Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » If you’re flipping through channels on the remote, what are some movies that make you stop and watch until it the ending?

If you’re flipping through channels on the remote, what are some movies that make you stop and watch until it the ending?

Here’s my partial list:

Almost any of the early Laurel and Hardy movies.

Numerous film noir classics.

“It’s A Wonderful Life”

“The Bridge on the River Kwai”

“Blackboard Jungle”

”Spartacus”

“Cool Hand Luke” does it for me every time. 

Almost any Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.

“Von Ryan’s Express”

“A Bridge Too Far”

“The Longest Day”

“The Sands of Iwo Jima”

“Kelly’s Heroes”

“Tora, Tora, Tora”

“Stalag 17”

“The Battle of the Bulge”

“Buck and the Preacher”

“Car Wash”

”The Boys in Company C”

“Alien” (the original)

”An Officer and a Gentleman”

“Platoon”

”Silverado”

”Terminator” (the original)

”Full Metal Jacket”

~

Posted - April 15, 2021

Responses

EDIT: I forgot to post the video clip!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Some of those movies blew me AWAY!!

"The Boys in Company C" -- emotionally stayed with me for a long TIME!! Very strong movie for me --

"Tora, Tora, Tora"  grabbed me and never let go; i saw it at a pretty young age

the original "Alien"   -- I'm spoiling part of my answer to my own question about a favorite line in a movie -- mine is here - -

PLOT SPOILER!! "ALIEN"!!!!!

spoken by Veronica Cartwright 'Lambert' --- "You admire it." 

At the 1:59 mark -- the first time I saw the movie, that little line struck me as so honest. Everyone is yelling at the robotic guy there on the table but 'Lambert' just quietly speaks, almost as if she were thinking out loud. And 'Lambert' is my favorite character in the movie. In some ways, I most identified with her. She seems the most human to me - - she is not afraid to be afraid. :)  And Cartwright is way up there on my list of actors/actresses who are always superlative to me. :)

For me, the first movie to come to my mind  -- "A Christmas Story"

But "Alien" would be right up there, too.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 16, 2021 5:46 AM MDT
      April 15, 2021 7:21 PM MDT

So many. 

Yesterday I finished Back to the Future. I'll always finish Love Actually and The Shawshank Redemption. 

Of those you posted, I'll stop and watch "An Officer and a Gentleman". 
      April 15, 2021 7:46 PM MDT

I see you 'liked' my answer up there - - you nailed two of the three quotes I had in my question about favorite lines in a movie - - now you know the third.  :)

And I had posted a couple of replies to you in that thread in my question. Unsure if you saw them but I talked about agreeing with you about how movie trailers ruin movies.  :)
      April 15, 2021 8:08 PM MDT

Yes! I was going to reply to that and my phone rang and I got distracted! :)

I miss notifications sometimes. I was just thinking about that question again, though. Even before I read your reply here, I was thinking about other favorite lines. 

I'll go there now. Thanks, Welby!
      April 15, 2021 8:17 PM MDT

Wait, Ansley, you went to answer your phone, but all I heard was it going straight to voicemail! I’ll call back, so pick up this time! I want to arrange a snuggle huggle/movie night with you. I’ll wear the bottoms of my silk pajamas, and you can wear the top. You pick the movie and make the popcorn, I’ll have the cocoa butter lotion for your massage. Don’t forget to pick up; I’m dialing right now!

~

April 15, 2021 8:30 PM MDT

Wait... you didn't call me! Why didn't you call, Randy? Liar liar, pants on fire. 

I don't like cocoa butter lotion. I like shea butter. :) 
      April 15, 2021 8:50 PM MDT

Pick up, pick up!  Oh wait. I see my mistake, I mixed up your number with Jane’s. That’s a violation of the last eight restraining orders, I guess I’ll be hauled back into court again. (You and I will have to postpone.) Grrrrrrr. 

~

April 15, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

I LIVED (intentional use of that word) the part of Lou Gossett, Jr’s character, Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant Foley, US Marine Corps! I was a Drill Instructor myself, and I loved seeing how he handled that role.
     I have a thing about authenticity of anything military in entertainment, but specifically when it has to do with the USMC. I’m extremely detail-oriented, so even the dialogue, jargon, interactions between people of various ranks, mannerisms, wearing of the uniform, haircuts/grooming, handling of weapons, vehicles/equipment, names of bases/installations, timeline accuracy in historical context, you name it, if a movie gets it wrong, I will notice. Gossett played that part beautifully. He was still Hollywood, of course, but his percentage of Hollywood to military authenticity was closer to 15% Hollywood and 85% militarily authentic, much better than many military-related movies (for example, “Top Gun” was closer to 60% Hollywood and 40% military authenticity).

~

This post was edited by Randy D at April 15, 2021 10:43 PM MDT
      April 15, 2021 8:24 PM MDT

Sentence 1 - That doesn't surprise me a bit.

As for the rest of your reply, well... can I just start calling you "Dad"? Your list was just about enough, but this puts it over the top. 

April 15, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

Wait, the Dad reference is too er, um, creepy, given our eventual hooking up. I may be like him in many ways, but I don’t want anything to detract from the way you see me as Randy Candy. (I wouldn’t want any of this to seem weird.)

~

April 15, 2021 9:07 PM MDT

Hmm... I think the not weird/not creepy ship may have already sailed, Pops. 

April 15, 2021 9:14 PM MDT

Lol.

(I’ll keep the cat vat of Shea butter ready anyway for when you come to your senses.)

~

This post was edited by Randy D at April 16, 2021 8:46 AM MDT
      April 15, 2021 9:18 PM MDT

Cat? Are you thinking about the W.A.P. question? 

April 15, 2021 9:21 PM MDT

Doh!
    :(
      April 15, 2021 10:33 PM MDT

None, If they a half hour into, I don't watch.
    'Car Wash'? Seriously. Right up there with 'Used Cars'.
      April 15, 2021 8:32 PM MDT

It’s not your list of choices, it’s mine.

-

April 15, 2021 8:46 PM MDT

"Airplane!"
    "Blazing Saddles"
    "How to Train Your Dragon" (2010)
    "Connie and Carla"
    "Hot Fuzz"
    "Top Secret"
    "Forbidden Planet"
    "WALL-E"

April 15, 2021 9:41 PM MDT

• Just to name a few...

Goodfellas
    Dazed and Confused
    Lost in Translation
    Any of the Batman movies
    High Fidelity
    Any Star Wars
    LOTR
    Harry Potter
    Back to the Future
    Blow
    Saving Private Ryan
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Goonies
    Independence Day
    The Rock
    Con-Air
      April 16, 2021 5:46 AM MDT

PLOT SPOILER!!!!  "SAVING PRIVATE RYAN"!!!!

I only saw the movie once but I think I'm remembering it correctly and that this is the movie -- but the scene I remember the most in that movie is at almost the very beginning. 

The front porch of a farmhouse --
    We see the scene from the "porch floor" angle
    We see the scene from the floor, behind a woman wearing a long dress
    A government vehicle is pulling up on the road in front of the house

The woman screams (or just faints?) and falls to the porch floor because she knows the news will not be good

Powerful scene to me.  This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 16, 2021 10:45 PM MDT
      April 16, 2021 8:37 PM MDT