Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Music » Would you please post a song that you love that you think will surprise your fellow Muggers?

Would you please post a song that you love that you think will surprise your fellow Muggers?

But you really have to love the song, for real. And try to surprise us! 

Posted - April 17, 2021

Responses

Oh Canada (V2) by Classified Feet  they are the group that sung Inner Ninja. Cheers and happy weekend!
      April 17, 2021 10:38 PM MDT

That's going to be hard to beat for best song! What a cool song, and it is surprising because it's rap, and I don't think of you with rap. But it's message isn't at all surprising - with how I think of you, at least, buddy. ;)

Thanks for posting this! 
      April 17, 2021 10:46 PM MDT

The relative "newness" of this one might surprise a few folks ...

April 17, 2021 11:42 PM MDT

I'm thinking about that 80's band you like of 'Electric Blue' fame here in the US - IceHouse, isn't it? I don't think Snow Patrol is too far a reach. 

I like that song and Snow Patrol. This one appears in my mix on youtube frequently. I like it that much!

April 18, 2021 1:44 PM MDT

Even though I am not religious, I love all the Oak Ridge Boys music including gospel songs. This is probably my favorite.

April 18, 2021 4:41 AM MDT

This is definitely the most surprising so far, Jane! 

Interestingly enough, I was thinking about my own surprising choice and thought about a similar sounding group from the same era as a possibility. I genuinely like this song. 

April 18, 2021 1:49 PM MDT

This song gives me chills.

April 18, 2021 11:47 AM MDT

I love that one! 

It is surprising, since you recently said you're not generally a fan of love songs. Very lovey, that one. :)
      April 18, 2021 1:53 PM MDT

True, but when I first heard this I wasn't thinking of that.
      April 18, 2021 4:49 PM MDT

Romantic love, you mean? 

Yeah, I don't think I've been into the romantic sort of love song for quite a while. Not that I can't appreciate the genre, of course. But I think you've got to be either in a place of having romantic love in your life or longing for it to fully appreciate mushy, gushy love songs.  

This is a surprising song choice from you, to me, at least. 
      April 18, 2021 5:04 PM MDT

But I think you've got to be either in a place of having romantic love in your life or longing for it to fully appreciate mushy, gushy love songs.”

You’ve made a good point here; I have a different angle. Think about how young you were when (or if) you first began hearing popular music in general. Not children’s songs, nursery rhymes, not anything specifically aimed toward very young children, but the types of songs geared toward teens, young adults, adults, etc. Some children are exposed to songs like that because their parents are listening to them, or they’re played in conjunction with a tv show, even some commercials and jingles include lyrics that might not be directly intended for two-year-olds, yet babies and infants and toddlers hear them, pick up on them, and it sometimes helps form the basis for the songs he or she will enjoy in later parts of life or throughout their entire lives.

I remember a lot of the R&B songs that my mother listened to when I was about two years old, perhaps younger. (Originally, I was going to name the specific songs, but I decided not to because I’d be dating myself.)  Regardless of song type or song genre, many song lyrics capture us because of how they sound, how catchy they are, etc. It doesn’t even matter that the lyrics make sense or not, often they don’t, and in some cases, lyrics in languages we don’t know or don’t understand well are also catchy. This is true for love songs too. I had no idea what romance meant, nor sex, nor romantic love, nor sexual love, nor lust, yet there were numerous song lyrics that included exactly those themes. Innocently singing along with them, falling in love with the tunes and the words, my repertoire for music favorites was formed in my early years, long before I was even capable of truly knowing what was a love song or what it meant to love or desire a person in those ways, or has ever been in a situation outlined in song.

Fast-forward to the times when I began to get into those situations, and later points when I was “between conquests” (cough, cough).  While a particular song that reminds me of a particular woman or a particular time in my romantic life might not be my cup of tea for the moment at hand, the genre itself is never off-limits to me at all.  For me, I can’t and/or don’t have to be in a romantic place in life to thoroughly enjoy romantic, or sexy, or lusty lyrics. (And that’s not just the Harem-Master in me talking. Grrrrrrr.)

~

April 18, 2021 7:01 PM MDT

Good points, and I agree. I said fully appreciate, which I think for me means relate to in a personal way. Maybe. 

The genre is never off-limits to me, either. I only meant that it's been a while since I have heard a new-to-me, romantic love song and really relate to it and fully appreciate it - like, Google the lyrics and see if it becomes one of THOSE songs that I fully appreciate, appreciate. 

Makes perfect sense now, right? 
      April 18, 2021 7:13 PM MDT

Yes, thank you. 

