sort of honorary post. 
      April 12, 2021 11:05 AM MDT

Thank you for providing that information to me Durdle. I did not know. Still would you renounce citizenship for any reason? I cannot imagine me doing it especially since I am FIRST GENERATION AMERICAN and that would be a slap in the face to my parents. What I wonder between thee and me is if the meg/harry marriage will last. He has given up a lot for her and I wonder if she will prove worthy of it? She did not exhibit any class or regard for her husband's family. I expect Archie will be deprived of having a relationship with his father's family. Even if what she is alleged to have said was 100% TRUE (I did not watch/listen) that should have stayed inside the family. Thoughtless it was in my opinion. Outsiders are allowed to have them aren't they? Maybe one day she will tire of Harry and move on or he will have had it with her. TRUE LOVE between them? Maybe. I just can't see it from here. Thank you for your information-filled reply m'dear! :)
      April 12, 2021 11:18 AM MDT

No, I don't think I'd renounce my citizenship, but who knows what any of us might do if the need was great enough?

As for Harry and Meghan... well, only time will tell. I don't know all the details in that, nor why Harry and his  brother are not on good terms. It is a sad situation and especially so for Archie (I believe there's another on the way, too) but not drastic outside of the family. After all, the country and monarchy survived a King abdicating to marry the woman of his dreams!
      April 16, 2021 1:09 PM MDT