Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » How does a police officer mistake a taser for a pistol?

How does a police officer mistake a taser for a pistol?

Report is that the officer in the most recent killing of Daunte Wright, 20, in Minnesota thought she pulled her taser, but it was her gun.  

Tasers

Pistols:  Sig Sauer, Glock 19 and Glock Gen 4

Posted - April 12, 2021

Responses

That’s like the differences in media interpretations of people in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, 2005. 

The caption of photos/videos showing a large group Black people entering flooded stores and removing merchandise identified them as “looters”.  The caption of photos/videos showing a large group White people entering flooded stores and removing merchandise identified them as “survivors seeking supplies”.

April 14, 2021 8:54 PM MDT

You're showing pics of responsable people, with a profession, in their 40' or 50's, who've had a background check, and can afford to purchase firearms.
      April 14, 2021 3:24 PM MDT

Well, thanks to Officer Potter, Mr. Wright will never get to be 40 or 50.  
      April 14, 2021 9:42 PM MDT

Stu, Stu, Stu.

I’m confused. Just days ago, you stated (paraphrased): 

“I find it difficult to dislike anything about anyone I don't know personally.” 

And:

“But rather than personalize it in a judgmental way, I just remain neutral.”

Now, however, you apparently have absolutely no problem with doing exactly that which you claim you don’t do, or don’t like to do. I wonder why and/or how your personal ethics seem to shift when the subjects are not Hollywood elites but, as you found necessary to point out in the case of Daunte Wright, the 20-year-old who was killed by the Minnesota police officer who used a pistol instead of a Taser, “But how stereotypical is it that this scared and vulnerable citizen barely out of his teens was already a father? Not that relevant here, but interesting.”

And:

“But it happens disproportionately among the poor and less educated.”

Does this mean, by your own stated criteria, that you knew Daunte Wright personally, giving you the self-stated right to disparage him on points that in no way pertain to the facts around his death?  Where is your neutrality now? Where is your reservation against disliking anything about someone you don’t know personally?  [Before you try to wiggle your way out of that one, your dislike of Wright’s fatherhood at a young age is glaring in your statement, so please don’t try to pass it off as anything other than you looking down your nose at him.] It sure seems from my perspective that you espouse a conveniently hypocritical stance, but then again, since I don’t know you personally, I have no right to recognize blatant and obvious contradictions when they are laid out before me.

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/126311/are-there-any-actors-you-just-can-t-stand/view/post_id/886412

~

April 15, 2021 6:03 AM MDT

And where did I say that I disliked Daunte Wright, eh doctor?
      April 15, 2021 6:17 AM MDT

I’m way ahead of you on that one; I anticipated that you’d try to play the innocent role, which is why I included this above: [Before you try to wiggle your way out of that one, your dislike of Wright’s fatherhood at a young age is glaring in your statement, so please don’t try to pass it off as anything other than you looking down your nose at him.]

Your comments about him were not praise, not uplifting, not meant to be positive in any way, shape, or form, quite the opposite, they indicate your distain for him, your disagreement with how he has conducted himself in life, bordering on the holier-than-thou mentality, looking down from your ivory tower at the unwashed masses mongering in the gutters below you. You cannot pass them off as mere observations of facts, because had that been the case, there are positive facts that occurred in his life along with the negative ones. You choose to bring up negative ones. Furthermore, there was no valid reason to throw him under the bus for being a father already at the age of twenty. How does it fit into the conversation other than another element to show that he was not making life choices that you consider to be on a correct path?

Some may fold under your subterfuge of “where did I say I disliked him”, I’m not that naïve. Your hauntiness is palpable in your words. It’s an insult to anyone’s intelligence for you to pretend that they’re either benign or mere factiods. 

Words have meaning, and even if your supposed intent was to bolster Wright in any way (laughable in its implausibility), that’s not the way your words came off.

April 15, 2021 7:00 AM MDT

The innocent role? Seriously? First, I am not on trial or charged with anything here, nor are you a judge or juror. Second, you are not owed any sort of explanation. Third, I neither harbor nor have I expressed any personal animus for Mr. Wright.

I merely pointed out that there is a greater propensity to father children out of wedlock and before full maturity among economically disadvantaged and less educated young men than among, for example, those in college at a similar age. That's nothing against him personally, and you and I both know it's true.
      April 15, 2021 8:29 AM MDT

I have not told you that you either know a particular thing or do not know a particular thing, don’t tell me that I know something just because you believe it to be true. It is not a fact that I know your words were not against him personally, that’s just more smoke and mirrors on your part as you don your halo and wings in self righteousness. What I do know is that your comments arose from the conversation about Wright and included his life circumstances, even when phrased as a generality about people in those circumstances, you can’t escape or lie or pretend that you are doing anything other than referring to him. It most certainly is something against him, it is not a favorable statement at all.