(Gee, Granddaughter, is Googling the lyrics of new songs you’ve just heard or just heard about a thing these days? Heck, I remember when we had to wait months and months for lyrics to be published in “Song Hits” magazine or “Tiger Beat” magazine to figure out each word. Even then, those magazines only printed the lyrics for a few songs each issue, and half of them were new songs while the other half were oldies. With the sheer volume of songs being released, we only had access to printed lyrics for about 25% of them. I’m telling you, you whippersnappers these days . . . )

~

April 19, 2021 6:06 AM MDT

Or by buy the album and hope the lyrics are in the liner notes. Or tape the song from the radio and play it over and over again until you know them. Or sing them wrong in front of your friends and someone laughs and says "It doesn't say 'Hold me closer Tony Danza', it's tiny dancer you dumba$$"!

If for nothing else, I couldn't live without Google for the maps and for song lyrics. 

(That sentence sounds awkward, but I don't feel like restructuring it. I'm just going to leave it to annoy Stu.)

I appreciate that you post the lyrics here frequently. I just about have YouTube trained to default me to videos with lyrics when I look up a song! See, there are useful things about the constant monitoring of every stroke we take on the ole' keyboard!  This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at October 23, 2022 7:03 AM MDT
      April 20, 2021 5:12 PM MDT

Talk about dating myself, one song that's been buzzing in my head recently is:

Who's that coming down the street?
    Are they shovels or are they feet?
    Lean and lanky, skin and bone
    With clothes a scarecrow would hate to own...

Bing Crosby on Disney's "Adventures of Ichabod Crane"
      October 21, 2022 9:51 AM MDT

Norman Greenbaum was born in Massachusetts and raised in an Orthodox Jewish home.   This post was edited by SpunkySenior at October 9, 2022 10:29 PM MDT
      April 18, 2021 1:37 PM MDT

I picture you really digging this song in 1970, Spunky! I think coming of age in the 60's/70's would have been really been something. 

Thanks for sharing. The message is certainly surprising from you! :)
      April 18, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

I still dig this song.  In fact, when I hear it in the car on the highway, I open the windows and turn it up full blast.  I thought you'd find it surprising. :)
      April 18, 2021 2:38 PM MDT

Jew for Jesus, eh?
      April 18, 2021 4:50 PM MDT

Not me - I just happen to like the beat. :)
      April 18, 2021 9:20 PM MDT

I like it, too. One hit wonder.
      April 19, 2021 8:09 AM MDT

I preferred Doctor and the Medics' cover of that one. Greenbaum didn't quite get the "fuzz box" (producing the distort and overdrive effects) quite right, "de-tuning" a valve amp is tricky (it took George Harrison months to get the balance right for Revolution and Helter Skelter). As a result, there are feedback issues throughout. Steve McGuire had the advantage of effects pedals, which hadn't been invented in the sixties.
      April 20, 2021 4:24 PM MDT

I'll take your word for it. :)
      April 20, 2021 4:30 PM MDT

“Wake Me Up Before You Go Go” by Wham!, 1984.

I was listening to this song one day when had been in the Marine Corps for a few years. My Sergeant, who was at least ten to twelve years older than I was and had been in the Corps for many years longer than I, heard me listening to the song and he almost had an aneurysm. I didn’t care, I kept jamming to the song. Some of the other Marines also tried to give me a hard time about it, but that meant nothing to me, I just ignored them.

“True” by Spandau Ballet, 1983. 
      Years later, back in 2000, this song came on the radio while I was at work, my eyes lit up and I began grooving to it. A co-worker of mine who had been an officer in the US Army Special Forces couldn’t believe it. “Are you wearing a skirt and panties under your clothes?” he asked me. “What? What’s wrong?” I asked him. “It’s a great song, I love it.” His face twisted in a disapproving scowl, he asked, “Are you absolutely sure you served in the Marines?” “You just don’t know good music,” I told him, “now be quiet and let me enjoy my song.”

“O.P.P.” by Naughty by Nature, 1991.
      My favorite line from the lyrics: there’s no room for relationships, there’s just room to hit it! (Ok, maybe that one won’t surprise anyone about me.)

“The Battle of New Orleans” by Johnny Horton.
    “Love Will Keep Us Together” by The Captain and Tennille.
    “Oh, Mickey” by Toni Basil.
    “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler.
    “Let‘s Give Them Something To Talk About” by Bonnie Raitt.
    “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt.
    “On The Dark Side” by John Cafferty from the soundtrack of the movie “Eddie and the Cruisers”.

Dozens more.

You know, this is a great question you’ve posed. I can’t think of others right now, I’m sure that when I put my mind to it I’ll be able to come up with more surprising answers. Be on the lookout for them, please. My musical tastes, a lot of which I’ve shared on these pages before, are so wide and varied that I’ll be hard pressed to shock and amaze, but I will try. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at October 9, 2022 10:29 PM MDT
      April 18, 2021 4:23 PM MDT