It’s ludicrous to say that I am not a judge, yet you used judgement in determining your opinion of Wright.  Don’t misunderstand my position as being the “we should never judge others” or “being judgmental is wrong”, because that’s not what I’m stating. Humans use judgement of others every single day in many types of ways, both positive and negative. Case in point, in your judgment of what I’ve written here, I am wrong. That can’t be ignored or successfully argued as being incorrect, inaccurate. As such, judgement of others is not the issue here. The issue is you saying that I’m not a judge. If you have the right to form an opinion of something that I write, then you is it wrong for me to form an opinion of something that you have written? You judged, it’s fine. I judged, and I’m wrong. More of your hypocrisy has just been pointed out to you, you may not have realized it without having it splayed open for you, so chew on it a while before climbing back on your throne. 

You don’t owe me any explanation, that’s true. I exposed your two-way road of thinking, backed you into a corner about it, you realize you’re caught, and resort to the mum‘s-the-word surrender. A simple question about movie performers and you’re too good to say anyone has ever done poorly on a film because you don’t know them personally, butter wouldn’t melt in your mouth. A 20-year-old Black man with  sagging pants, a criminal history, an inability or unwillingness to obey police officers gets shot and killed by them, and you pipe up that he fathered a child at an early age. 

Your comparisons of socioeconomics as part of the conversation about police officers  killing minorities reeks of your elitism.

April 15, 2021 8:59 AM MDT

And so it goes.
      April 15, 2021 9:02 AM MDT

And why did she even draw it? Unarmed suspect being stopped for a minor infraction?
    I was stopped (and fined) for driving with an expired plate. The officer placed a hand on the tail light (to leave a print), then approached the door. Didn't even unbutton his holster, no need to.
      April 13, 2021 5:18 PM MDT

The suspect was phyically fighting with the officers.  And had an active warrant for his arrest.
      April 13, 2021 5:49 PM MDT

Which the police did NOT know when they stopped him. Hit him with a truncheon, he goes down and stays down. Alive. Maybe with a bruise of two, slight concussion, possibly even a broken bone, but ALIVE. The suspect was unarmed. Not even a knife.
      April 13, 2021 6:06 PM MDT

We do not know that they did not know it.  Local police know the criminals in their town.
    He was able to fight off several officers.  And get into the car and drive off. 

Yes, a video of 3 or 4 cops (or even just 1) hitting a person with a batton would just make everything better....
    They would still be stealing and destroying the neighborhood....errr peacefully protesting. 

People need to be taught....do not fight the police. 
      April 13, 2021 6:24 PM MDT

It’s quite telling that you protest so strongly (and continually) on the side of people who take lives as opposed to standing up for a life that is lost. 

:(

April 13, 2021 6:15 PM MDT

Yes. I will generally side with the police against a criminal 99.9% of the time.

That said...I have stated she will get manslaughter. As that is what she is guilty of. 
    I have said Chavin will also likely get manslaughter because of the law on the neck hold being legal. Personally, I would give him murder....but the law as they are...that is not going to happen. 

But yes I will generally always side with the police. 

This post was edited by my2cents at April 13, 2021 6:40 PM MDT
      April 13, 2021 6:31 PM MDT

It’s truly a shame that you don’t even realize what you’ve just written. You probably assume you’re correct, but you’re not. You’re as wrong as a person can be.

April 13, 2021 6:36 PM MDT

You’ve since edited your original comment:

”Yes. I will generally side with the police against a criminal 99.9% of the time.”

I have copies copied it here so that my reply above will not seem out of context.

This post was edited by Randy D at April 14, 2021 8:18 AM MDT
      April 13, 2021 7:18 PM MDT

Yes....I was editing while you were replying.
      April 13, 2021 7:30 PM MDT

How many people have to tell you that Chauvin's hold on Floyd's neck was NOT LEGAL?????
      April 14, 2021 7:56 AM MDT

The Chief of Police there testified that the attempted hold was legal. It was not performed correctly.  But the attempted hold was legal at the time. 

I do not think it should have been nor should it be now.  But I do not make the laws.   I do not think the neck should ever be used to control/subdual/take down/etc a suspect. 
      April 14, 2021 8:14 AM MDT

If you perform a hold the wrong way IT IS NOT LEGAL.  What is it about that you do not understand?
      April 14, 2021 8:19 AM MDT

If that is the case, then he will be convicted of murder....not manslaughter.
      April 14, 2021 8:33 AM MDT

It was a female officer, and she is being charged with second-degree manslaughter.
      April 14, 2021 10:28 AM MDT

Chauvin is not a female. 
      April 14, 2021 10:34 AM MDT

Kim Potter is. She's the officer in this shooting.
      April 14, 2021 11:18 AM MDT